Another one falls!

dragonbusa

Registered
I just read in dragzin that gateway international is closing, same company that closed mempis raceway. That sucks! I guess drag racing is another sport pricing its self out of existence.

The way they treated us racers it is no surprise. They almost did away with the weekly program, and hassled people constantly

I"ve never been there,But I know what your saying. I"ve been to races where they act like there doing you a favor to let you spend you money.

THey had a track rental by a local HD dealer one weekend. This was when my friends and I were just getting into racing bikes, and did not have full leathers. The year before, the event was almost anything goes, but we called to check if we could race without leather pants. Woman tells us, "Full face, boots, gloves and jacket is all that is required"

We show up and they won't let us run over 120mph in jeans! At the time, I was pissed.... But I understand the rules. The next year, they did away with the streetbike class completely, and only had a bracket program once a month. ???

THe bad part is that Al Anabi wanted to buy the place, but it is owned by three people. The biggest part is owned by the motorsports group that owned Memphis, but two smaller parcels are "leased" from individuals that refuse to sell their property.

story i heard (haven't tried to see if it is true) is they owe around a million in back taxes...the guy that was telling me said they would be lucky to give it away to someone who was willing to just take on the debt...as i said before, this is just hearsay

Most Dragstrips around Chicago treat motorcyclists like second class citizens. The only exception was when Broadway Bob owned and ran Great Lakes Dragaway. He would shut down the track to cars the almost the whole day and just let the bikes run. Because of that there was always a huge turnout of bikes and a lot of grudge racing.

Good fun but that was a long time ago and now they usually just squeeze the bikes in here and there between the cars. You just get tired of waiting for your little window of oppurtunity to run.

Most Dragstrips around Chicago treat motorcyclists like second class citizens. The only exception was when Broadway Bob owned and ran Great Lakes Dragaway. He would shut down the track to cars the almost the whole day and just let the bikes run. Because of that there was always a huge turnout of bikes and a lot of grudge racing.

Good fun but that was a long time ago and now they usually just squeeze the bikes in here and there between the cars. You just get tired of waiting for your little window of oppurtunity to run.

It was not just the bikes they treated like this, they did it to the cars as well.

Spoken by someone who has never done it or just doesn't understand it!:whistle:

No, never had the desire.

It's not a spectator sport. The grand stand is at or near the start. Can't see the finish, just have to look at the boards for the winner. After you've seen 6 burnouts you've seen them all. I've been to several local drags and there has never been any spectators. Even the bigger ones are scarcely attended. I record the NHRA 3 hour Final Elims so I can fast forward thru all the crap. 5 to 8 mins wait to see a 4 sec race.......boring. No one that I've ever brought to a drag race has ever wanted to go back.

No doubt the racers get into it, but few go there to watch it. Unlike the local MX, Flat Track, Speedway and Stock Car events. Drag races around here are like track days or little league baseball. Few dozen participants and zero spectators that aren't friends/family of the participants.

it's at the start because a car or bike is less likely to fly off into the grandstand at the start. down the track at 170+ it's a bit more possible.

I agree on T.V. can be quite boring some times. I wish they would show more of the Pro-Mod. Very fast and can either be blow, nitrous, or turbo. I wish they would let the motorcycles run turbo or nos would be much better. Both strips in my area are good to motorcycle guys.

Back