2006 Busa. Please help. Some concerns.

Doctor G

Registered
Ok so I've owned this busa about 2 weeks now. For the most part I'm happy but here are some things that I am not liking:

At low rpms when cruising in peak traffic or puttering around CBD areas, the bike starts jerking if I have it on constant throttle. I have to either accelerate gently or decellerate. Either way I can't hold it on constant throttle at below 3500rpm for more than say 3 seconds. Is my fueling out? Bike needs a remap of sorts?

Secondly, fuel consumption seems quite high. One that needle gets to the half way mark I can watch it move. @ 160-180km/h I get about 8.6L/100km. Might as well use the car to work. Again, do I need a remap?

Bike has a full yoshi system and a filter. No PC or anything.

I have the same type setup. I get pretty good on the highway but around town, it drags it down quite a bit. On the other issue, I gear mine down one if I get in real low RPMs.

Mine seemed to do that. It had a TRE and full exhaust when I bought it. I took off the TRE, added a BMC air filter, marble mod and PC3, then had it tuned. Smoothed it right out.

Ok so I've owned this busa about 2 weeks now. For the most part I'm happy but here are some things that I am not liking:

At low rpms when cruising in peak traffic or puttering around CBD areas, the bike starts jerking if I have it on constant throttle. I have to either accelerate gently or decellerate. Either way I can't hold it on constant throttle at below 3500rpm for more than say 3 seconds. Is my fueling out? Bike needs a remap of sorts?

Secondly, fuel consumption seems quite high. One that needle gets to the half way mark I can watch it move. @ 160-180km/h I get about 8.6L/100km. Might as well use the car to work. Again, do I need a remap?

Bike has a full yoshi system and a filter. No PC or anything.

i did the conversions... 3 gallons for 62 miles? wow that is absolutly horrible. thats not even 21 MPG. i average with full system and gear drop still 35to 40 MPG even with spirited rideing

How many km/miles are on your scooter? Possible it needs to be sync'd or have the valves adjusted. Also, what is your sitting idle?

i did the conversions... 3 gallons for 62 miles? wow that is absolutly horrible. thats not even 21 MPG. i average with full system and gear drop still 35to 40 MPG even with spirited rideing

Really? I get about the same mileage as the OP and I think it has a lot to do with my riding style, i.e. always in the 7000-9000 rpm range. I basically just ride around in 2nd or 3rd gear and almost never use 4/5/6 unless I'm really opening her up.

If I do ride in the lower rpm's I get significantly better fuel economy...but who buys a Busa for that?

With the full yosh and filter change you need a tune. Either Have the ECU flashed or buy a PC and download the map that fits your mods. Are you sure that the bike is stock otherwise ?

Mine does the same jerking that you speak of. I was told that it's just the factory map, but if you have the ecu flashed with a good tune, it would smooth it out. But, with you having the full system, you should be getting that done anyway. Like, MC said too, depending on how many miles you have on her, you may need to get a TB Sync also.

Go somewhere and see someone who knows what they're doing and get the ECU checked or add a PC. I have slip on exhaust with a PC and I get 43 mpg average on my road trips. Around town, I have no idea because I don't ride around town. But I've never had a jerkie throttle OR poor fuel mileage, but if I did, the first thing I would look at was the PC and/or ECU. :beerchug:

Thanks for the responses guys. I can't say for sure there are no other mods on the bike. The mileage is 9800miles.

And the jerking happens if I coast between 2500-3700rpm. I know someone's gonna say you shouldn't be riding in that rpm but in traffic situations it happens.

And the mileage I get is on highway commuting. To do 180kmh you're still under 6000rpm so I dont' see why my mileage can be so horrible. My GSXR1000 had to rev much harder to ride these speeds and it used far less fuel.

I'm going to get it dyno'd with the stock ECU and see how it changes. Not ready to drop more $$$ on a PC right now.

a baseline dyno pull tells you just that...baseline figures (tq, hp, AFR, etc.) and stock ECU is left alone (no tuning)

Maybe hold off till you can get a PC with a canned tune (for your mods). Or better still, go with the ECU Editor and then have a competent tech flash your stock ECU during a dyno/tune session

My 2006 would do the same thing at rpm range, but only in 2nd gear. It only has bolt on exhaust, custom map, K&N air filter, marble mod.

To fix the problem, I just don't ride at that speed/gear.

Back