Stuck on a rear shock removal step. Help please.

TallTom

Registered
I have my 2003 in pieces replacing my bodywork. While I was waiting on parts to arrive I decided to upgrade my rear shock. I have the replacement shock. Supposed to have been a simple drop out, slide in new one project.

I am stuck at the last step of physically being able to drop it out.

The steps I have taken this far are:

Rear off ground on stand.
DogBones removed.
Both muffler cans removed.
Gas Tank Removed
Bottom shock mount with knuckle are unbolted and dangling. Knuckle loosely attached.

Top shock mount has been unbolted and is free.

The shock is completely free, however it physically will not pull up and out or down and out due to clearance.

I can't go down because the top of the shock horizontal housing is too wide to go down through the hole in the swingarm.

I can't go up because I can't pull the shock up through that hole because of its length. I am very obviously missing at least one step here.

I searched to no avail and I can't find the shop manual here like it used to be.

I'm sure this has been done a couple of thousand times here. But it is my first time and I am doing, or not doing, something that to me isn't obvious.

I am not in a hurry as in has to be finished in an hour, but I am all tore apart and this was supposed to be a quick side job before I finish my main task of putting the bike back together. So it would be nice to have this sorted out by this afternoon or tomorrow if I can.

I can't monitor here so I will have to check in a few hours when I get home later.

Thanks in advance guys.

The manual says it comes out thru the top, nothing special.

untitled.JPG

I figured it out.

When you have the bike on a rear stand and remove the shock the bike has no links to rest on and the swingarm travels all the way up until the tire makes contact with the under fender.

I discovered that, while still keeping the rear on stands, I had to jack up the bike to allow for the swing arm to pivot back down, thus opening up that gap and hole to be larger.

The steps stated in the manual page provided, says support the bikes weight. They could have included the part about jacking up the frame separate from the wheel being up on a stand.

Thanks guys. It did help just to see that the steps called out is where I had gone. Didn't dawn on me to jack the frame up separate from the rear wheel being supported.

I discovered that, while still keeping the rear on stands, I had to jack up the bike to allow for the swing arm to pivot back down, thus opening up that gap and hole to be larger.

Sorry, I didn't see this until you posted the fix. I went through this last fall while swapping mine.

What did you replace it with? I slipped an 09 shock on mine.

I did an Eibach 1000#. I found that in 2-up I could bottom out the suspension without too much difficulty with any type of twisty.

Recently I rode a 6'1" 150ish lb. female (read not at all overweight) and I bottomed out twice just from normalish riding.

Plus OEM I think its rated at 650#. I'm 240 all by myself. Add the bike weight and I'm still entering into the high end of useable ratings.

Seemed like the right thing to do since I had it all torn down now. I never want to be here again......lol

Next time try running a 5/8" steel rod through the swing arm pivot and support the frame from there so that the rear hangs freely. I think there are some pictures of that on here somewhere.

Back