Rubber Snakes on the road

MEBusa

Registered
Just read a thread over in the Touring section, about twisties, and rubber snakes, on the road was mentioned. That's the tar stuff the highway dept. sprays on the road, for whatever reason, they do it.

Anyway; has anyone ever experienced riding issues, when the road is covered with this stuff, for a long stretch (esp. hitting the curves)?

Thanks.

slippery in the curves. If they are wide enough your back end will kick out a little

Just read a thread over in the Touring section, about twisties, and rubber snakes, on the road was mentioned. That's the tar stuff the highway dept. sprays on the road, for whatever reason, they do it.

Anyway; has anyone ever experienced riding issues, when the road is covered with this stuff, for a long stretch (esp. hitting the curves)?

Thanks.

Yeah when I lived in Georgia once went on a road that had masses of these.. Hated every second of it.. I was convinced my tyres were way down on pressure or something cos' it just felt so weird and I lost confidence...

Proper term is "Tar Snakes"!

This is tar that is place along cracks in the asphalt to keep the water out. Water will seep through the cracks and during freezing weather it's especially damaging to the roadway. This tar is more treacherous on hot days.

It's a bit un-nerving especially on hot days when your tires loose grip on this stuff. However, I have never witnessed anyone crashing due to tar snakes. I've had the bike move around while leaned over due to this stuff but as soon as the tire is off the snake (which is usually only 2 - 4 inches wide) it maintains grip. Nothing to get excited about unless you are really laid over to the point your tire has a hard time regaining traction.

Just a little something to keep you awake! :beerchug:

The can also be a handful in the real cold with cold tires. Had the rear break loose last week end leaving a stop an taking a shallow turn onto the main road , lots of snakes and maybe a tad too much throttle.

The damage isn't from the tar snake, it's from what it does to your concentration....every time I hit one it raises my pucker factor about 10 points and causes me to have a Survivial Reaction.....

^ agreed! it's more of a distraction and i will suddenly change my line to avoid them at all costs. tar snakes in the hot summer are greasy and winter makes them slick.

Watch this video. It's a bit old, but instead of watching the ride, watch the road. This is 9/10th riding (at least for me) & have to be super-focused to not hit the tar snakes in corners at full-lean, or ride across them diagonally at speed.

Those god dam tar snakes are slippery as a ***** when they get real soft on a hot sunny summer day. I took a good slide when I hit one at a steep lean in a sharp curve. The tires pickup the tar and throw it on the bike when you hit them square. I hate the dam things. With the economy being in the crapper for the past few years, the road crews have not been out applying new tar snakes because they don't have any money.

Thanks.

when I first bought my busa I was turning onto an on-ramp that had one of these strips right in the middle of the road. I was in a deep lean and my front tire rode over the strip and I almost dumped it. It startled me, I am more causious now. those strips suc

Crossing them isn't nearly as bad as riding parallel ON them...

I hate snakes (tar and real) don't really care for the ones ya stick down drains and such either!:whistle:

Oh man, those things are scary. First time I rode on those, I thought I'm gonna low side. Next time onwards I tried to stay away from them or as Pashnit said, tried to cross them as diagonally as possible.

chip and seal is what they call it and it actually can make a good surface after it has a chance to age, but when it is fresh it can make you ******* pucker worse than tar snakes. Speaking of tar snakes just wait until it rains they then become greased owl s**t worse road in Arkansas is hwy 14 when this happens just slow down.......:poke:

Back