Scared of getting old

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
A few of the riders in our hood invited me to go riding this morning. First time I meet them, three guys around their 70's. Nice guys front a H bagger, then a Truimph tripple, V-Rod and me on the Busa. Fastest we did was 60, then we stopped for lunch. Jim complained about the bumpy road and Manfred said we were going too fast. The Busa did not notice any bumps and all I can remember is back-roads with zero traffick, mean twisties and a 3 mile straight with grasslands on both sides. Guess where I will head back to soon.:-) My two shoulder angels did a good job and I listened by staying at the back and not twisting the throttle.

Sigh, why do we have to get old?
Posted via Mobile Device

just plan on riding hard then icing your sore wrists knees and arse when your done :laugh: that's my plan anyway... I broke my right wrist when I was nine and it hurts once in a while after a spirited ride, worth the pain IMO:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Good job on not twisting the throttle, I'll bet that wasn't easy by the sounds of the roads you were describing, in saying that I ride with a few friends that...well if they have a 60mph day it is truely something but some others ( like one guy paticular) I sometimes go with is 75 years old now and rides a goldwing and sweet jesus:rofl:there is sparks flying off the running boards or else he is pulling a catwalk.Your only as old as you want to be.:bigsmile:

Must..... Maintain.......self...... O£¥% it......wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!:laugh:

Heh, Heh, I'll be 66 here shortly and it hasn't slowed me down.!!!
I usually find a spot where I can kick her up to 120 once or twice on a typical ride.

You know their ride might be tame but at least they are still livin life. It is such a waste I see so many folks around me that have settled for sitting in front of a tv all day long day after day, that is it never anything else, they have allowed it to become the entire purpose of their existance. They have no job, no relationships, no hobbies, no activities, nothing, nadda, zip ... and they wonder why they feel like crap. I feel very fortunate that their are fellas here with 10 or more years on me that inspire me to push myself to always do more not less. Everyone has to get old but nowhere does it say you can't enjoy the ride.

I ride with a bunch of vets and my dad. Small town so riding buddies are slim. Real nice guys but every now and then I have to open it up and just wait... until one day I rip her wide open for a while and start slowing her down and the out of no where this 63 year old on a Suzuki C90 passes me?!? We get caught up for our usual 50 mile break and I ask him "where did that come from?" he smiled and told me he was not to old to show me how to ride.

You dont really get older mentally. You get to an age and that’s where you stay. Its like that with girls as well. I mean no matter how old you are 18-23 old girls will ALWAYS grab your eye. :laugh:

Did a poker run last year for a good cause, but the entire ride never exceeded 50 MPH, and each stop required consumption of alcohol. I did not consume. I've riden with others on cruisers, they just don't ride fast, young or old.

I don't really worry about the getting older part, just hoping I get everything done in the time alotted. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm not sure age plays that big of part in riding style....until you literally have significant balance, strength or reflex issues. At some point I guess I'll either get a 3 wheeler or a turbocharged Miata for trips! As for now, I'm 63 and no one younger passes me on the track because of an "age issue". If I get passed, it's usually because the rider is a better rider than me and/or his bike is just as fast as my Busa but 75 pounds lighter! It really does tax your patience when riding with "slowbies" on a long street ride, that's for sure. That's usually when I turn on talk radio or 80's rock on my Zumo and zone out!

DM_17600.jpg

I used to ride with Christian Motorcycle Association, which is mainly made up of riders nearing their retirement or allready retired. At the time I had the ZZR1200 and I hated going on rides with them because no matter what rode we were on the speed limit was usually ten under....including freeways. We never went over 60 on the interstate. I couldnt stand it, so I used to leave the group on the freeways just to get out of third gear.
If that wasnt bad enough they would complain to me and tell me they would pray everyday that I would eaither sell the dangerous bike and get something safer or just slow down.

Funny thing is after I sold it I went to the dark side and got a Hardly, now back on the Busa. I can actually say I feel safer on the Busa and more in control on the freeways then with the hardly.

I left that group cause they were more like the antichrist association but then again I cant go into a catholic church without feeling like I am on fire:rofl::rofl:

Back