zx12 vs busa

Lil guy Big Busa

Registered
ive seen quite a few vids of these 12's spanking our gen 1 busa, not sure if the rider on the busa in all the vids is a bad rider or is the 12 that fast, my buddy has videos of my bike with him on it racing against a 12 and a gen II and he jumps out in front immediately till about the end of the quarter the genII creeps by him, but he keeps 3 bikes on the zx12, the 12 has pipe pcIII and something else done to it, the 08 busa has pipe pcIII.

But the question is are the 12's that fast, is it a bike i need to be worried about, or are the riders in all the videos on the busa garbage compared to the 12 riders and thats why the 12 wins most of the time

There not slow, that's for sure. Get caught sleeping near one and you'll feel pretty silly, same with the liter bikes now.

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

yea the videos ive seen of them they are pretty fast, what i cant understand is how my bike can jump so out in front of our buddys zx12 with chad the original owner of the busa, (the guy i bought it from) and pull 3 bikes and hold it like he does, and the rider of the 12 is a good rider

chad can pull and hold 3 bikes on the zx12
leonard passes chad at about the end of the quarter
all these guys weigh up in the 220 range, i weigh 167 to 170 lbs, so im guessing ill have no problem holding both these bikes off right?

hmmm so which bike is still around... the 12 or the busa?
which bike is most often seen at a drag track... the 12 or the busa?
which bike is most often seen at a LSR event... the 12 or the busa?

the 14 is a better comparison. Can a fast bike who gets the jump beat a busa on the street... sure.

If the bottom line is should you worry about someone being faster than you on your busa... YES, there's always someone faster. Dont' sweat it. Any time someone wants to lign up against a busa they'll be sweating too.

the Gen1&ZX12 are pretty much dead even mod for mod as far as horsepower is concerned up until you start doing pistons,cams headwork,turbo etc then the Busa reigns supreme..I wanna know how a Gen 2 w a pipe&PC is losing to a Gen1 w a pipe&PC???

the Gen1&ZX12 are pretty much dead even mod for mod as far as horsepower is concerned up until you start doing pistons,cams headwork,turbo etc then the Busa reigns supreme..I wanna know how a Gen 2 w a pipe&PC is losing to a Gen1 w a pipe&PC???

my bike just gets him out the hole the gen II passes the gen I right before the end of the quarter

i have a video on my phone but it was recorded with a bad camera, and and its at the beginning of the race, thats just what everybody at the race said i wasnt even there

On a dyno the ZX12 pulls more peak power all day long with basic mods and stock. The problem is they just don't have the torque and the clutches are JUNK for launching...

my bike just gets him out the hole the gen II passes the gen I right before the end of the quarter

Are the bikes setup the same? If not, that's your reason unless the riders aren't equal. Swap riders on the bikes and see what the results are...

I have expeirence with both bikes as I have owned and ridden quite a few of them. When they came out, the zx-12 was meant to be the challenger for the busa. Sad for Kaw the bike was not faster but was deemed as fast. In a straight up challenge (stock to stock, and switching riders) the zx-12 was usually beat but only by a very small margin. It came down to rider error most of the time.

To agree with some of the above postings, it all depends really on what type of mods both bikes are running and then yes experience of the riders as well as weight. The Gen 2 bikes probably have less problems beating it do to the motor upgrades. You have to remember that they discontinued the zx-12 back in 05 I think. So it never had stock abilities to come close to the Gen 2. Hence the introduction of the zx-14, and then the introduction of the Gen 2.

On a dyno the ZX12 pulls more peak power all day long with basic mods and stock. The problem is they just don't have the torque and the clutches are JUNK for launching...
Really? When I bought my Gen1 brand new back in 2000 my buddy bought his ZX12 and we dynoed them BONESTOCK back to back(however long it took to roll one bike off the dyno&roll the other on)and my Busa made 160.1&the 12R pulled 160.9;each bike had around 500mi on the clock.
Then we started the basic mods and the 2 bikes were never more than 3hp off from each other up until he did a Muzzy 1270 kit&I did my 1397. I take it my experience was different than yours

It's all in the rider. A great rider on a 750 could smoke a noob on a busa.

