Which Tire...assistance needed??

Deno_n_Philly

Registered
Well I got on here last night and asked about pipes and ppl killed it for me.. Actually getting a pair off of another member. Next question.. I have no idea on this.. I need new tires, I think..
I have 08 with stock tire that have 4500 miles..
I don't race, burn, tricks or anything
Bike 24 hr storage kept
I would have just generally google motorcycle tires and bought some cheap touring tires.. but my question is..

WHICH TIRE????

I like to cruise, but go 175 on the highway when I want...

Thanks ...:bowdown:

2011-02-06_15.39.56[1].jpg

2011-02-18_12.17.29.jpg

Deno, tires are like oil Everyone has their favorites.

I need a sport-touring tire so the Avon Storm ST's are a natural choice. I get about 3-4 rides out of them. :laugh: My front goes twice as fast as the rear (easy throttle-super lean angles).

displayimage.php

I switched to dunlop Q2's. Competition Accessories is selling a set in our size for $219!
Posted via Mobile Device

How much ya wanna spend?:rofl:

I run the Shinkos, I am old old man and I only nail it straight aways and like to get lots of mileage outta my tars.

I have the Metzler M3 on mine. I like the single compound better then the dual. they wear faster but have a better grip (to me). There are a million tire threads with a lot of information. It really comes down to your choice. Some people love the tire that others hate.

As fare as knowing when to change your tires.. there are ^ lines on the side wall of your tire, follow that to a small bump in the grooves of your tire and if those bumps are flush with the grooves then thats a good time to change them. your manual should also show you an example.

Like Pashnit said,tires are a great debate. so much so there is a section in this forum dedicated for tires. What most will agree on is that tires feel different from rider to rider.

Threads showing is a good sign you need new tires. :laugh:

Tires

I go with Avons, especially since I mainly do LD Tourning. They seem to wear the best, or rather wear the least and provide all the traction in wet or dry I ever need. :cheerleader:

I'd go with an extended mileage for the rear tire! ie. Michelin Pilot Road (2), Pirelli Angel ST, Dunlop RoadSmart, etc.

I run a Dunlop RoadSmart on the back and a Dunlop Q2 on the front of my CBR1000RR!
My friend runs a Pirelli Angel ST on the back and a Pirelli Corsa on the front of his Busa!

Great combination IMHO!

Q2's all the way! Amazing grip and satisfactory longevity. If you got 4500 out of the stockers you should get at least that out Q2's.

However the more I hear about running a hypersport front and sport touring rear I like it. I have a garage full of Q2's to go through this summer but when i finaly get around to buying street tires again I'll probably go down that route.

I have a Bridgestone BT023 dual compound rear touring tire and a BT016 dual compound hypersport front on my busa. In my opinion, this is about as good as you can get for a midrange between grip and mileage. You get a planted front with the grip of a performance tire and the mileage of a touring tire with grippy sides for twisty play. I can drag my knee anytime I like and double the mileage.

The only downside I have found is you can't get greedy with the throttle on corner exits until you pick the bike up on the meaty part of the tire.

SHINKO RAVENS!!!! Dual tread... Good hold for cornering and i consistantly get 6k miles out of them!!!! Iron pony 108. For rear. Some. Ebay deals 180 for both!!!:poke::whistle::laugh:

Deno, I will always swear by The Pilot Power 2ct ROAD... it has never let me or my riding buddies down.. we love this tire... long trips, dragstrip, touring, twisties.. it does it all!

stir...stir...stir.... I HATE the Avon storms. PR 2Ct not much feel and good grip, Dunlop Roadsmarts had good feel but would spin up on me, Now I'm on Metzeler ROADTEC Z6 INTERACT so far I like them the best, I have to play around more with tire pressures but I like them, we will see how long they last. I do lots of touring and when I get to where I'm going I need them to handle.

What was that about oil and chain lube??? did someone say WD-40 :laugh:

I am looking up tires now and there are so many websites that say they are the best and do I need Z rating, or is W rating ok?
This is crazy...

If your strapped on cash Shinko 009 ravens, usually last me about 2.5k miles

spend an extra 30$ and get Dunlop RoadSmart average 6.5k miles. FYI im 400lb on a b-king with a twitchy wrist, so my bike eats tires like a fat kid in a candy store.:laugh:

Back