Oil temperature gauge

alexx

Registered
what say you?
cool or daft?
ImageShack Links Do Not Work
No mods needed, just replace OEM plug...

is this to replace the filler or drain plug? (more questions to follow upon answer)

you are talking about using this for a Hayabusa and not a Harley? :poke:

current analysis = Daft and then some...

Last edited:
is this to replace the filler or drain plug? (more questions to follow upon answer)

you are talking about using this for a Hayabusa and not a Harley? :poke:

current analysis = Daft and then some...

I knew it ! Daft !
And it is for the filler plug.
This image isn't of the actual one, the probe is completely different and the faceplate has a blue area (engine cold), green (norm) and red (overheating)
I might turn red too, with embarrassment...

Last edited:
I'd buy one right now if you have it. I see the oil temp numbers are not high enough though. Should go to 200 + F?

A "HarleyBusa Oil Temp Hou-Ha" :rofl:

All joking aside , If you like it, USE IT. I mean, what can it hurt to have MORE information about your Busa's Engine and Trans Temp Conditions :beerchug:

unscrew the filler plug on your Hayabusa and you'll notice right away the first issue with trying to get a temp prob down to the oil... (think spinning clutch basket)

I have an oil temp sensor on my bike. It's mounted in the main oil galley on the end of the case. I wouldn't worry much about the oil temp for any everyday rider. You would probably over heat the coolant before the oil was above it's temp threshold.

I'd buy one right now if you have it. I see the oil temp numbers are not high enough though. Should go to 200 + F?
It reads in ºC so 140ºC=284 F
You'll get something like this

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

The probe on the Hayabusa model is very short and it is very easy to swap the filler oil plug for this one. It is a 1 minute job. You can twist it after install to the correct position.
And... it works. A friend brought it for me from Holland, he got one as well.
I saw it on his bike and I'm just not sure I like it, hence this thread.
Looks geeky, I don't know...
Anyway, it is German made, very well made to be honest, and costs €27.

it wont work on a Hayabusa. Any kind of a probe on the end of that gauge would come in direct contact with the clutch basket. There's also no direct shot from the inlet down to the oil sump. That means a probe will never touch the oil. The only reading you would get from this temp gauge without a probe would be the ambient temp within the clutch housing which tells you nothing.

it wont work on a Hayabusa. Any kind of a probe on the end of that gauge would come in direct contact with the clutch basket. There's also no direct shot from the inlet down to the oil sump. That means a probe will never touch the oil. The only reading you would get from this temp gauge without a probe would be the ambient temp within the clutch housing which tells you nothing.

you're probably right, I guess that this is more of a gimmick really than something useful.
I'll bin it.

This will absolutely not work. I have a oil temp and pressure gauge on my bike currently and it's more for looks and to balance out the a/f and boost gauges. If you want to waste some money then put one on your bike

I think it looks kinda neat but....if it doesn't make contact with the oil then....??? One more thing to worry about being wrong?

Back