Yet again (local biker dies)

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Motorcyclist Scott Andrew Smith dies from injuries in Wednesday crash on County Road 464 | Ocala.com

Motorcyclist dies from injuries in Wednesday crash
By Austin L. Miller
Staff writer

Published: Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 11:29 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 11:29 a.m.
OCALA - A motorcyclist injured in a crash Wednesday morning has died.

Authorities say Scott Andrew Smith, 48, died at 4:36 p.m. Wednesday at Shands at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

Florida Highway Patrol troopers said Smith was riding a 2007 Harley Davidson motorcycle westbound on County Road 464 approaching Midway Road when he rode over some sort of sludge-like debris on the roadway. The material caused the bike to overturn on its right, ejecting Smith, who was not wearing a helmet.

Smith’s death is the traffic-related second of the month and 10th this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was particularly interesting, this was a week ago today. I rode down that same road.
As I'm riding to work I see quite a few emergency vehicles in
the road. As I went thru the intersection....whhhOOAA...I saw nothing in the
road but it was like riding on frozen brake fluid the length of the intersection, my bike
almost went sideway but I pulled out of it and went to work not knowing what was going on.
I suspected it was an auto accident and the cars leaked something I didn't see.

I came home and read this...someone else apparently could not ride it out...

R.I.P.....
and everybody else...WEAR A FREAKING HELMET. :banghead:

sucks, bikes are all over the place out here with the 60* days we've been having. Shocks me to see it theres still a ton of crap on the roads out here (gravel, mag chloride patches water from plow piles melting then freezing at night)

been there done that with the winter gravel, i'll wait till april-may

RIP rider

if you are going to ride this time of year (like i and many others do), make sure you give it enough time for the sun to thaw the ice, watch anywhere such as intersections and shaded curves that might hold debris or frozen stuff, and have it back in the garage once the sun goes down and any liquid on the roads begins to freeze again...be as safe as possible out there while still enjoying the ride

i live about a half mile from where this happened. i was on my way to work and saw the fire trucks and ambulances, they were loading him on the stretcher as i made a left onto 464 from my side street. i saw the bike laying on its side, i said a little prayer for him. i just assumed a car hit him. i ran thru whatever sludge was on the road also, i was in my car and it started sliding like i was on ice. kind of scary i almost rode my bike that day, but something told me not to.

why can't people just wear helmets?.... it shouldn't be about what brand of bike you ride it should be about saving your life. AGATT!! you know what they say.. You can lead a horse to waterbut can't force em to drink it. I feel bad for the rider, to a point. noone forced him to ride without gear. IMO

Back