Oops, shifted without clutch

jeremy_283

Registered
I had my bike idling in neutral and I accidentally hit the foot shifter down, it killed the motorcycle but I was just wondering... do any of you think that could cause any sort of transmission damage?

not a problem...i shift mine without the clutch all the time, just not usually into first gear

I wouldn't say no damage, but have to agree with the others. All moving parts eventually get wear and tear. Be careful on the clutchless shifting. It's a long throw from 1st to second on these bikes and a lot of Gen I's have second gear issues.

You didn't hurt your bike

I wouldn't say no damage, but have to agree with the others. All moving parts eventually get wear and tear. Be careful on the clutchless shifting. It's a long throw from 1st to second on these bikes and a lot of Gen I's have second gear issues.

You didn't hurt your bike

+1

I believe in clutching everything 1-6 but my race partner never uses the clutch to shift...but I still would not recommend shifting into 1st without the clutch, only one time shouldn't hurt a thing but that's got to be bad news eventually if it were a habit~!~

The purpose of the clutch once the bike is moving is to unload the transmission allowing the shift. You can do this with the throttle, no difference.

Anyone who has ever driven a big diesel truck knows all about clutchless shifting, both up and down.

On the track I never use the clutch for up shifting as well as some downshifting.

Just curious if and how far the bike moved when you did that ?
Did it come close to going over on you ?

Just curious if and how far the bike moved when you did that ?
Did it come close to going over on you ?

I just did it accidentally at a gas station a couple of days ago.. I think I've only done it once....maybe twice... It jerks forward about a half foot, that's all. I know your tall so it wasn't really a big deal as far as worrying about dumping the bike.

The worst could happened is that you dropped the bike, but if you manage to keeep it upright its all good.

Back