[VIDEO] What exhaust is this?

mysql

Registered
I have a full 4-2-1 Akrapovic Ti exhaust. It's quiet.. anyone know what this guy has on his gen2? Also does anyone know if the akrapovic can, can simply be swapped with a slip on?

seem that video on here somewhere thought that was one of the members here but i have been known to be wrong once in while

I have a full 4-2-1 Akrapovic Ti exhaust. It's quiet.. anyone know what this guy has on his gen2? Also does anyone know if the akrapovic can, can simply be swapped with a slip on?

The Akrapovic muffler you have probably has a silencer that bolts into the end of it, or is riveted in. Remove it for a little more sound. You can also cut the muffler shorter, it's designed to be taken apart for repacking anyway. Drill the rivets out of both ends, pull the endcap off(Center tube of muffler is usually attached to that end) and remove the midpipe end. Now you have the empty muffler can. Cut 3" to 6" of length off the midpipe side, and the equal length off the center tube. Mark and redrill the holes on the end you cut off, rivet back togehter and it's done. Akrapovic's are usually pretty long mufflers anyway(helps keep them quiet)and the muffler clamp that bolts to the passenger peg slides, it makes them easy to shorten. They'll be noticeably louder without being obnoxious. Some other brands of mufflers may bolt up directly, some will require some fabrication, and some just won't work. Which will and won't is anyone's guess unless they have first hand experience with exactly what you have. Cutting a few inches out is free and you may even like the shorter look. I've cut several down over the years, all very simple with good results. Here's a before and after of the ones on my bike now, I cut 5.5" of length out. They are louder, but not enough to get the wrong kind of attention. Just a suggestion, good luck with whatever you do:beerchug:

SDC11031.jpg

SDC11047.jpg

If he has anything on, it is just a tip, there is no muffler / silencer.

I just pulled the muffer off the busa and drove to the local grocery store to get some milk. That sucker is LOUD now. It still sounds good, but the low rpm is nasty loud. I wouldn't want it that loud, so a tip replacement is out of the question.

I looked into the muffler, it it straight through tubing with holes, i assume it's wrapped with packing material.

Shortening it looks like the way to go. Cut it in half I think.... how about the packing material? Should I remove that too while it's apart? My SV had a M4 slip on, it was very loud, but I've never had issues with the law from it.

I just pulled the muffer off the busa and drove to the local grocery store to get some milk. That sucker is LOUD now. It still sounds good, but the low rpm is nasty loud. I wouldn't want it that loud, so a tip replacement is out of the question.

I looked into the muffler, it it straight through tubing with holes, i assume it's wrapped with packing material.

Shortening it looks like the way to go. Cut it in half I think.... how about the packing material? Should I remove that too while it's apart? My SV had a M4 slip on, it was very loud, but I've never had issues with the law from it.

Leave the packing in. Depending how deteriated the packing is, you may want to add the packing from the pipe you cut off back around the part you are keeping. The packing will keep you from having any buzzing or rattling. There's no need to replace the packing either, as it may quiet things down just a little:laugh:
You are also correct that the straight through perforated tube IS wrapped in packing material. That's all that's inside the outer shell. You may also want to cut off a quarter of the pipe first and see what you think. Just put a rivet on each end to hold it together so you can hear it. If it's not enough, then cut it to half. You can always cut more...but never put it back:laugh:
I hope it works out the way you like it:beerchug:

Back