Quick question part duex

busa186

Registered
For those who helped the first time... I have the front stand selected and on order. Did a quick search on tire removal (pretty simple) but the reason I am taking the tire off is to have them powder coated. I need to take the disk off but then I need to remove a dust seal and replace with new one? Do I really need a special tool for that as the manual says (oil seal remover) kind of sounds like a socket stretcher or my blinker fluid is low... then do I need to remove the bearing also? It went from quickly taking my wheel off and $100 for powder coating to a new stand and rebuilding the front wheels...

I have to hurry and do this before the wife see's the account:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help!

You don't need a seal puller, they'll probably come out by hand. If not they can be carefully pryed out.
As for your wheels, that's a good question. I'de say that the bearings could stay in and just be taped off during spraying. I wouldn't think the oven heat in curing would harm them any.
If you remove the bearings it's nearly impossible not to damge them. I assume powder coaters would mask the center of the wheels anyway. The bearings are a tight press fit, and the thickness of the powdercoat would hinder or stop them from going in.

No special tool required. Yes, you will need to remove the bearings also.

To be on the safe side you need to remove all the guts of the rim they will media blast it and the drying oven will be 350 - 400 degrees to cure the powder, make sure the seal area is taped and sealed up good dont want to get any sand or powder in that area.

Yes you should use the tool and yes you're gonna have to remove the bearings too because you dont want them painted over or powdered over they must rotatw freely.
Most places will tell you to take them off before you drop off your wheels, so basically you are gonna have to rebuild them it's always better that way anyways if you think about it, at least for some of those hokie yet strangely oh crap I shouldve put a new one on there and maybe I wouldnt be sliding down the road 150 feet at 90+ mph parts...

And while you're at it, let them check the blinker fluid, it might really be a little low too:laugh::poke:

:beerchug:cheers

To be on the safe side you need to remove all the guts of the rim they will media blast it and the drying oven will be 350 - 400 degrees to cure the powder, make sure the seal area is taped and sealed up good dont want to get any sand or powder in that area.

Yup....kinda what I said although in a more retarded and comical way:laugh:

There is the obvious answer! The sand/media blasting to remove paint may get in the bearings, therefor ruining them!

If you can't get your seals out intact, and it doesn't want to pry out from the middle with a screwdriver. Put a self tapping screw in and pull the screw with pliers.

Yup...but I told you that already...whopper breath:laugh:

How did you know what I had!? I gotta watch my back more:laugh:
And I was just answering my own above stated question. One of those, Duh, I knew that moments:laugh:

How did you know what I had!? I gotta watch my back more:laugh:
And I was just answering my own above stated question. One of those, Duh, I knew that moments:laugh:

Dude! What do you mean how do I know what you had to eat?????

It was on Wikileak:poke::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Duh!

I figured I would remove all pieces... just trying to save some cash. But I guess, "If you can’t afford a new tire you should not have a motorcycle"

Back