Percent Chance Of Rain %

MEBusa

Registered
Hello Busa Guys/Girls...

Those warmer days are approaching :cheerleader:. When you look at the weather forecast, before going out on a days ride, what % chance of rain, is your limit to leave the bike parked.

I was thinking 20% chance or less, I'm going. Anything above that I might leave it parked.

Just wanting to know, what others think. :)

depends on where i'm going or what i'm doing that day...there have been plenty of times i've headed out knowing i was going to get wet and sometimes it was already raining when i started...rain won't hurt you and it's always good to practice in all kinds of circumstances so it isn't as daunting when you get caught in inclement weather:beerchug:

If i am home and I want to ride, as long as it's not raining when i leave I will go regardless of the rain chances.
If i am away from home and i need to get somewhere, its slap on the rain gear and go even if it is raining.

This is a good question and I'm curious to know other's responses as well. I think what is more concerning is the thunder/lightning that is associated with summer showers here. You guys down in NC, I amazed at some of your thunder showers during the summer - they seem a lot more common and intense than the ones we get here in the Richmond, VA area.

mine is 30%...and i check the radar also..only thing is a pop up storm...but i always carry rain gear

Palm Beach county gets the third highest amount of rainfall nationwide annually.
Forecast during warm weather EVERYDAY is 50/50 so I go anyway.
With my phone and radar map I can usually stop turn around and ride around most summer thunderstorms though.
This time of year rain is rare.

depends on where i'm going or what i'm doing that day...there have been plenty of times i've headed out knowing i was going to get wet and sometimes it was already raining when i started...rain won't hurt you and it's always good to practice in all kinds of circumstances so it isn't as daunting when you get caught in inclement weather:beerchug:

Yep, me too.

If i am home and I want to ride, as long as it's not raining when i leave I will go regardless of the rain chances.
If i am away from home and i need to get somewhere, its slap on the rain gear and go even if it is raining.

Same thing.
Ace and I have a curse that it has always rained every time we ride together except for once.

You guys have it all wrong.20%-30% chance of rain is 70%-80% of sun! I usually ride in a 60% chance of sun.
But I am in Oregon so if I don't ride in a little rain my season is way to short.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here :thumbsup:

Try to avoid the rain. I have good gear, but it's just to easy to bust your arse in the rain. Bad roads in this area, the tractor trailers, lots of loggers have worn the roads out, dangerous in a car much less on a bike. I look more at the RADAR , weather guys don't get it right that often. You guys carry freezer bags for the electronics, cell phones, cameras ?

In the "A" it can either way. I feel good at hmmmmmm, 30% it all depends. Our stations for report for the entire state not just Atlanta, so it could be 40-50% but it is mostly in Northern GA.

Depends on temp for me. Bellow 50 and rain I stay home. I always check radar first. The forecast can usually be wrong. However its only 15 degrees here now so I won't worry about rain until March!

Try to avoid the rain. I have good gear, but it's just to easy to bust your arse in the rain. Bad roads in this area, the tractor trailers, lots of loggers have worn the roads out, dangerous in a car much less on a bike. I look more at the RADAR , weather guys don't get it right that often. You guys carry freezer bags for the electronics, cell phones, cameras ?

The only electronics I carry is the cell phone. If it's not on the bike, in the Ram Mount, it's in my Jacket pocket (Winter coat, water resistant). My tank bag, has a water proof, bag cover, I can use if it rains. Might not be a bad idea, to put a zip lock bag on board though. :)

I just get wet. If I am meeting people or coming home from a ride, its whatever happens. We rode all the way home from Eureka one year in a downpour. That was fun. Otherwise it just depends on my mood.

When the weather guessers start talking 40% rain we will abort, unless we can alter the plan to get around the wet stuff. Temp dosen't matter. Won't start out in the rain, but have been caught out several times.

When I go over the Sierras to ride with the NorCal guys, I use the Ventura luggage sport rack and in it I carry Tourmaster rain jacket and pants. I fitted them WITH my leathers on so I can be dry AND safe. (red sportpack shown but I've since gone to black)
The great thing about Ventura luggage is that you forget it's there so it's easy to pack "wetgear".......BTW, 60% chance of rain is my cutoff.

P1000724.JPG

P1000737.JPG

P1000733.JPG

The only people who predict the weather here in Florida are "Yanks and Fools"!
As I was told by more than one local born and bred Floridian.
I like to call it at the 50% and up chance. It all depends as I have actually ridden around showers as they are that local. Crazy as it sounds, I have sat at red lights and made u-turrns to avoid getting wet. I don't plan on getting wet going out but it happens. I will go out dressed and prepared for wet weather on purpose. I have improved my wet weather riding 100% since living here. It's a part of living here & I have learned to accept it and own it.

Its easy if the local weather says over 50% i'll ride and stay drive
If they say its 0% and gorgeous all day...I generally get soaked:poke:

But seriously i'm the king of freak storms the rest of the time i know theres a chance and see it coming and try to beat it, i win some and loose some

Back