I miss my 16/43, what is easier on chain?

KhandyRhedBhusa

Registered
i have ran the 16/42, then 16/43
(this was my bandaid for not having 2nd, and 3rd gear)
Im back down to 16/40 and I miss my 4th gear highway pulls ):
lol but as daily rider, i would like to have something easier on the chain
and sprockets, but same pull. Is this possible?

when you ran a 16/43,,a couple questions,,,how much of a difference from stock did it feel? and how far off was your speedo? was a speedo healer needed?

so, with 17/45, how much off is the speedo ?
The math is pretty simple.
Stock gearing is 17/40 (gen 1)
I always think of it as the inverse ratio 40/17 = 2.353 ratio, so take that as the baseline

17 front and 45 rear works out to 45/17 = 2.647

therefore modified / stock = 2.647 / 2.353 = 1.125 = 112.5%

Which is 12.5% more grunt. Your speedo will read 12.5% higher than actual - that is, if you actually believed your speeding the first place! :rofl:

Last edited:
I prefer to go up with the rear sprocket rather than down in the front.

A smaller front sprocket robs a little HP as well as creates more wear on the chain from bending in a tighter circumference!

One other aspect to consider is the chain pull angle in relationship with the swingarm. This has an affect on suspension performance.

I prefer to go up with the rear sprocket rather than down in the front.

A smaller front sprocket robs a little HP as well as creates more wear on the chain from bending in a tighter circumference!

One other aspect to consider is the chain pull angle in relationship with the swingarm. This has an affect on suspension performance.
Excellent advice all around.

The math is pretty simple.
Stock gearing is 17/40 (gen 1)
I always think of it as the inverse ratio 40/17 = 2.353 ratio, so take that as the baseline

17 front and 45 rear works out to 45/17 = 2.647

therefore modified / stock = 2.647 / 2.353 = 1.125 = 112.5%

Which is 12.5% more grunt. Your speedo will read 12.5% higher than actual - that is, if you actually believed your speeding the first place! :rofl:

good stuff, i actually looked on the back of the package of one of my sprockets, and it tells you right there, 2.35 vs 2.65 end ratio, which is 12.8% diff.

thanks dude!

Not exactly sure what kind of trans problem you are having but it may not be a good idea to ride it with a trans problem. A friend of mine had his trans lock up on him at 45 mph he almost died.. Not from the fall but from his sister who was driving a car right behind him. :laugh:

Back