''Help Please''

joker81

Registered
:1zhelp:
First let me apologies if this post is in the wrong section,

So I went to replace my back tire since it was time, on the way home

When I was pressing the rear brake it felt like it had no grip no stopping power

So I called the shop that install the tire told him how it felt, and he said that

It was ok that he had clean the disk and that it was going to feel like that...

Now couple of days later stills the same, in fact I was pressing so hard trying

To lock my rear tire but never could. Also notice that my brake lights are

Very dim when I press the front or rear brake.

What I'm wondering if you don't mount correctly the rear brake will it affect

Brake lights too??

Thanks in advance

no it shouldnt affect it. The light is activated by a switch in the hand and foot lever. It doesnt have anythiong to do with how you put the tire on. Though i would say he is kinda yankin your chain on the rear break feeling funny. It should lock up if you are pushing that hard. I would wonder just what the hell he cleaned them with and y?

Just a thought but he may have pressed the brakes back when cleaning them and never pumped them back up. Does it feel like you have a pedal when you press it or does it just almost fall? If this is the case try pumping the brakes up. If this is the case it will take a few pumps I have never counted but when changing my rear brakes it feels like a thousand pumps before it really give resistance.

thanks for the advice, still a noob so i have no idea how to pump the brakes, I'll probably take it back to the shop tomorrow morning.

thanks for the advice, still a noob so i have no idea how to pump the brakes, I'll probably take it back to the shop tomorrow morning.

Pumping the brakes is just like it sounds, press the pedal up and down, it pumps fluid back into the caliper that would have been pressed out if he did press the brakes back when cleaning or removing the wheel. When you press the brake does it feel normal (like you have resistance) or is it very soft and just bottom out?

Come on dude, really? You've never heard of pumping the brakes? The real question is what did the guy clean the disc with?

Come on dude, really? You've never heard of pumping the brakes? The real question is what did the guy clean the disc with?

This would be my question too, I am just trying to eliminate the other options before blaming someone when all that was needed was to pump the brakes. I would definatly ask what he used, but my thought is if it was a bike shop they should know what to and not to use to clean rotors with. Then again if they didn't know to pump the brakes I would question their abilities lol. :poke:

Sounds like maybe air in your rear brake line? Try this, hold your rear brake down and tie it off to your wheel our something to keep the peddle down. Wait to release peddle for 12 hours. If there's any air in the line, it will move from the line to your fill bottle. See if this works.

Is there a film or something oily/greasy on your rotor?

i bet the idiot at the shop cleaned the rotor with wd40. I have seen them clowns do this before to get a sale on breaks etc. I would get a can of brake clean and spin the wheel by hand and clean the rotor myself. I would also follow the other advise and pump the break up till you get some pedal. Keep an eye on the fluid level in the res cause i bet they screwed with you sh1t!

Why are you even using your rear brake? ???

The only time I use by rear brake is at a stop and trail braking?

You got skills? :laugh:

Why are you even using your rear brake? ???

The only time I use by rear brake is at a stop and trail braking?

You got skills? :laugh:

lol...you dont use rear break to help you scoot the back end on corners>???

Shouldn't be an issue after a few miles of pumping that pedal....be careful! Let us know what it was when you figure it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

If the brake light is dim
check for a bad ground
check for a bad bulb
or wired backwards if aftermarket
or check voltage going in and coming out of the switch
could have a bad switch

Thanks to all that suggested pumping the brake, It's working now :bowdown: , and my bad when I said I didn't know how to pump the brake for some reason I was thinking of bleeding the brakes, guess I was more asleep then awake I normally go to sleep at 9pm to get up for work at 4am, it was after 11pm :laugh:

eve been riding for 2 yrs now, zero accidents :thumbsup: , noob on doing maintenance on my bike, I always take it to the dealership.

Well I think I may have a bad switch because I already try adjusting the rear brake censor still nothing.

Thanks to all that suggested pumping the brake, It's working now :bowdown: , and my bad when I said I didn't know how to pump the brake for some reason I was thinking of bleeding the brakes, guess I was more asleep then awake I normally go to sleep at 9pm to get up for work at 4am, it was after 11pm :laugh:

eve been riding for 2 yrs now, zero accidents :thumbsup: , noob on doing maintenance on my bike, I always take it to the dealership.

Well I think I may have a bad switch because I already try adjusting the rear brake censor still nothing.

Is it an aftermarket light or factory? If after market check for loose wires, if its factory check for a loose ground wire. (Like someone else said I can't take credit). I am not sure but I would think the sensor would just be a simple on off type thing, if your light is coming on just not bright I would think it would rule out the brake sensor. JMO

The light doesn't get brighter the harder or further you press the pedal it just comes on, thats why I am thinking not the sensor

Last edited:
easiest way to tell witch if any is bad is to unplug one at a time. Which ever affects it is bad

Back