Do you cancel your insurance in the winter

spencerrr

Registered
just wanted to know the pro's and cons of doing this, I have SF. hope this isn't a stupid question. thanks full coverage. when do u guys usually cancel

Last edited:
no, i ride 12 months a year...if you contact your agent, you will probably find out that canceling isn't worth the hassle...they don't charge an even amount for each month as they know they have less liability during the winter months when most people don't ride...the majority of your premiums are charged during the riding season and you will get very little back for not carrying the policy during the winter months

no problem, that's a part of the learning curve...tons of info around here! :beerchug:

in NJ if it's got wheels and a motor it has to be insured. I'm just waiting for them to force me to get lawn mower insurance. :banghead:

Like redline and Semi stated, usually it's a false savings...if you make comparisons after any fees involved, etc you end up paying about the same amount with a lot of companies.

Some policies require a higher fee to "purchase" the right to cancel during the Winter months.

Others only "charge" for 8 months out of the year and give you 4 months free.

I can't. I have some sort of sweet deal with Farmers and if I cancel, I have to start all over and the rates are higher when it gets reinstated. :poke:

thax for the replies. now that i think about it i'm going to be ordering a few things for the bike this winter, new image seat is one, so i think i better keep insurance for the long test ride

sorry guys did a search and saw some good info. should have done search first

IIRC my SF agent told me that they average it out throughout the year so that you don't cancel on them. If you have full coverage you might be able to drop SOME coverage down but it was only $3 for me so I just left it alone.

Good on you for learning the site better and using the search button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will not save you any money in the end. then you risk the chance of picking it back up at a higher rate since you cancelled.

When I had my paperwork issue and I couldnt ride, I just reduced my insurance plan to just cover the things that can happen while I keep it parked. Like theft, vandalism, natural disaster, etc. etc. So that basically reduced my premium. But right now as paperwork issues got resolved, I'm keeping full insurance, as I know I'll ride wheneva weather will permit. :)

So to answer your question, may be you dont wanna cancel your policy, just reduce the coverages.

statefarm, i drop everything but comp,homeowner covers everthing else.cost 5 or 10 dollars a month for 5 months so it is worth it to me.

Back