Pledge question clarity

MEBusa

Registered
I've read the posts about pledge, & it's ability to clean, & bring out that shine on bikes. Two things, wasn't really clear, or where unanswered in the several posts I've read.

1. Can you use the pledge, to do the actual cleaning of a bike, that's really dusty or dirty?

2. Do you actually, use it for the windshield, & visors for the helmets. Or just use windex for that?

Thanks!

I've read the posts about pledge, & it's ability to clean, & bring out that shine on bikes. Two things, wasn't really clear, or where unanswered in the several posts I've read.

1. Can you use the pledge, to do the actual cleaning of a bike, that's really dusty or dirty?

2. Do you actually, use it for the windshield, & visors for the helmets. Or just use windex for that?

Thanks!

Whatever you use, don't use Windex on anything involving a helmet or a motorcycle. Pledge works well for the cleaning, as does Plexus.

Rain X on the sheilds. I've cleaned with Pledge before, but I was careful not to grind any dirt into the paint and scratch things up. I think Honda Polish is better for cleaning, but Pledge does leave a great shine.

Thanks!

1. If it's very dusty/dirty, I would wash it first just so you don't grind the dirt and dust on the bike.

2. Yes, you can use it for the windshield, visors for the helmets and even your leather gear.

Here's a pic of the whole front end after using it. Old pic but same result every time you use it.

May 26 2010 004.jpg

Last edited:
Rain X on the sheilds. I've cleaned with Pledge before, but I was careful not to grind any dirt into the paint and scratch things up. I think Honda Polish is better for cleaning, but Pledge does leave a great shine.

Thanks for the replies.

After reading & reading, I think my "combination" will be:
RainX (For the shields)
Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish or Bike Spirits Spray (For deep cleaning)
Pledge or Plexus (For daily cleaning & shine)
Kerosene (Chain Cleaning)
Dupont Multi-Use Lubricant (Chain Lube)

What do you think... Armorall for the "sides" of the tires?

I use it on the whole bike except tires, seat, grips, and other parts you don't want to get slippery.

April 14 Ride 013.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

RainX (For the shields)

NO Armor All. Dangerous if you ask me. Please NO!!!!! You don't want those tires to get slick.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

RainX (For the shields)

That's how I do it, and a good leather conditioner for the seat(works good on the stock seat too)
I armorall my sidewalls, I'm just careful to keep it off the tread. I always flick the bike side to side leaned all the way over whenever I take off. It gets dust, dirt, and the slick stuff off before I do any hard riding

Thanks!

Dont get windex near anything, helmet or bike. Paint does not like ammonia. Just used a wax or pledge to clean everything.

Thanks for the replies.

RainX (For the shields)

You got it there, just be careful not to get any lubricants or polish on the tread of the tires. Also, I use 2 micro fiber rags while applying Pledge to my 08. I use one to apply the Pledge and wipe most of it away, then a second cleaner one to bring out the real shine by removing any excess.

windex will remove all polish or wax...it works pretty well as a light degreaser.

what you want to be careful of is scratching the finish with the dust or dirt. Once you wipe an area and remove the dust and dirt, you should use a new towel, or clean section of your towel.

if you do not, you may put scratches in the finish from the dust,dirt and even dried wax previously taken off.

my best friend at work put armor all on the tires of his 650 and low sided it on his way to work. he told me he must of slid on some loose gravel. then i saw his bike and how shiny his tires were. he learned his lesson the hard way, please keep anything except soap and water away from your tires.

Pledge works for all metal and plastics. Just don't use it on your seats as you slide all over the place .
I use windex on the tread of my tires after I wash and wax bike, after I clean chain and after I lube the chain .
I soak a towel with the windex and with bike on stands I clean tread side with the towel. I make absolutely sure no wax, WD40 from chain cleaning or chain wax are left on the tires. Windex makes your tires nice and sticky . Keeps you upright :)

my best friend at work put armor all on the tires of his 650 and low sided it on his way to work. he told me he must of slid on some loose gravel. then i saw his bike and how shiny his tires were.

Exactly what I'm trying to say.

Pledge works for all metal and plastics. Just don't use it on your seats as you slide all over the place .
I use windex on the tread of my tires after I wash and wax bike, after I clean chain and after I lube the chain .
I soak a towel with the windex and with bike on stands I clean tread side with the towel. I make absolutely sure no wax, WD40 from chain cleaning or chain wax are left on the tires. Windex makes your tires nice and sticky . Keeps you upright :)

Having your seat slick is a good thing. You can slide side to side easily through curves, even if you don't drag knees. Blanca is unqualified as he only has two curves to ride on(technically 4 when he turns around):laugh:
It just depends on your riding style. Don't assume it's a bad or unsafe thing unless you try it, and are uncomfortable with it.

I've used pledge on the whole bike, nothing on the tires. Since I wipe down after every ride I've never really used on a "dirty bike" other than the rims.

1. If it's very dusty/dirty, I would wash it first just so you don't grind the dirt and dust on the bike.

2. Yes, you can use it for the windshield, visors for the helmets and even your leather gear.

Here's a pic of the whole front end after using it. Old pic but same result every time you use it.

+1 If it's got dirt/sand or a considerable amount of dust. A hard rinse with the hose and as long as you had to get it wet soap an water and then a good drying and unfortunately then a ride to heat up the chain for some cleaning and lubing :whistle: :laugh:

Back