extended swingarm question

tgrant1024

Registered
Im planning on getting an aftermarket extended swingarm i dont want a fat tire just stretch the back a little bit... Whats a good length....

I have learned here that i think 3.5 is a minimal. I am doing the same and am judging how it would look when I do the fender eliminator to fill out the back of the bike. I am thinking about 4 maybe 5. I am not near mine to measure so I cant be for sure till I get home this summer.

I like the way some of the bikes look when they stick out that far but what comes to my mind is if my wife is on the back, how much road spray comes up from behind. I would hate to pay that much money for extensions or a whole new swingarm, new chain only to arrive someplace with a dirt line all the way her butt to her neck lol.

I have a myrtle west arm that is adjustable from 3 to 9 inches over. I'm guessing mine is set to about 8 and I love the way it looks. In my opinion the only thing that would look better is if it was a fat tire back there.

113.jpg

I would go with Extensions, alot cheaper, I think once you stretch her you will start thinking about that fatter tire, Seems to be a pattern, Then you wont have all that money tied up into a swingarm your going to have to replace.

But if your set on a new swingarm 4" is probably what your looking for by the sounds of it.

Although I'm stretched 7", I agree with Demmym. Get the extensions first, and then take it from there. You may want that fat tire later. :cheerleader:

DSC00071a.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

I have a fat tire and I am obsessed with it, or.so I'm told. Look around at pics to get and idea of how.long ya wanna go, get extensions first, can always sell em if ya want that complete arm later.
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Im running Myrtle West extensions set at 6 over and I love them. Gives the bike a very nice look with the rear tire out a bit. And as far as road spray i have yet to have any get on anybody except the one time i was forced to drive down a freshed patched up road and some of the tar covered excess gravel started to land on me but very little. Its well worth it though :laugh: Let us know what you come up with :beerchug:

hi,

i have a set of 6-10" genII extensions with chain if anyone is intrested. here is a pic of what they looked like on the bike

P1030185.jpg

well I just talked to the guy and if I bring my ride up to him (two hours away) he will do the swap for $1600. so here is what I get: 240 swing arm, 240 factory widened wheel w/ good tire, offset sprocket, chain, lowering links brake line. problem is, I don't have a way to haul it up there. if I get it shipped to me, it's 1500 and I just get the arm, rim and tire.

If your getting all that and installed for $1600 I would say go for it. Ride the bike up there let him do the swap, ride it back then go back up there to get your stock parts if needbe.

10" stretch is quite a bit....

Just hope he knows what he is doing.

If your getting all that and installed for $1600 I would say go for it. Ride the bike up there let him do the swap, ride it back then go back up there to get your stock parts if needbe.

10" stretch is quite a bit....

Just hope he knows what he is doing.

+1 it not hard to do the swap, but definitly worth $100.

well I just talked to the guy and if I bring my ride up to him (two hours away) he will do the swap for $1600. so here is what I get: 240 swing arm, 240 factory widened wheel w/ good tire, offset sprocket, chain, lowering links brake line. problem is, I don't have a way to haul it up there. if I get it shipped to me, it's 1500 and I just get the arm, rim and tire.

He may be a good guy and the swap itself is cake but i'm thinking that 100 bucks doesnt include cramming up under that back end and grinding the frame out to clear the chain. If it isnt i'd just go pick it up and do it yourself or that chain will be done by the time you get home

Back