What's The Problem With The ZX10

Pardini

Donating Member
Registered
Kawi stopped sales, wants the ones in customer hands back. Bikes are on a "Tech Hold"

Anyone heard why? Must be a safety issue.

I wonder what they would do if you didn't turn it back in?

It has to be something pretty major that they are pulling them back to the warehouses and giving full refunds for the bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to find out, sounds like the guy on 10r isnt gonna give his back, keep an eye on that thread for sure.

I read somewhere that same similar parts got mixed at the factory and the wrong ones got put in some engines

Bought a 1st year Acura TLS and regretted it. Lucky for us we were able to take advantage of the lemon law. Never again will I buy a first year anything!

I would take mine straight to a dyno! It might be a fluke engine that puts out 200 horses to the wheel. I owned an 05' and loved it. The 05's although identical to the 04's, have better tranny internals and reworked fork springs. I guess I'm glad I did'nt jump on the 04's.

I wonder what they would do if you didn't turn it back in?

It has to be something pretty major that they are pulling them back to the warehouses and giving full refunds for the bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it works out cheaper doing it this way. "They will buy them back and those people will have the first opportunity to by the new models when they come back out". The price on them may well be higher when they get back in the showroom. I would go running back to the stores with it, then again I wouldn't be all to fired up about riding around on that bike :whistle: so whats the point in keeping it. :laugh:

Could be the only problem with them is they forgot to raise the price enough :rofl:

Last edited:
Maybe they've accidentally released the unrestricted version.
I've did some researching, and it sounds like thats the case. For whatever reason, either to get some unrestricted bikes in for mag tests, or just general confusion, it seems some unrestricted euro bikes made it in to the publics hands in the states. The guys that have been told to bring the bikes back in have NOT been told to stop riding them because of any mechanical danger either :laugh: In fact kawi's not outright saying what the problem is to ANYBODY, except it isn't mechanical. But they HAVE alludded to ecu issues, as in possible unrestricted euro ecu's in restricted US bikes :laugh: Plus some of the 10's are putting out 20 more hp than others :rofl: I think we have our answer :thumbsup: Somebody screwed up bigtime :whistle: I'd never give my bike back if it dyno'd 20+ horses higher than it was supposed to.....he*ll no! :beerchug:

Kawi has turned this 10 release into one of the most drama filled new bike intro's I think I've ever witnessed. Its like watching a real good suspense movie filled with tons of unexpected plot twists and turns....only its real :rofl:
I guess its true................truth is stranger than fiction :laugh:

Last edited:
I've did some researching, and it sounds like thats the case. For whatever reason, either to get some unrestricted bikes in for mag tests, or just general confusion, it seems some unrestricted euro bikes made it in to the publics hands in the states. The guys that have been told to bring the bikes back in have NOT been told to stop riding them because of any mechanical danger either :laugh: In fact kawi's not outright saying what the problem is to ANYBODY, except it isn't mechanical. But they HAVE alludded to ecu issues, as in possible unrestricted euro ecu's in restricted US bikes :laugh: Plus some of the 10's are putting out 20 more hp than others :rofl: I think we have our answer :thumbsup: Somebody screwed up bigtime :whistle: I'd never give my bike back if it dyno'd 20+ horses higher than it was supposed to.....he*ll no! :beerchug:

Kawi has turned this 10 release into one of the most drama filled new bike intro's I think I've ever witnessed. Its like watching a real good suspense movie filled with tons of unexpected plot twists and turns....only its real :rofl:
I guess its true................truth is stranger than fiction :laugh:

Man...land of the free?...and they're even policing and taxing our Horsepower?...wtf?...welp...guess it's par for the course in a world where it seems the pope bought stock in the trojan corporation. :rofl:

Kawi has always sailed too close to the wind. Way back it was the 900 that wobbled all over the track above 110mph, then the Concours dropping rods, now this.

If it was just an ECU issue, I can't imagine why they want to ship the bikes back to the factory in Japan?

It's a carefully planned out business strategy designed to drive customers in looking and hoping they can find one that hasnt had the 'fix'.
I doubt highly a Japanese org like Kawi doesn't know wtf they are doing .
Turn a few bikes loose that are 'unrestricted' or 'stronger' in some way.
Then say ooops we may have made a mistake :)
People would are most likely that crowd is going crazy!
Kawi dealer phones are prolly ringing off the hook !

Last edited:
yet another example of why not to buy the first model....

My Hayabusa is a '99. I love it!

Man, if it is in fact tuned up race versions of the bike, the people who kept theirs.... :thumbsup: I bet they'll be worth some money. They people who returned theirs... :banghead:

If they are "unrestricted" units hitting the market. What kind of fine would Kawasaki have to pay for those units that do not meet exhaust emissions?

The chances of that being the case are so slim to non existent...

Plain and simply... major corporations like kawasaki do not issue buy back orders unless they absolutly 100% must do it...

It costs a fortune to do a buy back... its not JUST the costs for the bikes, its man hours, shipping, etc...

A buy back is the absolute last possible option you do when in that type of situation... It admitts 100% liability on the companies part, and costs a fortune...

If kawasaki decided to do a buy back, its not because of emissions, or bikes that perform TOO well... It is almost guaranteed to be from a catastrophic failure in some way, and something which can not be fixed in the field through a simple recall...

Its because the costs of the liability greatly outweight the costs of the buy back...

As an example, pep boys was fined 5 million dollars for selling 241,000 non emission compliant vehicles(from china)....

the number sold by Kawasaki is no where near that large, so the fines resulting from emissions would be also no where near 5 million...

However, the costs of organising a buy back, likely start approaching the millions....

and the 186mph limit is not a govt mandated limit... So it would be easier to sweep under the rug, and go :whistle: than to do a buy back...

cost benefit analysis is what it all comes down to...

Something is BAD ENOUGH to make it cheaper to pull the entire zx-10r stock back, vs trying to fix it in the field and dealerships....

Back