Imagine playing Eddie Van Halen's guitar. Do you think you'd sound like him? Think you can play like him just because you're playing through his rig?

I never worry about who's faster etc. I don't need to validate my Busa. I think it's a downright awesome bike and that's why I have it. If a guy can pull a length on me or vice versa, I couldn't care less. Just enjoy the bike and be careful

hmmm so which bike is still around... the 12 or the busa?
which bike is most often seen at a drag track... the 12 or the busa?
which bike is most often seen at a LSR event... the 12 or the busa?

the 14 is a better comparison. Can a fast bike who gets the jump beat a busa on the street... sure.

If the bottom line is should you worry about someone being faster than you on your busa... YES, there's always someone faster. Dont' sweat it. Any time someone wants to lign up against a busa they'll be sweating too.

TY , you just saved me a bunch of typing, anyway take them to 130 much less 150 and it's game over. Twisted the throttle on a stock Busa too many times and pissed these dudes off.

Are the bikes setup the same? If not, that's your reason unless the riders aren't equal. Swap riders on the bikes and see what the results are...

they swapped bikes chad was the owner of the genI and Larry was the rider of the genII, actually chad sold larry the genII after he had it two weeks cuz he said his genI was more comfortable, and the after switching riders the genI would still stay ahead till the end of the quarter, maybe i got lucky and got a freak motor:whistle:

the reason i say the freak motor thing is ive had two buddies with cars with freak motors in there cars and they raced the cars same mods and switched cars and raced several more times and the end results were the same, one car always seemed a little faster weird huh

the cars were my buddys jaces 03 cobra vert vs lamberts 03 cobra vert same exact mods, they ordered the parts at the same time, same parts, same brand, and jaces car always pulled 1 car no which one of them was driving it, i dont understand it, i just watched it happen over and over and over again, so maybe my busa just has a really good motor from the factory that gives a little edge, ill dyno it and see when spring gets here:thumbsup:

Really? When I bought my Gen1 brand new back in 2000 my buddy bought his ZX12 and we dynoed them BONESTOCK back to back(however long it took to roll one bike off the dyno&roll the other on)and my Busa made 160.1&the 12R pulled 160.9;each bike had around 500mi on the clock.
Then we started the basic mods and the 2 bikes were never more than 3hp off from each other up until he did a Muzzy 1270 kit&I did my 1397. I take it my experience was different than yours

Don't get me wrong, I always beat stock or similar modded Zx12's with my BUSA but on the dyno they always had higher PEAK numbers. It's the power under the curve that killed them (besides the clutch) and AERO.

Not to mention look at the specs. To get the lower CC to compete they upped the compression (12:2.1 on the ZX12) and gave it more radical cams...

Heck, look at any of the tests from back in the day....

KINGS OF SPEED: ZX-12R NINJA vs GSX-1300R HAYABUSA

Suzuki Hayabusa vs Kawasaki ZX-12R - Sportbike Review - Sport Rider

ZX12's usually always dynoed higher stock or lightly modded. After that all bets were off, BUSA dominated....

as the owner of all three I can say.....

the ZX12 is a great bike, but the engine is much smaller compared to the Busa. This is why it is down on torque. The cable clutch always felt better, so my 60fts were better but the Suzuki always made up for this on the big end. even with the same mods, I was always .20 (two tenths) faster on the Busa.

the ZX12 needs to be ridden like a 600, lots of clutch slip and high rpm launchs.....

One of the big problems with both ZX12 and ZX14 is that the cylinder is cast into the case, while this is stronger, it means to go "big" you must pull the motor, and compltely dis-assemble the engine to machine the cyls. this is much more expensive. Also, the clutches were garbage. Spending $1k for a billet clutch just to replace the crappy stocker(that will blow apart if used hard) is ridiculous.

Back