good will message/reminder!

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Since I have 2997 posts, (I want to break 3000) I thought I'd post a few reminders.

First, if your bike doesn't get riden much or at all during the winter.....buy and use a Battery Tender! Over the last 10 years, because of my lameness, I've had to replace my battery at least 3 times because I let it die and stay dead for weeks at a time....the remedy is so simple.

Second, move your bike a little so it doesn't stay on the same part of the tires (best is to suspend it on stands). Also keep pressure up in tires.

Third, stablize your existing fuel with chemical....INCLUDING that fuel that is PAST the tank, in the lines and fuel injectors (just means that the bike must be run AFTER stabilizer is added). It should be noted, however, that I have forgotten to do this a few times, 4-5 months of engine not being run in sub freezing temps.....and had no problems in the Spring. Still, it's not smart to do that.

Forth, if you cover the bike, it's important to clean and wax the surfaces that the cover will rest on....dust can be abrasive to smooth surfaces.

Fifth, I believe you should start the bike and bring it up to operating temp at least once in the middle of Winter.

Finally, It's smart to do an oil change BEFORE you put the girl to bed for prolonged periods.

Hope that helps, I believe all the above is an investment in the longivity of our motorcycles.

Doyle

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Mine sits out side all the time. I have the real good Suzuki cover for it. I do have the bat tender but I do leave it sitting on the front tire. If I put it on the front stand I can't lock it. I have it locked to a table but I know if someone really wants it they will get it. I do need to move it to change the tire location. Thanks again

Hey! Whay about just ridin' the thing every weekend? :poke:

But, if you don't I just saw that Cycle Gear has the Yuasa Battery Tenders back down to $19.99 again.

I agree with everything EXCEPT starting it up and letting it run during the storage period. The enemy of storage is condensation. You are creating condensation by letting the bike warm up, then shutting it off and letting the bike get cold again and letting it sit. Other than that, good write-up. :beerchug:

Great reminders and would do so but... I am able to ride at least several times a month in the winter, cold out there but winter riding gear helps and no snow generally.

I agree with everything EXCEPT starting it up and letting it run during the storage period. The enemy of storage is condensation. You are creating condensation by letting the bike warm up, then shutting it off and letting the bike get cold again and letting it sit. Other than that, good write-up. :beerchug:

Well, starting it up is probably more for me than the bike BUT, I would argue that condensation in an internal combustion engine assembly usually is centered in the exhaust, catalitics, injection system or other "plumbing related" areas. My Busa has new synthetic oil, filter and treated gasoline. It's exhaust system is stainless and carbon. If I start it up in a dry environment, run it to 190 degrees F and turn it off, I believe the delivery of fresh clear synthetic to the top end of the motor (and all other oil passages for that matter) far outweighs any potential condensation. If I'm wrong I'd love to know why and where is the moisture build up? (if you say "the top of the piston, I still disagree). Raydog

Good reminders Doyle, here's doing just that in the middle of winter. :thumbsup:

Idling3-1-4-04.jpg

Idling2-1-4-04.jpg

Idling3-1-4-04.jpg

Idling2-1-4-04.jpg

Back