2 Fingers??? Or 4???

StwBusa

Banned
I read a lot about guys braking uses just 2 fingers... I was always taught at my MSF and Advanced MSF that this is a no no!!!

Thoughts??? I use 4 ..always... It just feels safer...:beerchug:

I was taught that as well but I use my outside three fingers . I feel like I have better throttle control with my first finger and thumb holding on.
How do you ride?

I just got flashbacks about your helmet thread :poke:
But to answer your question, do you what you feel is right (I am mostly 4, also learned from MSF)

Last edited:
I've always been a 2 finger clutch/brake guy. The MSF coaches yelled at me a few times, until they realized there were bigger wars to fight (the noobies).

Last edited:
They are probly teaching the safe way first:rulez:, as time goes by you tend to do what is comfortable !

The MSF and advanced MSF courses are by design directed towards the novice rider. If the course is performed in a parking lot its a novice course!

Once you advance to the upper tier nobody uses four fingers on the brake and if four fingers are ever used on the clutch it's only for stopping. Lots and lots of the really fast guys only use one finger on clutch and brake.

I try to get all intermediate students at the track to use two fingers on both levers. Novice riders are allowed to use whatever method they arrive with since they have enough to deal with without adding the lever/2finger thing to the equasion.

As well as I can remember I have never witnessed a fast guy using four fingers on the brakes or clutch unless they were stopped.

The MSF and advanced MSF courses are by design directed towards the novice rider. If the course is performed in a parking lot its a novice course!

Once you advance to the upper tier nobody uses four fingers on the brake and if four fingers are ever used on the clutch it's only for stopping. Lots and lots of the really fast guys only use one finger on clutch and brake.

I try to get all intermediate students at the track to use two fingers on both levers. Novice riders are allowed to use whatever method they arrive with since they have enough to deal with without adding the lever/2finger thing to the equasion.

As well as I can remember I have never witnessed a fast guy using four fingers on the brakes or clutch unless they were stopped.

Awesome info!!!! So are you saying its perfectly fine with you that these guys do that???:beerchug:

I use two fingers, and I agree with you Tuff, but, Rossi often uses four fingers on the front brake.

:laugh:

cheers
ken

Rightt hand: pointer and thumb=throttle, ring middle and ring fingers= brakes, (pinky does whatever he wants)

Left hand: Thumb, pointer and pinkY=hold the bar/ middle and ring= clutch (heavy duty springs are kinda stiff)

I think I use the outside 3 but I really don't know, I would have to agree with the guy that said its really about what is comfortable to you. If you race then I am sure there are reason to do it a certain way but for normal riding I would say its about comfort. If your not comfortable it leaves room for error and less focus on traffic. JMO

i try for 4 fingers but if i cant get 4 in then i settle with 2.. ..:rulez:
oh braking.. my bad, depends on riding style atm

Depends on the situation for me but was taught to use 2 by father who rode up until over 80. A lot of racing for him but in traffic and controlled situations 4 would be reasonable.

I truly hope that you guys are NOT comparing yourself with Valentino Rossi :whistle:

I could whip his ass.

in a fist fight..... :whistle:

cheers
ken

Upgrade your brakes and you might just learn to use 2 fingers. Ever since I upgraded to EBC's, I had to learn not to be hungry for brakes esp. during emergencies.

Three words:

Lowest common denominator.

MSF isn't about what's best or most efficient. It's about teaching noobs how not to die.

I could be wrong but I’m guessing you are Referring to a MSF BRC (Basic Rider Course) and ERC (Experienced Rider Course) There is an Advanced Rider Course-ARC but it is not as common and less than 2 years old.

I think you will see some of this change in MSF in the future. Some instructors are adamant that four fingers have to be used. However, I have never found it in the curriculum that is it “required”. I’ve had some conversations with MSF Rider Coaches and a few Rider Coach trainers about it. MSF classes are at a level so that students with no previous experience can ride a bike. The methods taught will work on any motorcycle. I have converted a few to my thinking on the subject.

In my opinion it depends on the rider, their skill level, and the strength of their hands, the bike they are riding. As long as the students are able to achieve maximum braking power with two fingers I don’t say anything at all to them. More often the opposite is true, however. The average student who is attempting to stop with two fingers on the front brake is not stopping in minimum distances. It is also fairly rare for a person to show up on modern sport bike. 90% of the bikes I see in class are our own trainers, or student owner cruisers. While I can still apply maximum braking power on most of these using two fingers, experience starts coming into play. Most of the time when the student starts using four fingers, I start seeing smoother applications of the front brake. I also see more compression to the front forks and in a progressive behavior. Stopping distances start to drop dramatically. Again however, if I’m already seeing decent results with two fingers, I’ll work with them in that method. But I’ll never encourage them to make a transition from 4 to 2 in a BRC or ERC.

The ARC recognizes more advanced techniques and even mentions two finger braking of sport bikes in the materials related. I have not taught it but have seen some of the program, and the Military specific one. I’ve have also been certified in the Military AMC Sport Bike training program. I don’t think you’ll ever see all of the “high performance” techniques taught in any MSF course. There are just too many for the amount of time and the students they target.

If you can achieve maximum braking with two fingers, go for it!

Back