Ramp

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Wondering what kind of ramp you guys use to load the busa into your truck, if you load it up in a truck bed.

I want a ramp wide enough to ride the busa up into the truck and also be able to put the ramp in the bed to unload the busa at my destination... I read a couple old threads but nothing that really gave definite answers on a good ramp for this...

I had the 3 section 10' arched one, it folded into 5'...can't remember the name. It was aluminum and could be seperated into 3 pieces. You could ride on the bike up the ramp...very nice ramp for 600 bucks.

Mine was the BIG BOY ...price has came down from when I had bought mine. I used it for the Harleys before the Busa...

Just my opinion, but I find the easiest way to get the bike in the back of a truck is to find yourself a spot near you house or area where you can back your truck down into or across a small ditch/gully or up against a small hill-anything you can do to get the trucks bed lower to make the ride up easier. Then you can use a shorter ramp or plank to get into the truck. Then reverse procedure when you get where your going.

The problem is if you use a single ramp, your feet wont be on the ground till your in the bed. You want to minimize this time or eliminate it completely.

You can use a triple wide ramp, its better, but bulky and still kinda scary until your up in the truck.

I think you will find the ditch or hill method much easier and alot less stress.

Im sure others will agree.

I think you will find the ditch or hill method much easier and alot less stress.

I could probly find that around here just dont know if when i get to my destination i could find that... I would rather have a ramp that could work on flat ground... I did the calculator thing on motorcycleramp.com and i need a 9 foot ramp for the busa...

You' d be surprised how innovative you can get. Those big triple wide ramps are expensive and take up alot of room. I have a homeade Busa trailer now, but ive done the truck thing quite a few times.

I need a 9 foot ramp according to the ramp calulator. I dont think that factors in if the ramp is arched tho... So maybe i could work with an 8 foot arched ramp?

You may wanna give thought to those triple ones. Riding up, no problemo. Backing it down with no footing, could get ugly! Trailer is out of the question? You could probably score one for what those triple ramps run.

My Tri-Panel Arched Dresser Oxlite is 7'6" long and works perfectly with a tail gate 33" off the ground.

Motorcycle Accessories | Oxlite

2091561290102950911S600x600Q85.jpg

cheers
ken

You may wanna give thought to those triple ones. Riding up, no problemo. Backing it down with no footing, could get ugly! Trailer is out of the question? You could probably score one for what those triple ramps run.

Yeah Im looking at wide ramps or multiple ones for footing. If i bought a trailer it would be an enclosed one

I dont know 4wd silverado, stock. I usually use a bank or a slight incline so it's almost level or close to level. Ramp is wide enough to put both feet down while loading.

I have 2 8ft arched ramps that are about 1 ft wide, I usually back the truck up to some sort of little embankment or anything I can find to get the bottom of the ramp up just a little bit, And then walk up one ramp and have bike running and drive it up ramp standing beside it. On my 1000 I just ride it up it cause it dont matter if I wreck it. Seriously

There is nothing like a good set of ramps, for years I used the trick of finding the lowest spot in someone's driveway to load using jury rigged set ups. Then could never unload by myself, had to find neighbor kids or their dads to help me. Now I have a good set or ramps that I can load and unload myself plus a good set of tie downs. Mindful I have a long bed on my truck so I can stow everything easily and still close the tail gate. :cheerleader:

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Heh Russ, couple of other things to chew on...You are absolutely right when you talk about height of the bed...I have a Duramax 1ton. I got a ramp made for my truck that is an eight foot ramp...weights about 80 lbs. I could carry a 3000 lb safe up it if I had the strength..which i don't. But here is something to consider. If your ramp is too short and the ground is level you will have a pretty wicked angle when you change from cement to ramp. Keep in mind that you have to carry a little speed as you approach this critical juncture. When the front wheel leaves the pavement and hits this relatively steep section (if the ramp is too short) you could get a nasty little compression out of the forks and get off center...and then the shizzle is on. Ever watch some of the utube things where guys crash their bikes trying to get on or off ramps? Having a 600 lb bike land on your chest or pelvis could be death on a stick, mate.
I'm glad you posted up this question...I'm going to investigate some of these ramps the other guys are using...Was seriously thinking of just renting a trailer next track day...I was just riding to the track but now I want to bring more junk with me...:laugh:

I could probly find that around here just dont know if when i get to my destination i could find that... I would rather have a ramp that could work on flat ground... I did the calculator thing on motorcycleramp.com and i need a 9 foot ramp for the busa...

Ya mean you don't want to wander around aimlessly looking for a ditch...
:whistle:
What's wrong with you????? It's not like your leg/foot is broken, sheeesh.
:laugh:

Back