Leaky gsxr fuel tank I've got 1 week to remedy??

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
While resurrecting my g/f's 2006 gsxr 600 I had to replaced the dented and scratched tank with a purtty one. I was able to use the whole fuel pump assembly as nothing was damaged in the accident (cough cough). When I added fuel to the tank to begin cleansing of the radiator the fuel started dribbling out from underneath the tank where the fuel pump connects into the tank. My question is was there supposed to be a gasket between the seal of the fuel pump and the fuel tank? When I removed it from the first tank there was nothing in between the tank and the fuel pump and nothing leaked. Now, I have gasoline dribbles :banghead::banghead: I was hoping to have this done by Christmas. :11zpissed:

It seems early 750 models included gaskets: fuel tank gasket question : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

BUT NOT NOW: there isn't one???

Low price guarantee on Suzuki Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Quad Runner Parts, GSX-R Parts and Accessories

Help would be very very appreciated. I'd love to get her bike back to her by Christmas since I wrecked it the day we got it lowered and ready to go for her.

Shiro

There is an o ring for all Suzuki in tank fuel pumps.
That's what keeps the fuel in.
Metal to metal is not gonna do it .

I purchased the o ring a the very bottom of the fuel pump in this link but noticed it's on the outside of the fuel pump when the fuel pump is installed on the tank. Or am i just looking at this picture incorrectly?

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully, i'll be able to see if I can get the o ring i bought to work tomorrow afternoon.

I think it is just being shown on the outside because it isn't sold as part of the assembly. If I remember correctly, it presses into a grove on the tank.

I think it is just being shown on the outside because it isn't sold as part of the assembly. If I remember correctly, it presses into a grove on the tank.

Yea there is a groove there and it does seem logical that's where the o-ring fits but the picture confused me. Secondly, everything I've read has interchangeably used the terms 'o-ring' and 'gasket' in reference to this part. My experiences have always been with flat 'gasket' and tubular/round 'o-rings'. So, I wasn't sure what was needed. I'll go ahead and install the the o-ring/gasket I bought and see how that works. Fingers crossed monday works out. I'll post some pics after all is said and done. Maybe get some input on the cheapo Hong Kong plastics I bought.

Shiro

yup there is a groove and you do need the oring. dont use any formagasket by the way. i am sure you knew that already but sometimes you try things...lol least i do.

yup there is a groove and you do need the oring. dont use any formagasket by the way. i am sure you knew that already but sometimes you try things...lol least i do.

That was going to be my next ploy because i didn't think an o-ring was to be used for a "gasket" so I was going to get a round gasket ohh 3 inches in diameter. Thankfully, I posted here first. :thumbsup:

I did the same thing on my first tank swap, in O ring in the grove and tighten.

Back