Any reason not to....??

StwBusa

Banned
Any reason not to replace locking fuel filler cap with one that does not lock???
I find the locking cap a pain... I know someone could steal my fuel but that's hardly likely ..... So any downside I am missing??

Stealing fuel is not why i like the lock. I dont want anyone putting anything down there that doesnt belong. Of course i tend to piss off a lot of people...:laugh:

Seriously, someone just being spiteful can ruin a motor real quick.

Stealing fuel is not why i like the lock. I dont want anyone putting anything down there that doesnt belong. Of course i tend to piss off a lot of people...:laugh:

My thoughts exactly.

My fear was that I would come back to the bike and the cap would be removed...leaving me sol untill I got another one. It all depends on where you plan on leaving the bike unattended.

I ran a non-locking cap on my track body. I had my track body on the bike all season last year. I found it more of a pain than the locking one.

Yeah you never know :laugh:

I keed I keed.

But he's right Stw.
A lot of mean spirited folks out there who just for no reason would ruin your day.

I have had an internal battle with this "mod" I want it soo bad but in the end I still stick with the lock just a little piece of mind. I will probably just modify the stocker with paint to make it more custom.

Im thinking you guys might be just a little paranoid, Odds are pretty slim someone is going to steal a gas cap, and as for someone putting something in your tank. :whistle: Quit making enemies.

I changed mine out twice, Its amazing what a little item can do to change the look of the bike, I did it for the looks.

I say go for it.

A track only bike is what these caps are designed for. Many race bikes don't have an ignition key. The twist on caps do offer quick and easy access.

The down side: I was having lunch one day at a swanky little place that is very popular for the lunch crowd. I parked my GSXR up against the building where I could keep an eye on it from inside. During lunch a woman shows up with a mini van fill with kids. One kid about 5-7 years old bailed out, made a b-line to my bike and climbed aboard. I'm watching thinking he really can't hurt anything other than himself until he noticed the gas cap and promptly removed it. His mother yelled at him about this time to get his a$$ off the bike. The kid throws the gas cap out across the parking lot and slithers off the bike. The mom never made any attempt to go chase the gas cap down.

My recommendation would be to keep your locking cap in place. It just may save you a great deal of heartache someplace down the road.

A track only bike is what these caps are designed for. Many race bikes don't have an ignition key. The twist on caps do offer quick and easy access.

The down side: I was having lunch one day at a swanky little place that is very popular for the lunch crowd. I parked my GSXR up against the building where I could keep an eye on it from inside. During lunch a woman shows up with a mini van fill with kids. One kid about 5-7 years old bailed out, made a b-line to my bike and climbed aboard. I'm watching thinking he really can't hurt anything other than himself until he noticed the gas cap and promptly removed it. His mother yelled at him about this time to get his a$$ off the bike. The kid throws the gas cap out across the parking lot and slithers off the bike. The mom never made any attempt to go chase the gas cap down.

My recommendation would be to keep your locking cap in place. It just may save you a great deal of heartache someplace down the road.

Someone would have gotten screamed at if that had happened to me!

+1 exactly

at that point the gas cap is the last thing on my mind!

Had one on my gen 1 for a couple of years. No issues and no one messed with it.

I put one on my Cafe Sportster. when ya pull up to the gas pump ya have to find a place to put the cap while you fill up. I am keeping the flip up locking cap on my busa!
SNC10406.jpg

I put one on my Cafe Sportster. when ya pull up to the gas pump ya have to find a place to put the cap while you fill up. I am keeping the flip up locking cap on my busa!
SNC10406.jpg

Very good point, I;d end up holding it the whole time, got gas on it so ya cant put it on the bike and ya dont wanna pick up dirt for from the top of the pump...

people do steal just to steal and will ruin your day just because. I had my license plate stole before and saw where someone tried to stab my tire. weird how people act sometimes. it seems to me some people are jealous of things other people have and try to destroy or reek havoc to make themselves feel better i guess... :poke:

That's exactly my thoughts as well. How easy would it be for some kid to think it's funny to pick up a hand full of gravel and drop it down the filler? I use the stock filler and it works just fine and I have peace of mind.

Back