Power commander or not

Bruce Bell

Registered
My 2006 is stock, and happy with it's power. The question I have is what exactly would a power commander do to my bike? Other then the power commander added, I'm keeping it stock. Is there that much difference? Is it worth it?

Btw...I have both power commander and TRE on my bike but I don't think it's necessary. I write my own fuel maps for my bike...that's why I like having both....

TRE is unnecessary; its supposed to work as a restrictor eliminator. If your bike is stock, a TRE and power commander are almost unnecessary, you could spend the 300 USD for a PC and tune (another 250 USD) and see for yourself if it actually makes a difference. As far as the TRE is concerned, dont waste your money.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, you could always get some wave rotors, or some pieces that will give your bike an edge or personalized look...

Last edited:
If you do go the root of a power commander wait a few weeks...the new Power Commander V is coming out for both Gen I and Gen II.

Last edited:
Power Commanders will alter the power curve (many modern sportsbikes are already tuned many of them will not get a huge improvement even with the traditional full exhaust system), but they will have a dip in the rev range at around 5,000 rpm – to get past emissions regulations – a PC can help smooth out that dip.

If you have not noticed the dip or it doesn’t bother you then they are not worth it.
If you keep your bike stock you do not need one....

he said he was happy with the power of his bike, let him get used to it for a few more months and then we shall see what song he is singing...

as i said before, if you are happy now and continue to be happy with the output of your machine, think about possibly getting some stuff that really makes your bike stick out in your eyes, something that will personalize it, making you say... "ya, that baby is mine"... or don't...

Either way, PC is a waste of money if your machine is stock.

You know there are guys out there have twin turbo that say it's not quite enough. Where does it end as far as The stock hayabusa will do 150 on a bad day, that alone will get you a nice pair of shinny handcuffs, free curiosity of your local "po-po". Don't get me wrong I love the power, that why I got the busa. But I think the allot of the aftermarket gadgets, are just that gadgets. That's why I started this trend.So far I'm gathering from you guys it might be just throwing money away.

Here is my view: If you are going to spend money on things like a PC, TRE, full exhaust, dino tunes etc on a Gen I, you'd be way farther ahead to take that money you'll spend on making another 5-10 HP and upgrade to a Gen II. Won't cost any more money and you'll gain twice as much HP and add some other sweet updates as well.

The Gen II has more HP than most of us can safely handle right off the shelf. I have a Gen II bone stock with an M4 full exhaust attached to a 45T sprocket putting out 180+ HP. On corner exits she either lifts the front or spins the rear. For me, any additional HP is a waste and makes it harder to manage the throttle.

My experience is that street guys are much slower on high HP bikes than guys on stock bikes. It's not about how much HP your bike puts out (Bragging rights) it's about how much HP the guy in the seat can use! :beerchug:

Well said tufbusa....I have both a Gen I and a Gen II and I love them both for different reasons. I have left the Gen II pretty much stock apart from a few appearance mods...the Gen I on the other hand has every performance mod short of a turbo(which I think is just silly...lol but fun to watch). I love working on bikes and have made it my hobby. I love to try and squeeze every last ounce of hp out of that 1299 cc's...well 1340 cc now. While it's true I can't really use and more hp on the street, I dare anyone to come up to the land of snow and have a go at my Gen I on the texas mile!

And you use all 180HP when you hope on your gen II? If not how many times have you use that power? From one street lite to another? Please don't be offended, I love the power. But like boobs, how big before too big?:whistle:

And you use all 180HP when you hope on your gen II? If not how many times have you use that power? From one street lite to another? Please don't be offended, I love the power. But like boobs, how big before too big?:whistle:

Hahahahaha! I generally don't use all the power of the Gen II. For the street I don't think anyone could ask or want any more power... I was happy with my Gen I for power on the street. But the track on the other hand......anyways, there are not very many "legal" ways to use all your Hayabusa has to offer... I would comment on my girl friends boob size but she drives a 'busa too and will probably see this post so i'll just shut up while i'm ahead!

Back