Dragged my knees!!

Chasx

Registered
I know this probably isn't that big of a deal with most riders here, but today I finally did it!
IMAG0008.jpg

I was initially trying to drag my knees on a country back road going about 70, but after doing research and realizing it could be done at slower speeds, I took my attempts to a large open parking lot and did it!

I just started doing circles slowly leaning over more and more. I know that my 6 over swingarm doesn't help, but I was able to do it anyway :laugh:

I first did it doing circles to the left and then after I got that one, stopped, cheered VERY loudly, revved my engine in excitement, and then decided that I couldn't just go one direction and proceeded to do clockwise circles until both knees had dragged.

You really have no idea how much throttle control means until you are leaned over at large angles haha :thumbsup:

I'm glad I took it down a notch in an open parking lot instead of trying it at a fast speed. I was only going about 30 mph, but I'm going to continue to practice in the lot until I am comfortable, and then take it to a track in the spring. Next time I need new tires I think I'm going to go back to my stock swingarm because dragging my knees is so exciting!

Geez I think it will take me a lifetime to figure out the knee draggin thing. I'm still working on getting my butt to hang over to one side so I can even do a twisty. LOL One day I will get it I guess I am worried that I will fall over if I lean to far. Practice, practice, practice... That is what I must continue to do. Congrats on knee draggin, drag one for me!

Yea Skoot, after they dragged I figured I had used the whole tire but when I looked at them afterwards I still had another 1/2" until the edge of the tread (using Dunlop Q2's). Next time I go out (hopefully tomorrow!) I'll drag more than just one for ya! :thumbsup:

Yea good job the ones:thumbsup:

the guys that leave me scratching my head are the ones trying to drag a knee with nothing but jeans on :laugh:

Good job !!

I remember when I dragged my knees..................and elbows................and shoulders..........my helmet...........and then the side of my bike. :laugh:

Very cool bro. Its a mystery until you do it, and then you are like, thats not so hard. :laugh:

Congrats to OP.

However, I ask just 'cause i'm curious: If you get your butt off the seat far enough, can't you drag your knees more easily?

I've never done it; never tried to; don't have knee pucks, so it never seemed like a very good idea for me. I run out of adrenalin as it is, every time I ride my 'Busa. I don't think I could stand any more excitement, LOL!! I'm an old geezer anyhow - will be 60 next year, the good Lord willing.

CW

You can't find REAL sparkies any more. I've tried every continent on earth and it seems no one makes them anymore. The set I have now I purchased through Cycle Gear but they can no longer get them either. I wish I would have bought a dozen sets when they were available.

The pucks with the titanium rods are worthless. Has to be dark in order to see the sparks. I have a set of those also. Waste of money in my view.

I'm thinking of buying some titanium plate and making my own! ???

Good job !!

I remember when I dragged my knees..................and elbows................and shoulders..........my helmet...........and then the side of my bike. :laugh:

I've done it that way too :laugh: More than once :cry:

Last edited:
I know this probably isn't that big of a deal with most riders here, but today I finally did it!

I was initially trying to drag my knees on a country back road going about 70, but after doing research and realizing it could be done at slower speeds, I took my attempts to a large open parking lot and did it!

I just started doing circles slowly leaning over more and more. I know that my 6 over swingarm doesn't help, but I was able to do it anyway :laugh:

I first did it doing circles to the left and then after I got that one, stopped, cheered VERY loudly, revved my engine in excitement, and then decided that I couldn't just go one direction and proceeded to do clockwise circles until both knees had dragged.

You really have no idea how much throttle control means until you are leaned over at large angles haha :thumbsup:

I'm glad I took it down a notch in an open parking lot instead of trying it at a fast speed. I was only going about 30 mph, but I'm going to continue to practice in the lot until I am comfortable, and then take it to a track in the spring. Next time I need new tires I think I'm going to go back to my stock swingarm because dragging my knees is so exciting!

Congratulations! Good job. Glad you took it off the street and into a controlled environment.

Fun, huh. :cheerleader: Let us know when you get the sparkies.

About how fast, do you think the guy is riding in the video, pulling the busa over, from side to side, through the curves. I was under the impression, to even get the busa over that far, you have to be going pretty fast (ie 80+ mph).

"The faster, you are, the more you can lean it over" are my thoughts. I could be wrong however.

Thanks.

I think the faster you are, the more controlled your lean will be due to the gyro effect. You can still get the same lean angle at slower speeds, but your turning radius will be smaller.

Pashnit, I've watched that video more times than I can count and still love it! I just got a GoProHD so once I get it figured out (still researching) hopefully I'll be able to make some too

Congrats, It is a great feeling ever time you do it, You will be hooked on it now, Everytime I go ride if I have my gear on I have to do it, It is like a bad addiction. Sounds like you are going about it the right way also.:thumbsup:

Back