Winter riding vs. Summer riding

MEBusa

Registered
Not talking about black ice, or ice on the road, but can you tell a difference in riding performance, on a "cold" (not icy) road, vs. a "hot" road from the summer heat.

ie Tire grip, cornering...

Thanks.

I ride year around, and don't ride as aggressive during winter. Don't notice significant difference, as you would notice between dry and wet conditions. I do drop the pressure during winter to 30/32 vs 36/38 during warm season.

bike feels stronger in the cold weather. Never had to deal with ice on the road unless you count some one cleaning their cooler into the street.:laugh:

I ride year round in VA, and there is a difference. I won't ride hard enough to drag a knee once it gets into the 40's(just me, not saying it can't be done) It depends on what tires you have, but none of them stick as good once it gets too cold. Low sides are alot easier to do too, and tires take alot longer to warm up. The rear will also break loose alot easier under hard throttle. It's nothing to worry about, just something to be aware of.

I won't do any hard cornering once the temp is in the low 50's and below. I don't do corners enough to know my limitations though either. On cold pavement under hard acceleration you'll just blow the tire away depending on what you got I suppose and how much your tire has warmed up. Play around, have fun and learn your limitations, but be safe :beerchug:

yes, you can tell a difference...i ride year round in IL and like IG and sixpack577 said, i won't push nearly as hard once it dips close to freezing...i also run Diablo Strada's during the winter as i have found they heat up quicker and stick better than Corsa III's in cold/wet conditions...the most important thing is maintaining throttle control since there is less room for error

In addition to the good things posted above, you need to be more careful in winter, at least in the east. Fall brings lots of leaves which collect and can be very slippery. Likewise, sand accumulates in places. Lastly, water can pop through the road and freeze into a sheet of ice. Saw that this morning on a major road here in metro DC today. Just keep vigilant and don't hotdog it too much. Ride safe.

Yes, of course the colder it get's, the less "sticky" things are. I still ride year round here in CO, just need to adjust a bit.

Living in Canada, "year round" riding is not an option for me. Having 5 foot high snowbanks from December until March make this impossible (again... for me!). However, in early spring or late fall, one of my biggest concerns when riding around the freezing temperature mark... manhole covers are something to keep an eye out for. Riding over one of those things can be going from "okay grip" to "NO grip" in a split second. Also, shaded areas, when riding downtown, are something to take notice of as well. Some mornings or evenings, where the sun feels like it has strength, can be very deceiving once you get to shaded areas. In the spots where you have sun, the pavement can be dry and still provide a reasonable amount of grip but, in shaded areas, you could still have that ever so slight difference of a couple of degrees where a thin sheet of ice still resides or is forming.

As other members have already posted, you need to watch for road hazards like bridge connections, salt/dirt, and other "slippery" areas. Give more time for your tires to warm up. Watch you tire pressures (cold weather will reduce tire pressure just like your car). Your bike may also have more "pep" from the cooler, denser air (depending upon how it is mapped).

The biggest difference to me between riding in the summer and in the winter is that I am less "smooth" riding in the winter than I am in the summer. I attribute it to the heavier/bulkier clothing required for winter riding. The winter clothing restricts movement (as compared to summer clothing). Even a little restriction or tightness can cause your movements on the bike to be less smooth.

Even with it's negatives, winter riding is still better than driving a car...

My experience with winter riding is, cold tires are COLD until a mile or 2 to really warm up to feel stable, less flexible on the bike because of my bulky layers, and stop light turns are very beginner like with minimal lean due to salt/sand.
Posted via Mobile Device

I HATE THE COLD:cursin:
i live in the south, its not s'posed to get cold!
cold=truck not bike, dangit!

Winter riding vs Summer riding is all about the size of the wiener ie. weenie!

:whistle:

I like the grippy feel of sun hot asphalt. However, you can feel the HP in cold weather, and tires do pretty good, it's the rider that suffers most.

Back