Advice on Tire!?!

brpo

Registered
Do you think I need a new front tire? Where does all that tread go so quickly?

101_0003.jpg

Front tire Bk.jpg

Look into the new Pilot Road 3, or Pilot Road 2. I bought a set of these a couple years ago and could not be happier with them.

Picture of the new PR3.

michelin.jpg

on my cbr1000f I unknowingly ran low pressure back in the day, and the front tire looked like henry waxman in 1500 miles. good all around fing bike. :eyes:

I really don't know much about different tires brands and riding characteristics and have usually gone with manufacturer recommended tires, these are Dunlop Q2's and I replaced the rear 2000 miles of so ago. I like the Q2's and think they have performed well but I would like a longer wearing tire with like performance. They have 3 k solid good performance and I can get to 5 k or so look'in like this. I think the design of the B-King is very hard on front tires as I don't seem to get a whole lot more mileage out of the front then the back. I have a new front Q2 iin the garage - Just need to get it up on the stand and replace it...What are some longer wearing suggestions.

The 'Busa is a heavy bike, comparatively, to other sport bikes, and they eat tires..... I tried the Michelin PR2's and got about 6500 miles out of them (rear) and 8500 mile on the front. But they can be squirly in the twisties, don't give a lot of feedback before they wash out.

I am now running Pirreli Angels, front and back. I have 500 miles on them, and they handle a lot better than the PR2's...excellent feedback.

My buddy with a Kawi Concourse (650 lbs) got 5500 on the rear and 7500 on this front on a set.

There is a new Metzler tire coming out soon, you may want to cehck it out.

Hope this helps.

I really don't know much about different tires brands and riding characteristics and have usually gone with manufacturer recommended tires, these are Dunlop Q2's and I replaced the rear 2000 miles of so ago. I like the Q2's and think they have performed well but I would like a longer wearing tire with like performance. They have 3 k solid good performance and I can get to 5 k or so look'in like this. I think the design of the B-King is very hard on front tires as I don't seem to get a whole lot more mileage out of the front then the back. I have a new front Q2 iin the garage - Just need to get it up on the stand and replace it...What are some longer wearing suggestions.

I get about 5000 miles out of a front Q2 and about 2200 miles out of a back, And ever time I ride I usually ride as hard as possible, So if you are only getting 3000 miles out of front that seems like something is wrong, Maybe need to check pressure more often. But it looks like the tire is wearing pretty even from the pics. I really dont think it is because of it being a B-King because I had a B-King and put 8,500 miles on it and the tires was wearing about the same as they do on my busa, Usually 2 fronts to 1 rear.

Couple things - I may have given the wrong impression - up to 3 K the tire evenly treaded and symetrical but they reach this point and go down hill quickly. Also the picture doesn't show it but the left part of the tire is significantly more worn than the right hand side. I know this is from the bias of the roads. One thing that crossed my mind is that I ride about 66 miles round trip on interstate 66 miles commuting (flat basically straight) and ride recreationally fairly aggressively in the mountains to the west. Do ya think wearing the tires in two distinctly different ways may compromise the total wear life of the tire. If I only commuted I would definately go with a more wear resistant tire however dealing with the twisties I think the Q2's are a good compromise between super sticky tires and a good all around tire. Also, I have not got religion with respect to checking tire pressure and it could be a contributing factor. I think max pressure is 42 lbs and when I check - if It's around 36 or 37 lbs that seems to feel right to me. What pressure do you run your tires at front and back? Maybe I should be at 38 to 40 - Maybe I'm too low?!? I weigh 150 to 160 depending. For the record I did a quick check and calcuation and I believe this tire has 5900 miles give or take.

Couple things - I may have given the wrong impression - up to 3 K the tire evenly treaded and symetrical but they reach this point and go down hill quickly. Also the picture doesn't show it but the left part of the tire is significantly more worn than the right hand side. I know this is from the bias of the roads. One thing that crossed my mind is that I ride about 66 miles round trip on interstate 66 miles commuting (flat basically straight) and ride recreationally fairly aggressively in the mountains to the west. Do ya think wearing the tires in two distinctly different ways may compromise the total wear life of the tire. If I only commuted I would definately go with a more wear resistant tire however dealing with the twisties I think the Q2's are a good compromise between super sticky tires and a good all around tire. Also, I have not got religion with respect to checking tire pressure and it could be a contributing factor. I think max pressure is 42 lbs and when I check - if It's around 36 or 37 lbs that seems to feel right to me. What pressure do you run your tires at front and back? Maybe I should be at 38 to 40 - Maybe I'm too low?!? I weigh 150 to 160 depending. For the record I did a quick check and calcuation and I believe this tire has 5900 miles give or take.

Well if you got 5900 miles out of a Q2 then I think you are doing pretty good, Because I never had a front last that long. They are not a real high mileage tire but they hook good, I usually run 40 in front and about 42 in back on mine.

??? wow :poke: nice race slicks:thumbsup:

i try and keep a little more tread on my tire than that. click around and find a more tour type tire, it might last ya a little longer.

Well if you got 5900 miles out of a Q2 then I think you are doing pretty good, Because I never had a front last that long. They are not a real high mileage tire but they hook good, I usually run 40 in front and about 42 in back on mine.

Thanks - I think that the tire really should have been changed out 1200 to 1500 miles ago and I would have still been beyond the tread warning bar so maybe in a real sense I'm getting around 4500 (safe - in spec) miles. For me 42 rear seems a really hard ride - But after talkin to some folks I think I'm probably running pressure low. I think I'm going to run the front a little higher pressure and see if the tire holds a better profile longer next year...

Back