Ceramic pads requiring special rotors?

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
May be a stupid question but I am about to throw ceramic pads on my stock rotors and a riding friend of mine tells me that i need a different rotor? I think hes just misinformed but I am just confirming that with you guys...

Your friend is probably right, cause I ruin a set of rotors on my car. The tec. said the the pads are almost, if not harder then the rotors. The weakest of the two is worn first. That's only my experience. This and .65 will buy you a cup of coffee. :whistle:

Most of us who ride on the street use HH pads. Easy on the rotors and a big improvement over the stock pads. I only run HH on the front, and stock pads on the rear.

..... That's only my experience. This and .65 will buy you a cup of coffee. :whistle:

Where do you get that coffee? :poke:

Most of us who ride on the street use HH pads. Easy on the rotors and a big improvement over the stock pads. I only run HH on the front, and stock pads on the rear.

Where do you get HH pads?(I'm just clueless on what HH pads are)
How much do they usually hit for? (roughly)
Can you use all the other stock equipment? (i.e. rotors, calipers, etc)

I'm about to start taking mine apart for our very short winter and doing all my upgrades before daytona.

HH pads are just harder than the pads that come on the busa. EBC is the manufacturer, and they can be purchased from almost any of the sponsors for hayabusa.org, or your local dealer. You can run stock rotors and lines no problem. The rotors on my 05 busa have over 60,000 miles on them and I have ran HH pads for most of those miles. Can't remember what I paid for them, but I think it was around $25 per side.

I hate ceramic pads---how many times have you herd this? Stock ones are fine they dont fail at all and even used real hard work fine.

I have them in stock. Log onto www.pashnitmoto.com.

Last edited:
HH is just the friction rating of the pads. It doesnt say what they are made of...

The busa comes stock with HH pads on the front and GG on the rear.
Im just wondering if ceramic are ok. They have good stopping power once warmed up

Last edited:
I've been using these sintered HH pads on the busa and the VFR800 and I can tell you they feel exactly like the EBC HHs

~$45 to your door for all 6 pads.

!B-9S0Lg!2k~$(KGrHqR,!iIEzNHnqRU)BM-MdlpfLQ~~0_12.JPG

Last edited:
Your friend is probably right, cause I ruin a set of rotors on my car. The tec. said the the pads are almost, if not harder then the rotors. The weakest of the two is worn first. That's only my experience. This and .65 will buy you a cup of coffee. :whistle:

I always laugh when people tell me that(I work at a parts store), most newer cars come with ceramic pads from the factory. I've been running ceramic pads on my cars(all are mid 80's to early 90's) for years never had any problem.

as for bike I didnt know they made ceramic pads for bikes, I always see HH or sintered pads.

I normally run OEM or equivilant. Running a harder pad or a higher heat rated pad is not a bad thing. But they do wear your rotors out quicker.

Done more google research. A couple places saying ceramic pads wear on rotors more but about double the sites saying those ideas are stupid and ceramic pads give increased rotor life over semi metallic pads. I think ill be going with ceramic pads to try them out

ceramic pads have come a long way. They'll be fine once your used to them and the feel you get from them. They'll last longer the OE pads for sure. Rotor wear is average.

You really got to play around with running different pads to figure out which work best for your ridding habits. It worse than picking tires because of all the variables.

Back