Help! Bike wont start

Irish

Registered
So this is my first post here! Woot! I'll post a bio later :) So earlier today I started up my 2000 Busa made it about 15 feet and it died (its my DD). So i tried to restart it, i didnt hear that familiar hum when i turned the key and the neutral light was flashing, oil light was on, temp gauge was pinned to the top, spedo was at 58mph, rpm gauge was @ 4k and even after turning everything off, they stayed that way. Thinking it might be gas or oil, i went and got both, changed them. When that didnt work i took the battery out and charged it for a while. My battery charger does such and doesnt show any readings, just gotta kinda fake it there. Since charging the battery didnt work and i was tired of walking a mile each way over and over, i pushed it home. Stripped off the plastics and checked the fuzes...they were all fine. I'll be honest, i dont know much about bikes, im not a mechanic, im more of a "parts changer". If you guys have any ideas, i'd love to hear them.
Thanks !

try the fuel pump fuse again... test the fuse with a test light. If you didnt hear the humm the pump is bad.. or check the kickstand switch to make sure its up all the way... and double check the ignition on/off switch to make sure you havent accidentally flipped it

Under your seat there is a white plug, it may or may not have a cap on it. Use a piece of wire to jump two connections. The key switch must be on, but it does not matter if the bike is running or not. This is safe and will put the bike into what's sometimes called "Dealer Mode". On the dash the letter C will flash with a two digit number, that will be the trouble code. C00 means you have no codes, any number other than that can be referenced here to tell you your problem, should you get a code.
The picture below shows the plug with the cap on, it's easier to remove it. This may not solve your problem, but it's worth trying.

wire%20jump.JPG

I think I just read earlier today that someone said a wire came loose on the bottom of the pump. Argh, I gotta find that.

maybe i should elaborate a little more, doesnt even turn over. nothing happens when i depress the ignition switch (clutch pulled in, kickstand up/button pushed in, idiot button on :))

ok new story here, its now been sitting for 8 to ten hours, when i went to jump the plug, put in key turned and everything came on miraculously and i got -C00. then everything turned off and were back where we started, i cant jump it again to see what it codes now cause the dash wont come on. been messing around in there and touched something on the box behind the battery. light came on looked golden and started right up, so i must have a loose connection somewhere around there.

OK. Let's proceed slowly.

First, would be nice if you provided a bit of a history prior to the problem - any recent work done, new bike to you, etc.

Second, it seems that the sporadic nature of your problem points to a simple connection issue somewhere. When presumably poor connection is OK, the code 00 indicates that all you sensors, ECU and a bunch of other stuff functions properly. The dash before the 00 points that you TPS is adjusted jut right.

Your bike had 11 years to be exposed to moisture, so it's feasible some connections got oxidized and go bad at times.

I would recommend to spend a few hours and clean all connectors around the bike you can find. Take your time unplugging them - some of them are stubborn. For every connector - open, check visually, spray contact cleaner (out of the can; and put some protective glasses so nothing gets in your eyes), let dry, stuff with dialectric grease, and close back. You will have to take at least side fairings off. This includes battary connectors, ECU, FI connectors - any connector you can find. There aren't so many - many a dozen or so.

I had somewhat different symptoms - engine was dying randomly for a few seconds when riding - not a pretty feeling.

Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like you may have a grounding issue. Like IG said, go through and check all the wires you can find. Especally chassis grounds. If you were messing around by the battery when you had the spontaneous resurection, you may have a bad battery-chassis ground. That would kill everything. Good luck and let us know if any new symptoms arise.

Thanks guys, IG, Sixpack, Zoinks. I'm pretty inclined to believe its a ground at this point. The bike is new to me, i shopped around looking specifically for a 2000 and this one is pristine (other than this ground issue). So fast. I haven't personally done anything to it but the guy i got it from had some serious track time on it. As of today, it is running, i have no idea where the problem lies but now that i know what it is ill be able to fix it eventually. again, thanks!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Check the ground off the battery... The wire and clamps specifically and the ground block - lots bikes have what I've heard called a spider block or ground because it looks a little like a spider with wires coming off. Check this! Check the negative battery post. I think start from the battery and work back...

You are welcome bro. But you gotta nail it down. Electrical things tend to come back.

Definitely electrical. I would say first that it s either connections regarding the battery or the battery itself. Or your battery may be going bad; remember that every time your battery goes out, when you recharge it, it holds increasingly less and less charge.

I just replaced my whole charging system on my 99. (among a host of other things)

Back