What does it take to be track legal?

KvHotDog4

Registered
I have all the gear on the way, but does anyone have a list or just know the things that have to be done to a bike for it to be legal on the track? I know about the mirrors being removed and the headlights being covered and I have heard something about antifreeze??? Anyways does anyone know for sure what has to be done and what kind of liquids are used?

I am excited and nervous all at the same time and I have not even set anything up except ordering my suit, I just want to make sure I don't have any surprises since I have never even been to a track I have no clue what to expect.
Thanks for all the great info,
Kevin

The requirements depend on the organization running the track day and which class you'll be riding in. What did you have in mind?

You need to check with the track website. They will have all the necessary requirements for you to do on the bike.
When you get there then they have a tec inspection to make sure you actually did all that stuff.

Check in with Skydivr, he is in your neck of the woods and can help you get started. I think he would even be happy to let you tag along with him on your first time track day.

Check in with Skydivr, he is in your neck of the woods and can help you get started. I think he would even be happy to let you tag along with him on your first time track day.

Skydivr is a dealer for track day junkies....got me started last year and going back for more this year.

For STT running Novice:
1 or 2 piece leathers
Gauntlet gloves / boots
Good Tires - Q2s / BT003RS / BT16s
Pull Low / High Beam Fuse
Remove Mirrors
Remove License Plate
Tape Headlight / Tail Light
Tape Turn Signals
Tape over wheel weights
Zip tie passenger pegs

Stock coolant is fine for novice, you'll need Engine Ice or equivalent for I group and above.

Last edited:
Skydivr is a dealer for track day junkies....got me started last year and going back for more this year.

For STT running Novice:
1 or 2 piece leathers
Gauntlet gloves / boots
Good Tires - Q2s / BT003RS / BT16s
Pull Low / High Beam Fuse
Remove Mirrors
Remove License Plate
Tape Headlight / Tail Light
Tape Turn Signals
Tape over wheel weights
Zip tie passenger pegs

Stock coolant is fine for novice, you'll need Engine Ice or equivalent for I group and above.

Don't blame me, SteveO (Tuf) did it to me!!!!

Kevin, depends on the trackday provider. All I've ever ridden with is STT, their requirements are listed on their website but I could tech your bike in about 10 minutes. Sign up lets do a couple dates!

Last edited:
Don't blame me, SteveO (Tuf) did it to me!!!!

Kevin, depends on the trackday provider. All I've ever ridden with is STT, their requirements are listed on their website but I could tech your bike in about 10 minutes. Sign up lets do a couple dates!

Will do and thanks, I'll wait till I get all the gear in before I try to sign up for anything. They said they should still have some my size but just incase they would let me pay for it yet, which was A-OK with me cuz the vet bill is gonna rape me :moon:

anybody do track around rockingham,nc? would like someone to show me the ropes...

Kevin, glad to see you are jumping on that suit deal (at least I hope that's what you mean). To ride in Novice, you don't need much else except a good set of tires on your bike. We can pretty much prep the rest at the track.

Recommend you sign up for the Nashville April dates and look hard at a Barber Date!

Kevin, glad to see you are jumping on that suit deal (at least I hope that's what you mean). To ride in Novice, you don't need much else except a good set of tires on your bike. We can pretty much prep the rest at the track.

Recommend you sign up for the Nashville April dates and look hard at a Barber Date!

where do I go to find the dates and info? Where are the races even at?

where do I go to find the dates and info? Where are the races even at?

Sportbike Track Time (linky:Home) is the provider we've been using down here; there are others. Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham is the jewel in the crown at the moment; Nashville is a good local trackday (these are not RACES; this is SCHOOLING on a racetrack) for you to attend as it's local.

Go to STT and register, after you register you can then pick out some dates (yes you have to prepay for them). I'll definitely be doing Nashville in April.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was STT that did the track days I did up at Road America on my Gixxer 1000s. VERY well organized. Most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels!

Back