Exhaust and MPG

Medic

Registered
Ok, just had a quick question. I have a full yoshi exhaust on my 06. It is stock other wise. It is a full 4-2-1 CF. Without a reflash or PCIII, will my fuel mileage drop? I have only run 2 tanks through thus far, and I'm only getting around 30mpg. Will a reflash or PC help with this? I get on it every once in a while, but I would say that I am pretty conservative when I ride. Thanks.

the mods you have (stock map or reflash) should not drastically affect your mileage. more than anything, it is the TWIST of the WRIST that directly impacts mileage.

Most of my mileage has been around town too. I guess it will pick up on some longer rides.

mods in sig with a combination od normal and spirited riding i avg. around 35mpg. I can get 50mpg if i baby it on long distance trips. Its all in the tune and your RIGHT HAND :thumbsup:

Most mods that increase power don't come completely free when it comes to mpg, although yours could possibly even improve it through higher breathing efficiency and lighter weight.

That said, most folks do a mod for power and then keep "testing" the improved performance, even just listening to the sound difference of a new pipe. As others have said, just a little extra wrist action goes a long way to killing your gas mileage.

Medic, it's late and I'm tired but your question has me a little confused. You are running a full Yosh pipe and getting only 30 mpg...or you have just changed to a different pipe and getting different mileage..or you are going to change to another pipe and wondering what will happen to your gas mileage?
I have an 08 Busa and with stock everything was getting anywhere from 45-50 mpg depending on wrist action. Put a full titanium Brocks single sided race pipe on it...new carbon fibre wheels..basically dropped 50-60 lbs off of the bike and now am getting 35-39 mpg. Why? race pipe allows the bike to get more power...also the oem settings are notoriously lean...so when you open things up with an after market air filter...get rid of catalysts, baffles, and pipe allows the after exhaust to flow much freer without constrictions of an oem pipe...you get alot more power...and power means fuel economy goes bye-bye. Ain't the same bike I had before...and with carbon fibre wheels...it is as flickable a bike as a litre bike now. I hope this helped

Medic, it's late and I'm tired but your question has me a little confused. You are running a full Yosh pipe and getting only 30 mpg...or you have just changed to a different pipe and getting different mileage..or you are going to change to another pipe and wondering what will happen to your gas mileage?
I have an 08 Busa and with stock everything was getting anywhere from 45-50 mpg depending on wrist action. Put a full titanium Brocks single sided race pipe on it...new carbon fibre wheels..basically dropped 50-60 lbs off of the bike and now am getting 35-39 mpg. Why? race pipe allows the bike to get more power...also the oem settings are notoriously lean...so when you open things up with an after market air filter...get rid of catalysts, baffles, and pipe allows the after exhaust to flow much freer without constrictions of an oem pipe...you get alot more power...and power means fuel economy goes bye-bye. Ain't the same bike I had before...and with carbon fibre wheels...it is as flickable a bike as a litre bike now. I hope this helped

Sorry for the confusion. Basicly I am wondering if I get my ecu reflashed or get a power commander, will my bike be more efficient and get better mileage? Or does it really make a difference. I got my bike a couple weeks ago and it came set up the way it is with the yoshi exhaust. I plan on leaving it in place. Just wondering how to increase MPG.

the biggest thing that effects the MPG's is how fast and high you run those rpm's and how hard you twist that throttle.:thumbsup: if your worried about the mpg's drop the bike into C mode and you should get better then. i do a lot of commuting and put her in C mode and i get around 45 mpg's, but it feels like im riding a 600 then:laugh: but when i'm just tearing up the streets def A mode, just don't forget to put her back in A mode when some gsxr 1000 pulls up beside you and wants to run. i learned that hard way on that one:whistle:

With an after-market pipe, you are putting more air through the motor under all conditions, means you need more gas, the mpg will drop.

Same thing, when riding in cold weather, around 30F, compared to 80F, you will burn more gas at the colder temperatures.

I have stock pipes and once did a trip on my Gen II in C mode, 2up just for testing. Got 52 mpg calculating on the Busa odo, not sure how accurate that is.

I thought you had to edit the ECU or install a PC to run a full exhaust. ???

No, you don't HAVE to. The bike will run ok with stock tune and a full exhaust. It will not run too lean or do any damage either. The bike will however run better with a different fuel map, and ideally a dyno tune.

You have full exhaust and have not had the ECU flashed or PC ???

or you got the bike with the full exhaust already on it and the previous informer you he didn't do anything either of those things to it. ???

Its all about smileage :thumbsup: not mileage! :laugh:

With my turbo bike im lucky if I get 25mpg.... My right wrist just gets happy!

You have full exhaust and have not had the ECU flashed or PC ???

or you got the bike with the full exhaust already on it and the previous informer you he didn't do anything either of those things to it. ???

When I bought the bike, it had the exhaust. The PO stated that was all he had done other than a dog bone to lower it a little.

Little update: I rode about 150 miles today. I filled up and did a good 40 miles straight highway cruising at around 80mph. My computer was showing 41mpg. Sooooo...I am more happy with that. I think the in town start and stop was hurting me more than anything at this point. I will get a reflash or something soon though. Thanks for all of the help :D

Back