Question for the exhaust GENIUSES!!

KvHotDog4

Registered
Ok maybe not genius but someone who knows what they are talking about.

Here is the deal, I am riding my 2007 in a parade Saturday (every year thing) I am always the quietest one with the HD's and Valkyrie's. I would like to remove my muffler and mid pipe for the 2 or 3 hours of the parade so I can be LOUDER!! of course this will also come with revving (no red lines 8 - 10k quick pops) and maybe a few burnouts (always easy on her, but I like to kinda let her loose for this event). I know this would be ok for the stock headers, however, I have a fully Muzzy so all the exhaust would be coming out of one big pipe instead of 2 smaller ones. Factory is about 1" x 2 and Muzzy about 2.5" - 3".
My question is will this screw up my bike? More than a yes or no will be greatly appreciated because I am the type of person that always has to know why.

I have no problem staying quiet to save my bike, the easy burnouts and quick revs lets people know the power :laugh:

And so no one worries about the bike if I do not get an answer I will be leaving the muffler on just to be safe. I can't afford to be replacing valves or whatever else could screw up.

Thank in advance,
Kevin

I don't know about ruining your bike, but it will certainly ruin the public's perception of you. If I saw someone do that to their Busa just so they could be louder than a Harley, I would think that person was an absolute imbecile, and someone I would not talk to or want to be associated with.
But that's just my opinion.

I don't know about ruining your bike, but it will certainly ruin the public's perception of you. If I saw someone do that to their Busa just so they could be louder than a Harley, I would think that person was an absolute imbecile, and someone I would not talk to or want to be associated with.
But that's just my opinion.

Wow ouch!! Thanks for the honesty, I also like the sound so its a little more than just being louder I just didn't know if an extended amount time would damage the bike. I love feeling the ground shake when I am idling. lol

It will hurt your performance slightly from the lack of back pressure, and of course not being tuned that way. The engine will not lean out enough to damage anything. Consider how many folks run straight header with just decorative tips with no baffles.

Consider how many folks run straight header with just decorative tips with no baffles.

How deafeningly loud is this? Say, compared to the 100in revtec motor with straight pipes that was in my Hardtail? (really deep rumbling 4-5 blocks away, yet healthy sounding)

How much will it kill performance? Can I have my bike tuned properly for mufflerless exhaust with a PC3?

Bike is a '99

Kevin, please save the burnouts for the racetrack and not in front of a crowd. Only helps create/continue a bad perception of sportbike riders. Let your Busa speak softly but carry a big stick....

Besides, should you start burning your tires up, and wipe out, I would be laughing at you along with the crowd and I'd hate to be doing that.....

How deafeningly loud is this? Say, compared to the 100in revtec motor with straight pipes that was in my Hardtail? (really deep rumbling 4-5 blocks away, yet healthy sounding)

How much will it kill performance? Can I have my bike tuned properly for mufflerless exhaust with a PC3?

Bike is a '99

It won't kill your performance and you won't lose alot of power, but you can notice a difference in throttle response. You'll also feel "flat spots" or sluggishness throughout the rpm's. A good dyno tune(PC3 is fine) will definately wake the bike up. However you would gain more power and smoothness with an aftermarket system.
Unbolt and remove your mufflers and crank and rev the engine(this won't harm anything). That's exactly what it sounds like with straight tips, and only slightly quieter with baffeled tips. It's a much more hi pitch sound(typical 4 cylinder) that doesn't really compare to a v-twin.
Dyno tuning isn't cheap either, so personally I'de get the exhaust you really want before you have this done. If you just want the tips, the dyno isn't a must, but is still something I'de do.
Check out Brock's, the Alien Head sounds awesome, it's loud, and even louder without it's baffle. Brock's will send you a base map for your PC3 too, it will run great just like that, but as always a dyno is the only way to perfect things.

It won't kill your performance and you won't lose alot of power, but you can notice a difference in throttle response. You'll also feel "flat spots" or sluggishness throughout the rpm's. A good dyno tune(PC3 is fine) will definately wake the bike up. However you would gain more power and smoothness with an aftermarket system.
Unbolt and remove your mufflers and crank and rev the engine(this won't harm anything). That's exactly what it sounds like with straight tips, and only slightly quieter with baffeled tips. It's a much more hi pitch sound(typical 4 cylinder) that doesn't really compare to a v-twin.
Dyno tuning isn't cheap either, so personally I'de get the exhaust you really want before you have this done. If you just want the tips, the dyno isn't a must, but is still something I'de do.
Check out Brock's, the Alien Head sounds awesome, it's loud, and even louder without it's baffle. Brock's will send you a base map for your PC3 too, it will run great just like that, but as always a dyno is the only way to perfect things.

Yeah, I just hate the stock cans, I want to turbo it... but financially that just simply isn't going to happen for a while. So I was looking for a low budget alternative to the stock cans I can do this winter till next winter (hopefully) when I can spring for a turbo.

Not wanting to dump a ton of money on exhaust that isn't gonna be on for very long.

Thanks for the info.

It's all up to what YOU like the sound of, and whether or not your looking for performance gains. A dyno tune makes your fuel/air correct for whatever setup the bike has, no matter how much or how little.
Just consider that alot of the potential power from an exhaust that a dyno can utilize comes from the engineering in the exhaust itself. A stock header was designed to be ran with mufflers for optimum performance. Just as Brock's builds, test's and tunes all there exhausts from quiet street setups to loud straight track designs.

Yeah, I just hate the stock cans, I want to turbo it... but financially that just simply isn't going to happen for a while. So I was looking for a low budget alternative to the stock cans I can do this winter till next winter (hopefully) when I can spring for a turbo.

Not wanting to dump a ton of money on exhaust that isn't gonna be on for very long.

Thanks for the info.

Sure, I typed the below after I read this. I cut my stock 08 mufflers down, it saved 11.5 lbs and sounded alot better.

Years ago, I had to ride a few miles on my Katana 600 with the can that broke off (after a lowside), so it was just hanging there. It was unbelievably loud!

So after reading this I am going to say its ok to take the can off of my 4 into 1 header and not have any engine problems.
Thank you for all the comments, as far as continuing the bad perception, Westmoreland is a very small town most people know everyone and most people know the bike and know how I ride it. And about it spinning out the 2 spots I spin are very flat and don't have a slope in the rode so it will just stay in the spot it spins and I am not brave enough to try and ride it out. Just a good spin for about 5 seconds then done. However, if it does spin out and I completely destroy the bike I will have to make up a story to tell you guys because there is absolutly no way in heck I am going to post up about a show off burn out crash the day after I was warned :moon:

Kevin, you know you cant hang with those Valkries. I saw some older guy spanking you at the fall bash...lol

Lol :rofl: Good thing we are only showing not racing, I still LOOK faster :rofl:
SSPX0049.jpg
SSPX0050.jpg

An update about the parade, I didn't get home from work intime to line up so no worries about the bike. Always next year plus 57 hours makes for some good Christmas money.

SSPX0049.jpg

SSPX0050.jpg

In the future you can always pick up a Rivet gun and simply Gut the packing out of the muffler to increase the volume. Then stuff it all back in when done. you basically end up with a straight pipe disguised as a muffler.

Hey Kevin, can I borrow some cash?

I'll help anyone out that I can, however, I have a super hot girlfriend of 3 years waiting on a ring so kinda strapped for cash lol.
imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
n507731424_2586124_1806.jpg

How I got her i'll never know (it was the bike) but I am definatly not going to complain :thumbsup:

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

n507731424_2586124_1806.jpg

Back