Gen1 mufflers on Gen2

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
SDC11023.jpg

SDC11027.jpg

SDC11026.jpgI got these Gen1 Akrapovic bolt on mufflers for my Gen2. They were $229 shipped from ebay. That was my money for Q2's, but to cheap for me to pass up. The left has to fit the right stock Gen2 midpipe, and vice versa, that's why the badges are on the inside. Someone overtightened the hanger clamp as you can see because it slides up a little to mount to the Gen2 footpeg.
It worked out great, as I'm going to cut them about 6" to 8" shorter. I think I'll leave the badges inside rather than than switch the inlets and have them back on the outsides. The pipes willl be shorter so the badges will be hard to notice, which is what I wanted. I'm gonna hi temp prime/paint the midpipes black. The heat sheid brackets are cut off the midpipes and the converter is gutted. I'm gonna run it this way until I can buy the exhaust I want and get it dyno tuned with ECU Editor. The fuel map is stock and the bike runs fine.
$200 cheapo exhaust is still much better looking and sounding than stock anyway:laugh:

SDC11023.jpg

SDC11027.jpg

SDC11026.jpg

A few more, the close up of were the bracket damaged the muffler is what's getting cut out.

SDC11028.jpg

SDC11025.jpg

SDC11031.jpg

You got a great deal on the bolt-on's but I wouldn't have mentioned you spent your tire money on them. I would have also left the rear photo's off the site as well. "Just saying"

As for the high temp paint on the mid pipes, I don't think it'll work. I tried this on one of my bikes and waited a couple days for it to dry. The pipes got so hot that the paint burned off in a matter of minutes. Since you're going to change your system eventually, I would just leave it as such. If you could reattach the heat shields, I would have those ceramic coated black and you'll be all good. That's what I ended up doing.

You got a great deal on the bolt-on's but I wouldn't have mentioned you spent your tire money on them. I would have also left the rear photo's off the site as well. "Just saying"

As for the high temp paint on the mid pipes, I don't think it'll work. I tried this on one of my bikes and waited a couple days for it to dry. The pipes got so hot that the paint burned off in a matter of minutes. Since you're going to change your system eventually, I would just leave it as such. If you could reattach the heat shields, I would have those ceramic coated black and you'll be all good. That's what I ended up doing.

I don't care what folks think about the tire. As I said I had tire money, but cheap exhaust is hard to come by, It was a good deal spur of the moment, I can buy tires after Christmas. My rear tire came apart on the last hot day of riding so my bike's been sitting. I was creeping down the road to hear the mufflers and the tire popped. Something I was expecting, and prepared for. It's not a big deal, I don't see or care why it bothers anyone. I don't think I'm invincable, but I can handle the bike just fine. I also said the heat sheild brackets are cut off, and they wouldn't match these round pipes anyway.
I had cut the stock mufflers and painted them and the paint stayed for the 3 months or so I ran them. It depends on the paint and the application. It's only temporary anyway.

so a gen 2 exhaust would fit a gen 1? i would just have to switch sides?

Yep, as long as they are like your Hindle with the sliding band clamp muffler hangar. There is are a couple inches difference between the Gen 1 and 2 where the muffler bolts to the passenger peg.
Again if they're like your Hindle you can drill the rivets and remove the muffler ends on the pipe sides. Switch them and rivet them back together(just like disassembling mufflers to repack them) and the mufflers will mount to the same sides. The midpipe bolt pattern between gen 1 and 2 are mirror images of each other.

I don't care what folks think about the tire. As I said I had tire money, but cheap exhaust is hard to come by, It was a good deal spur of the moment, I can buy tires after Christmas. My rear tire came apart on the last hot day of riding so my bike's been sitting. I was creeping down the road to hear the mufflers and the tire popped. Something I was expecting, and prepared for. It's not a big deal, I don't see or care why it bothers anyone. I don't think I'm invincable, but I can handle the bike just fine. I also said the heat sheild brackets are cut off, and they wouldn't match these round pipes anyway.
I had cut the stock mufflers and painted them and the paint stayed for the 3 months or so I ran them. It depends on the paint and the application. It's only temporary anyway.

Well at least you didn't get hurt. As for the rear tire bothering some folks, I guess we have our own thoughts on first priorities. Just My Opinion.

Well at least you didn't get hurt. As for the rear tire bothering some folks, I guess we have our own thoughts on first priorities. Just My Opinion.

I keep my bike well maintained, and I ride it for all it's worth. It's the perfect "Do it all" bike as it is my stunt bike too. It's meant to been ridden hard, not cleaned and shined everyday and crept around on. Tires wear out, deals come up, Christmas is around the corner...priorities change. Some folks are too particular about a insignificant things.

Are you sure those are Akra pipes? Look like DnDs with Akra badges.

Could be, but they sound nothing like D&D. They have a deep tone like Akrapovic do, not that deafning hi pitch D&D racket. Either way, I don't care, I didn't pay Akrapovic prices.

Those are not Akapovics. Not even close.
May I suggest that you remove the cheap riveted inwards facing Akrapovic logos? Those kinda make you look like a hick. You say yourself you don't care if they are Akrapovic or not...
And do not save on tyres man. The price of crashing (or not enjoying the Hayabusas full potential) is not saving, it is just bad business.

Those are not Akapovics. Not even close.
May I suggest that you remove the cheap riveted inwards facing Akrapovic logos? Those kinda make you look like a hick. You say yourself you don't care if they are Akrapovic or not...
And do not save on tyres man. The price of crashing (or not enjoying the Hayabusas full potential) is not saving, it is just bad business.

I was gonna remove the badges when I cut the pipes anyway. I don't care what brand they are, they are better sounding and looking than stock for not much money. As far as me looking like a "Hick" because they are on the inside of the pipe, that's BS. They won't even be visible after the pipes are shorter.
AGAIN, I'm Not saving on tires, nor did I say I was! The tire came apart on a long ride on a hot day...and it's been parked since. I slowly went down my empty road to hear the exhaust, the tire popped, Big Deal!
Everyone is the safety police huh? I do enjoy my bike to it's full potential too. Do you see my avatar? Do I look like I'm not using the Busa to it's "full potential"? Seems like everyone wants to cry because they see a tire that got used. I was about to order tires when I found the cheap pipes, so the tires can wait til after Christmas! I ride year round, but since it's very cold here, I can wait a little longer.
The whole point of this post was picture proof of mufflers being swapped between the gen 1 and 2, which has come up in several posts lately!!!

Back