Helmet

Elvorin

Registered
Question to you all winter riders. How do you prevent your helmet shield from fogging up?

I'm trying to ride my bike as much as I can here in WA in negative temperature. But every single time I take it out, after few minutes it gets real difficult to see through the shield as it fogs up so much. Keeping it open to get rid of the fog with cold air is also very difficult as the air feels like thousand needles poking my face. Please suggest.

Oh, on a side note, what is a decently priced heated gloves and jacket? Right now I cant spent a lot of money on it, so something not too pricey, but also not too cheap is what I'm looking for.

My 2 cents: do not skimp and do this right the first time. Most reputable brands hover around the $130-$170 range. I am looking at the Tourmaster Synergy $153 with controller already included (must be purchased separately with other brands).

Check out GERBING outlet in case they have your size: Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing!

Some makers sell FOG-FREE shields, not sure if you have already tried this. Many choices for sprays/coatings but seems like none of them work: Motorcycle Helmet Visor Anti-Fog Comparison Review - webBikeWorld

Thanks a lot for your response. I'm gonna check out the links right now. by the way, for heated clothing, I need to make some mod for my bike to have a power outlet..right? As I'm noob and kinda apprehensive about trying to do any mod myself, I'm planning to get it done by a Suzuki showroom near by. Any idea what generally they charge? Just wanna make sure I'm not getting ripped.

The only preventative to fogging that I have had any success with is to cover your mouth and nose so that your breath does not hit the cold visor. I use a thin fleece head cover with a long slit for an eye opening. It is the least vision impairing.

Thanks a lot for your response. I'm gonna check out the links right now. by the way, for heated clothing, I need to make some mod for my bike to have a power outlet..right? As I'm noob and kinda apprehensive about trying to do any mod myself, I'm planning to get it done by a Suzuki showroom near by. Any idea what generally they charge? Just wanna make sure I'm not getting ripped.

Don't pay anyone!!! It's simple, really. PM Pashnit, a site sponsor, he can hook you up with exactly what you want and need at the best price. There's also several posts here on installing power supply's for heated gear, and Pashnit can direct you on that as well.
As for your fogging, Rain-X makes anti-fog for winsheilds, it helps on helmet sheilds also. Depending on which helmet you have, sometimes a nose peice is optional, they can help direct some of your breath away from the sheild and reduce the fogging some. A good balaclava(Ninja hood:laugh:) can also allow you to keep your head warm enough to open some of the helmet vents, which will help your fogging as well.
If you can, try some other helmets too. Everyones head and face is different, so certain helmets can fog more or less for different people.:beerchug:

By the way, for heated clothing, I need to make some mod for my bike to have a power outlet..right? As I'm noob and kinda apprehensive about trying to do any mod myself, I'm planning to get it done by a Suzuki showroom near by. Any idea what generally they charge? Just wanna make sure I'm not getting ripped.

NO MOD NEEDED and you can DIY for free! If you already have a battery tender, buy this (a spankin $10) and connect to you tender harness.
Good idea to contact TIM of Pashnit.

18345_1.jpg

Then connect your heated gear harness (pic below) to adapter above
18173_2.jpg

Last edited:
I just got the Tourmaster Synergy gloves, jacket liner and pants liner for Christmas. Yes, you have to unbolt the battery and attach a power adapter to plug into.

I rode last week one night about 40 miles with the temps in the 30's, The only thing that got cold was my toes and my crotch. The gloves kept my fingers TOASTY all the way up to triple digit speeds (had to test them out :thumbsup:)

As for the fogging visors... I have an anti-fog visor but after riding today it fogs up.... :dunno: I wouldnt venture to say they wont work...

NO MOD NEEDED and you can DIY for free! If you already have a battery tender, buy this (a spankin $10) and connect to you tender harness.
18345_1.jpg

Then connect your heated gear harness (pic below) to adapter above
18173_2.jpg

I just ordered the SAE/Coax adapter so I could plug my gear into my Gixxer1K without adding another power adapter (via Pashnit).

Thanks for the advice. I read the anti-fog review and there the author mentioned that he contacted Rain-X and they said Rain-X SHOULDNT be applied on the visor as it may damage it permanently. So I think I'll go for a balaclava :) or ski mask. I once tried to wear a turtleneck (dont laugh) and put it over my nose, but that cloth didnt help much to stay on my nose and prevent the fogging.

About the battery tender, no, I dont think I have it as my bike is bone stock. Bought it just few months ago.

About the battery tender, no, I dont think I have it as my bike is bone stock. Bought it just few months ago.

Not a bad idea to get one, helps extend battery life. I snagged one on sale for under $40 (you need the 12V model)

Last edited by a moderator:
well, as we are talking about adding a power outlet from the battery, what would be the ideal equipment to install which will allow me to connect multiple devices at once? Like GPS, Radar detector, camera and heated gears? Coz in bit long term, those are all that I'm looking forward to hook up on my motorcycle.

visor fogging up? ever try "cat crap"? they make "scope dope" too. i use it on my shades when i go snowboarding, my rifle scope, scuba mask/swimming goggles, and my visor on me helmet. works pretty good.

catcrap.jpeg

well, as we are talking about adding a power outlet from the battery, what would be the ideal equipment to install which will allow me to connect multiple devices at once? Like GPS, Radar detector, camera and heated gears? Coz in bit long term, those are all that I'm looking forward to hook up on my motorcycle.

was only a matter of time before this question came up :)
FUZEBLOCKS.COM

001_tn.jpg

Many helmets these days have a little flip that you can hit that allows just a little air to flow over the visor but not into the helmet. This keeps the visor clear of fog.. My Rf1000 has this..

yeah, I had one of those things.... till I threw my helmet in anger after my first crash. The showroom service guy replaced with a different one for free, which doesn't have that setting no more. But even then, in this cold I think that'll be a little painful...dont u think :)

was only a matter of time before this question came up :)
FUZEBLOCKS.COM

001_tn.jpg

Yeah, that's what I've been looking for... I think :)

okay, I guess for now I'll go ahead and send a PM to pashnit for equipment like that and heated gear.

Next step would be get a detailed description on how to do it by myself. I'm really apprehensive about even taking the side plastics off. I feel I'm gonna break the tabs trying to take it off. I guess I'll PM Cookie (who leaves near by my place) to gimme some moral support. :)

have you looked into a helmet with a HEATED shield? Some you can buy with it GMAX), others you can buy a retrofit kit (pic below for a BELL)

08BellApexSnowHShieldMD.gif

Yeah, that's what I've been looking for... I think :)

okay, I guess for now I'll go ahead and send a PM to pashnit for equipment like that and heated gear.

Next step would be get a detailed description on how to do it by myself. I'm really apprehensive about even taking the side plastics off. I feel I'm gonna break the tabs trying to take it off. I guess I'll PM Cookie (who leaves near by my place) to gimme some moral support. :)

Blanca Busa did a good tutorial video on fairing removal, search for it or someone can post a link for you. They're easy to get off after you do it once.
I think it's Lurch who has a new business selling a multi plug connector for GPS, and anything else you can mount on the handlebars too. Pretty cool device for I think around $40.

Back