Intimidated by fluids. Help with rear brake

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
As some of you have heard I went down this last summer on my g/f's gsxr. Now, that the semester has ended I'm in a mad dash to get it back together before this Saturday (xmas). So she can take it back home and surprise her dad with a really loud and fast monster. Here's the list of things I'm having to replace:

1. radiator
2. All plastics
3. Left handle bar assemply (hi beam, horn, pass)
4. Headlight.
5. Fuel tank
6. The rear brake lever.

Damage for a bike and rider was pretty minimal all things considered. I got it out today and rode down the street getting her warmed up for radiator flush during this I noticed the rear brake is broke. My question is how do I go about fixing this? I don't really wanna mess with draining brake fluid. Mainly, because I haven't done it before and don't have the tools necessary for flushing brake fluid but if It turns out I have to drain the fluid I've got no choice. Please insert input here...........

Maybe this is what I can buy from pashnit.

OMG what a day. the video isn't working for some disregard the video.
Shiro

100_1210.jpg

100B1220.jpg

100_1211.jpg

Attachments

• 100_1222.MOV
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Have you checked with your local dealer to see if they have a brake pedal in stock?

Might be kind of tuff ordering anything and getting it before this weekend.

if all it is is the pedal....a cotter pin and a spring and you should be good to go

if all it is is the pedal....a cotter pin and a spring and you should be good to go

But behind the lever and the metal plate is a connection between the pedal and a tube with brake fluid I assume. That's why I took the video to show the connection between the pedal and the tube. If I have to detach this connection will I need to bleed fluid because of air?

man....that is dark. put a light on it and take pic of the tube you are talking about.

Maybe some one with more knowledge will chime in. What size is the gsxr?

No tubes that I have ever seen on one. Are you sure its not just a tube slid over the spring? Should only be one cotter pin, spring, and a c-clip from what I remember.

But behind the lever and the metal plate is a connection between the pedal and a tube with brake fluid I assume. That's why I took the video to show the connection between the pedal and the tube. If I have to detach this connection will I need to bleed fluid because of air?

There is a cotter pin at the back of that pin holding the broken brake pedal piece it will come right out when you remove it (I just did this the other day).

If this is a GEN II, PM me an email address and I'll send you the service manual in .pdf it's a MUST HAVE...

You do not need to drain any fluids to do this. It is part of servicing your brake pedals and is pretty simple.

There is no tube involved. It appears what you are referring to as a tube is actually the master cylinder. It appears to me the only thing you need is a brake lever and you are in business. No need to get into the fluid. :thumbsup:

There is a cotter pin at the back of that pin holding the broken brake pedal piece it will come right out when you remove it (I just did this the other day).

If this is a GEN II, PM me an email address and I'll send you the service manual in .pdf it's a MUST HAVE...

You do not need to drain any fluids to do this. It is part of servicing your brake pedals and is pretty simple.

It's a gixxer dude!

Sorry for the delay fellas had to do a game night xmas thing with g/f and her family. The bike is an 06 gsxr 600. I'll take better pics tomorrow and post em up early in the a.m. That should give me enough time to do everything tomorrow. Maybe the local suzuki dealer has everything in stock (fingers x). Thank you guys for the quick replies. I have a copy of the manual and don't see anything on replacing the rear brake lever. Page 41 talks about adjusting the height and there's a small snippet on lubrication but nothing about replacement. I'll be back in the a.m. with some brighter clearer pictures.

Shiro

p. 395 might help (in case you missed it): http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/600/Suzuki_GSX-R_600_K6-K7.pdf

or p. 513 of the Gen II manual details pedal removal procedure

Thanks Kromdom.

You guys are right it wasn't a fluid filled line just the spring with a protective band on it. I can't post pics girlfriend took the camera to work. I appreciate the assistance. I'll post better pics later today of broken then fixed.

Have a great day,

shiro

Check out bikebandit.com. online schematics and fast shipping.

Check out bikebandit.com. online schematics and fast shipping.

snagged the whole setup off ebay for $50. i expedited the shipping. I should be seeing it Monday. :( ohh well. Got a pretty good deal on it. What can ya do... However, thanks for the suggestion.

Shiro.

Back