question about rearsets

jch364

Registered
ok so ive noticed that some folks are getting new rear sets. My question is this. What are the advantages in having them? What do they do that makes it worth spending that kind of money for them? thanks

Mostly bling...I have Sato's on 2 of my bikes and I love them...but I don't really NEED them. You can adjust your foot position some, but if you're happy with the stock set up...don't worry...you can spend the extra $$$ on gas and tires!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I had the same question. Seems like our members have a lot of extra money to waste on this stuff. But, it is their money!

I am getting them so that I can adjust for a little more leg room and cornering clearance. Have you ever noticed how monsterous the stock foot pegs are?

If there is no real advantage then yea I would leave them be and spend the money on tires for sure...

The biggest advantage is adjustment. Allowing the foot peg to be moved upward for more lean angle.

However, on your busa adjustable rearsets have little advantage since the fat chick is so thick the plastics become the lean angle barrier.

The biggest advantage is adjustment. Allowing the foot peg to be moved upward for more lean angle.

However, on your busa adjustable rearsets have little advantage since the fat chick is so thick the plastics become the lean angle barrier.

I have to agree with the above, but I also went to them for a little more peg clearance away from the ground. (moves your footing back and up more. I tagged both my peg feelers last year pretty good and wanted more space between my feet and the rode. The other advantage is, is feel and connection to the bike. They are hard mounted and not rubber mounted. So when you push into the peg, it is direct and responsive. The stock one's flex some, before you get a positive input. The next thing is the shifter lever being ball bearing instead of a bushing, shifts smoother and better. Also again no rear set flex too, so when you shift the shift lever up or down it is in a straight line and all your foot power goes in one direction. I took my rear sets off due to it binding my left knee. Half the time it hurt and the other half it didnt. So I took them off and put the stock ones back on. I can tell a difference switching back to stock. Miss the rear sets I had on, but not the pain in my knee!

Got Gilies on mine and had em on all my bikes since I fitted my first set purely for comfort and ride position helps take the weight off my wrists

52848b14-44ed-e68b.jpg

I've been wanting a set of black Vortecs since I got the bike, just have never bought them. May well happen this spring as part of the rebuild.
I'm dragging the peg feelers pretty hard at the track too, so the adjustable rearsets will help some there.
But the main reason I want them.. they look cool. And I like cool looking stuff.:laugh:

Short threadjack here..
They have one of those at the dealership a coupla burgs over from me. Other than your picture, that was the first one I've seen besides the 'Zuk site photo. Whoever does 'Zuk's web photo stuff seriously needs to be fired. Web site photo is terrible, but the bike in person is beautiful. Have talked myself out of getting a new bike this year (and taking on the accompanying debt), or I'd already have one too.
Very pretty bike you have there.:thumbsup:

Bieng 6'3" with size 11 boots and 33" inseam, adjustability is key reasons, looks are second.

A sidenote to the rearsets is we just sent these out a day ago to Robert for his Gen-II Busa. Want to skip the Vortex and go for the Gilles, let me know.

Just plain sexy. :bowdown:

How hard are they to change out?

Rearsets are relatively simple swaps. Just three bolts into the frame & you can take off the stock ones. Adjust the position you want, plus dial in the shifter rod. All good. Note with Vortex, you'll also need to purchase a brake switch unless you don't need the rear brake light (ie trackbike).

txbikerdude_3.jpg

txbikerdude_2.jpg

txbikerdude_3.jpg

txbikerdude_2.jpg

Aftermarket rearsets do look trick but functionality is their central contribution. Yes, you have to get your legs and knee joints used to them, especially if you are 5"11" or taller, and especially on the street on long sport touring rides.
Adjustibility is a big factor, as stated but if you are a track rider, the OEM peg ends are unacceptible for "balls of feet" control. I'm suprised that I'm the only one, so far, with such a strong opinion on rearsets as required equipment for hipo riding/control. I would add that, with suspension aftermarketing upgrades and 1" raised rear, I have never scraped my plastics (maybe I just don't go fast enough). Doyle

P1010604.JPG

P1020647.JPG

P1000369.JPG

removing of the stock,rubber mounted rear-sets, and install aftermarket will change the "smoothness" of the ride. Solid mounted pegs will transmit vibration and engine "buzz" to the rider.

just something to think about, i like the "cadillac" ride of the big girl....

I personaly like the vortex better. The vortex has a really aggressive peg that does'nt let your foot slip.

Aww man, I think I had the wrong impressions.. So are you guys saying that rearsets will not make the ride a little more bearable on long trips? I wanted some to give me more leg room and stretch my legs out a little more. I have a 38" inseam so I need all the room I can get.

Aww man, I think I had the wrong impressions.. So are you guys saying that rearsets will not make the ride a little more bearable on long trips? I wanted some to give me more leg room and stretch my legs out a little more. I have a 38" inseam so I need all the room I can get.
No, you can lower them.

Back