Fuel Management

bigworm

Registered
please excuse my ignorance and i'm well aware of the search function(i remind newbies daily of it on other forums) but i can't seem to find a particular brand and type of fuel management. i had a Dobecks performance TFI(pulse width modifier) on the vrod. it worked great for me,and they have a newer unit called the EJK "Electronic Jet Kit gen3 and gen3.5 that utilizes the O2 sensors on bikes equipped with O2 sensors " only mods were the hi-flow air filter and an exhaust change to the Cary Faas Racing pipe(short megaphone style)2 - 1. i had 110 to the ground and was on several dyno's with an 13.1 AFR. it was a tad on the fat side but it run well and i don't care about fuel mileage, because the bike was at the drag strip more than on the street.
does anyone use Dobecks performance fuel management, i've seen in plenty of threads the power commander is popular as it was on harley's also.

what year was fuel injection first used on hayabusa's or gsxr's ?

when was the O2 sensors first used on the bikes?

are the O2 sensors wide band or narrow band?

thanks for any help:thumbsup:

Busas have always been fuel injected. Aside from the PC, I have seen guys use Bazazz and ECU editor. I have no info on the O2 sensors.

whats the difference from gen1 and gen2 and is todays busa's the gen3? seems i remember reading there being a limit on HP or top speed is there a year model faster than the other?

good stuff right there! thanks kromdom :bowdown: i've seen 10 year old busa's around here in the bike trader for 5000$ already stretched and lowered. i've already got any safety gear i need to race, just might have to get a shinko for the rear and have a low 10 second bike stock.

Robbie, you will have more than a low 10second bike!! Mine ran low 9's and you KNOW how slow my bike is!!

thanks for the vote of confidence brian, but i'll have to adjust to the extra power of the busa. what year is your bike?

the stock 02 sensors on the gen II are narrowband...

The piggy back replacement units of course all install wideband sensors (bosch exclusivly from what ive seen personally)...

thanks for the vote of confidence brian, but i'll have to adjust to the extra power of the busa. what year is your bike?

Mine is a 2003. It has been piped, has a power commander, air shifter, shift light, stretched, geared, and then has the dry shot of NOS. It really should be a whole lot faster. I guess I just don't know how to ride!!

Mine is a 2003. It has been piped, has a power commander, air shifter, shift light, stretched, geared, and then has the dry shot of NOS. It really should be a whole lot faster. I guess I just don't know how to ride!!

you know how to ride! you might want to visit jenny craig if anything.............. or i'll ride it for you:whistle:

ecu editor. way better than a PCV. oh, and 13:1 at WOT is a tad lean.

1997 or 98 was the first year for fuel injection on the Gsxr750 for Suzuki. Gen 2 busa's are the first busas with O2 sensors and they are narrow band. I am running a closed loop speed density setup from Motty. It is called the Motty AFR tuner. You setup this system by putting the AFR you want in different TPS block tables. Then Motty AFR tuner will adjust to what you wrote. I have them on both my bikes. It uses a wide band O2 sensor. I had gotten this before the BoostbySmith ECU editor, which I have. I havent used it like the Motty AFR tuner.... I just used it for derestricting my bike and changed a few thing.

Rule of thumb.... 12.8:1 best hp.
13.2:1 best torque.
14.7:1 is the best compromise of best Economy/emission/power
(Used only for light loads like cruising)
11.0:1 to 11.5:1 for boosted applications to be safe

Leaner is meaner, but it melts parts due more heat then richer settings. Richer is safer, but too much is just as bad as too lean!

Last edited:
thanks warbird, i'll research some of that, the 12.8:1 i would think is a little fat but i've been playing with harleys so i've got some to learn with these bikes.

just to ditto what everyone is saying about ecu editor guy in champaign near me said he only uses ecu editor he said when you use the ie. power commander or of the like you get a delay so to speak but not with ecu editor ..basicly no throttle jump and he said gets better performance .. he races alot so according to me thats good enough for me .thats what i want done to mine stupid PC lags in 1st and 2nd at low speeds .

12.8:1 isnt rich like you think.... it is for best HP! 11.0 to 11.9:1 on a carb or EFI bike that is naturally aspirated is rich.... like rolling out back smoke and a charcoal colored plug! I use a LM-1 wide band O2 sensor exhaust probe setup for tuning carbs.... and have done a bit of tuning lately and been doing well with plug color and getting my jetting right for the idle mixture/ slow jet/ needle jet and main jets. When you start getting into the high to lower 11.9-11.0:1 range is when you see the plugs getting sooty charcoal black. In the mid to higher 12.0:1's a dark tanning... working a little grey depending on the bike. Do a google search for more info on AFR's!

The LM-1 Wide band I use with a few O2 sensor pipes I make for use on bikes or trikes with out O2 sensor bungs. I have also used the dolbeck tuning box on my order GSXR1000 with this same LM-1 Wide band. It did well on this bike, however on other bikes not so well. Too much fuel in certain rpm ranges. The ECU editor gives you better control as well as the others. because you can take away or add fuel as needed. Also on Air cooled engine's like your harley's... you run them slightly richer to help cool them, where a water cooled bike you can run closer to optimum due to a more stable engine temperature. Hope this helps!

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:
oh i've been googling afr and all sorts of things related to O2 sensors and afr gauges for a project i'm working on.i appreciate the info from you, very much appreciated

Back