Quick question

busa186

Registered
can I change my front tire using this?...

front stand.jpg

thanks, I just spent 45 minutes looking for the best kind and I give up! I just need to get the front wheel off and quit getting ripped off every time I get my tire changed!!

Thanks again!

I can't answer for sure, but as I was looking at front stands some appear the axle will clear while others will block the axle. See if you can google for better pics of the one your considering.

It should, but look at the picture and see the plates on the support part of the stand? They may keep the axle from sliding out. If you can use the stand and keep those rotated down you wont have any issues. That type of stand lets the forks rest on the rubber fingers. I personally prefer the type with a pin that fits under the fork tube and is less likely to slip off.

My T-Rex stand looks like that and I didn't have problems with the axle clearing. Just a an FYI, you'll need to move the fender forward as the stand will not raise the bike high enough to remove tire. Well at least my T-Rex stand didn't. I got lazy, didn't move the fender and used a floor jack to lift the bike (center) a bit and it worked great.

i think it will work though watch for tipping. They are not as stable as the trip[le tree stands.

Use that front fork stand only with a rear stand. It will be unstable if you have not imobilized the rear with the bike upright and secure, which is what a good rear stand will do.
Those flat plates are actually weights that help put the 2 rubber covered pieces in postion to locate under the front forks.

Answer to your question is YES..

Use that front fork stand only with a rear stand. It will be unstable if you have not imobilized the rear with the bike upright and secure, which is what a good rear stand will do.
Those flat plates are actually weights that help put the 2 rubber covered pieces in postion to locate under the front forks.

Answer to your question is YES..

+1 on that!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice, have the rear stand. Now its time to start getting some of my money back from the stealers! :beerchug:

Learning to wrench on my own bike has been very satisfying...:beerchug:

It's like packing your own parachute, NOBODY cares as much about the quality of the work as YOU DO....

And dont forget to put the back stand on first, then the front stand. Get some help the first time or two.

What are your secrets to getting front stand to lift the bike. I can lift my self off the ground but the front end won't budge.

I use rear stand to lift the rear, then stick a steel rod through the middle of the frame, put two jacks under the rod on both sides - just 1" from the shifter and 1" from the brake pedal, and carefully lower the bike on the stands and remove the rear stand.

Then, I use a floor jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan (right behind the oil plug), to lift the front a few inches.

Never had the front stand.

Oh, and what you showed in the picture, looks like a rear stand.

Last edited:
I used two 4 ft. nylon straps and a come-along and hung it from an ibeam in my garage. My neighbors thought I was crazy but it worked. Just an idea. Next time I will take a pic,you could spin it 360 no prob.:laugh:

Thanks for all the advice, have the rear stand. Now its time to start getting some of my money back from the stealers! :beerchug:

congrats. just take your time with it and before long you'll be wondering how you ever got along without your own set of stands

Then, I use a floor jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan (right behind the oil plug), to lift the front a few inches.

Never had the front stand.

Oh, and what you showed in the picture, looks like a rear stand.

I agree with IG. I guess it depends on why you need to remove the front wheel and for how long. If you where to change the tire or say the disc's and it was only going to be off a short time, I would loosen what I could then lift (jack it) up with a piece of wood under the oil pan just enough to get the wheel out. Keep in mind that I would have the rear wheel on the race stand. That help keep the bike level.

Then you could use jack stands and carefully lower the front forks onto them.
Reverse the process to re-install.

Hope this helps. There are many ways to do what you want to do.
Pick what you think is the best! And Good Luck.

What are your secrets to getting front stand to lift the bike. I can lift my self off the ground but the front end won't budge.

Do you have the kind pictured above for lifting under the forks, or the type that lifts under the bottom clamp that lets you remove the forks?
Either one lifts the front with the same ease, and similiar movement.
You need to "scoop" the front end up, as opposed to downward force.
If you push in the wrong way it will get in a bind like you seem to be referring to. If you change the motion slightly you'll be suprised how easy it goes up.
And if you have a triple clamp style stand, put a towel over the front fender to keep from scratching it up, they're a tight fit on the Busa.

Back