i need a little help

O3Busa

Registered
i was on the busa the other day and got on it in 1st gear. when i hit bout 50 or so the bike didn't cut off but the check engine light lit up and i couldn't give any more throttle. just shut off without actually shutting off. but the light when off and back to normal after just a few seconds. i got up to 50 or so, it did that, and i coasted on a slightly uphill road til i got to bout 5 or 10 mph and she kicked back in. whats the deal? thanks for yalls help in advance.

Sounds crazy but check your tip-over switch in the tail section. I've seen two different instaces where the bracket that holds the switch to the subframe has broken the spot welds and has this problem.

If other then those two instances the bike behaves OK, I would guess you have a poor electrical connection somewhere, and the reason it occurs at around 50 mph because you are hitting the rpm which causes a resonance in whatever connector is at fault. At 50 mph, your rpm would be about 6500.

I am guessing your rpm went down to zero when the problem occured because the ECU was smart enough to detect a major problem and shut down the engine. After a few seconds it turned everything back on, and since you were still coasting it behaves like a push start - the engine starts by itself.

You bike is '03, right? So, it's about 8 years old, and probably seen it's share of humidity, heat, and cold. I would spend a few hours cleaning all connectors on the bike. You gotta pull the fairings off (at least side panels). Open every connector, spray contact cleaner (wear eye protection), let it dry for a minute, inspect visually with a flashlight, clean any really bad residue, and finally stuff with dialectric grease and close it up. You'll never have a poor connection again.

Don't ask me how I know? :whistle:

If your problem is reproducable and consistent, try the same thing in 2nd gear and see if this happens at the same rpm. If so, that would be a good confirmation of the resonance frequency theory.

Let us know how it goes.

You may also check to make sure the switch on the kickstand is not loose.

Back