Reflections

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
Well, it's a cold, bleak winter here in Ohio corn country and the Busa is polished and resting comfortably in the heated garage. It was -1 degs when I hit the sacko last night.
This morning I was reflecting on why I sold the Harley Street Bob. The 2006 engine in particular and perhaps the 07 had some peculiar problems, which gave me the feeling I was riding a ticking time bomb. I had a lot of time and money in the bike, but the clutch acted squirrelly and I knew that Harley had used Chinese bearings in the motor to save a few pennies. Now I love the Chinese people, they are great folks, but their metallurgical technology I'm NOT totally in love with. Thinking back to my Ford Festiva, which I loved dearly, I remember replacing the wheel bearings 5 times before I finally drove it to the junkyard. Yes, they were Chinese made bearings and they just wouldn't last. This is all leading up to what Harley called the IPB problem, i.e. (Inner Primary Bearing). Harley had thousands of these bearings go south and replaced many of them for free, with of course, MORE Chinese bearings. From what I've read, to save a few more pennies, they didn't put locating studs on the primary cover either, which further aggravated the problem with the IPB alignment. You never knew if or when the IPB was going to self destruct or seize up, so that didn't leave my mind at ease while I was riding. Then there was the problem of the strange acting clutch. When I first got my used Street Bob home, I inspected it very carefully and noticed that the bolts on the lower half of the cases seemed to be somewhat corroded. This finally led me to think that the bike had been in a flood somewhere. The dealer had sold it to me as a "like new bike". I took it back to the dealer and complained about the jerky/grabbing clutch and they agreed to "look" at it. They said that one half of the clutch plates were "DRY" and that they soaked the plates in primary oil to lube them up. I rode it for a couple hours and the clutch started doing the same thing. Half of each clutch plate being dry, correlated with the lower bolts being corroded, which even further indicated a situation where the bike had been sitting in water. At this point, rather than pursue it any further, I figured I was facing a LOT of possible problems with this motor and probably the best course of action would be to sell the bike. Seeing I was riding my beloved Busa 90 percent of the time anyway, I made the move and sold the Harley. Do I miss the Harley, not a whole lot. It did have a good comfortable riding position for long distance rides, that's about it.
Well, the wife flew down to Florida a couple days ago and is riding her Harley all over the place and having a wookie good time. She had it stored at a friends house.
That's about it here Bros. Hope you guys all have a good winter and an early spring.!!

Back