buying 2011 S1000RR, any advice from owners?

spotrot

Registered
Love my 04 purple but it's kept out west for 5 months so I'm wanting the bmw for street & track bike.

It looks like buying a used 2010 saves only about $3k so the 2011 advantages appear to be:

a year newer when/if I sell
an extra year's warranty
any improvmeents (crank?)

Any advice? The local dlr is very good, and is taking $500 off the sticker.

Thanks,

John

I have a 2010 and the only thing I would do to mine right now is change the levers. Pazzo seems to be the only option at this point. I e-mailed ASV a couple weeks ago and was informed there is no ETA for BMW ASV levers.

I hear that the correct answer is to simply hang on ...

There a blast.

Make sure you get all the bells and whistles with the bike, it adds up but well worth it.

I bought mine brand new on October 30th so far I have only 1440 miles on it, it's put away for now until the snow clears.

One thing I miss is the all around torque of the busa, you throttle up a busa and it's there all the time, the s1krr you need to be around 7500up in the rpm's for her to come alive, but once it does there is nothing that stands a chance, with traction control, and gear shift assist wide open 14thousand rpm shifts this thing is just nuts. It's very light and nimble and brakes are just awesome.

With a 3year warranty axle to axle coverage with roadside assistance also makes it just great, get a flat and call BMW to the rescue:cheerleader:.

So far this winter I have been molding mine nicely

Throttlemiester
Pazzo shorties
Puig dark smoke db
Yoshi frame sliders, axle spools, oil and inspection plugs
Pazzo preloaded adjusters
Yoshi under tail
BMW oem heated grips

I am making this thing my all round bike, it's going on sport touring trips, 1/4 mile track, road course, just about everything.

You will be very happy:thumbsup:

The one I test rode was simply awesome, I would love to have one.

Thanks for the advice.

RE: Make sure you get all the bells and whistles with the bike, it adds up but well worth it.

My thoughts exactly. The 2011 I'm looking at has the ABS/DTC and shift assist. It also has the alarm which I don't need.

In case it is of interest to others, the dlr has a 2010 w/8k miles w/o the ABS/DTC and shift assist for about $12.5

It appears most dealers sell the 2011's with ABS/DTC and shift assist at around $16.3k in the three std colors: yellow, gray and dark gray. The reb/white/blue color scheme costs an extra $750 so those are usually $17.1k The alarm is $375 more.

Search via cycletrader and you'll see the prices are pretty consistent across the US. The ones that are in the high $13's to low $14's are w/o ABS/DTC and shift assist.

Some dlrs will knock off maybe $500 but some add on $500 or more for dlr prep.

And of course, there's always taxes added on.

If it prevents one nasty get-off, that alone is worth more than the purchase price to me.

Besides the busa this is one bike that really had me interested but i am thrilled with my choice but i still would love to own on of these. They seems absolutly amazing. :bowdown:

I haven't ridden one, but Dan absolutely loves his. It won't ever take the place of the Busa, but he doesn't regret getting it. If you can swing it, have one of each.

We have a number of the new beamers up here and I have heard nothing but praise from the owners. There are three of our locals who are racing this new bike and it doesn't appear to be any faster on the track than the Gixxer's or R1's.

I can vouch for the fact that this new beamer is not easy to pass! They are fast, no doubt!

There is another bike out there often overlooked that is tough to pass and it's the new aprilia! That bugger is quick as well.

The new bmw s1k is a nice bike! I would love the chance to ride one. I did ride on the track with one at VIR in october. For a stock bike it is quick and have respect for the bar it set. It was strong on the topend like my 09 1k. We were both running down 07/08 gsxr 1k's off corners and down the long straights. When we finally matched up, I was able to pull him off turn 11 on to the straight away north course and the south course after the oak tree turn. No draft pass either! It wasnt a run away... Just a brisk walking by. For what it is stock:thumbsup: But part may be rider and bike combo! My 09 has full m4 exhaust, ecm tuner, and -1 front tooth, which all may have been a factor. He came over to ask if I had cams in it as well as others on the gixxers. He said he was running with other 09 gsxr 1ks, and they werent as strong as my bike seemed to be. The new zx10 set up like my 09 is similiarly strong to a stock bmw s1000. But for the money OTD and full of options, you cant go wrong wih your purchase!

Back