Tell the NTSB to stay out of our states!

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
Federal transportation safety wish list includes helmet law

The National Transportation Safety Board this week issued a “wish listâ€￾ that includes mandatory helmet laws for all states.

Not a lot of people understand the importance of states rights and how they pertain to a limited federal government. But this is an issue that will hit home with many bikers. I appreciate and follow AGATT as much as possible, but it's MY DECISION, or at the very most, the state's decision....not the Federal Government's!

Many people are going to say "well, it's the smart thing to do." And while I agree, I also cannot stomach yet another Federal Government smack down of my Constitutional rights.

If people are stupid enough to ride without a helmet and scramble their brains when they crash, I'd like to say "that's their own business, Darwin is watching" - up to the moment that they eat up my tax dollars the rest of their lives because they are now 'wards of the state" eating out of a straw when a helmet might have saved their heads...

Having said that, this is a state issue not a federal issue. States rights is a very touchy issue that apparently the Fed has YET to recognize.

If people are stupid enough to ride without a helmet and scramble their brains when they crash, I'd like to say "that's their own business, Darwin is watching" - up to the moment that they eat up my tax dollars the rest of their lives because they are now 'wards of the state" eating out of a straw when a helmet might have saved their heads...

Having said that, this is a state issue not a federal issue. States rights is a very touchy issue that apparently the Fed has YET to recognize.

You're more right than you realize. We have the right to be stupid. We have the right to kill ourselves (accidentally of course) without the permission of the Federal Government. The Federal Government is gaining too much power. Czars and administrators and government bueracrats are slowly eroding your rights. We all wear helmets (most of the time) but if we want to go without, and our state has permitted this, we should have the right.

If it was just a choice then I would be all for it. But we are all connected by insurance. When you wreck without a lid you DO get hurt. Insurance doesn't judge rates by individuals, the judge by percentages. Your "choice" has me paying higher rates.

I'm tired of paying for your "choice"

Then you should be pushing your state to enact helmet laws, not the Federal Government. Or better yet, ask your insurance company to insure you for helmet only coverage. I know they won't do that, but it's a logical waiver that they should seriously consider. if you are injured without a helmet, and you indicated on your policy that you wear one, you should not be covered.

- Ronald Reagan Speaks on Freedom![/url]

I dont see anywhere they have the power to make helmet use mandatory or to do 99.9% of the things the Fed govt is doing
Article 1 - The Legislative Branch
Section 8 - Powers of Congress

<<Back | Table of Contents | Next>>

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where people miss the point is here... It is about money... it always comes down to money. Dead people cost money... traffic injuries cost money... long term or lifelong care costs money. People for the most part, have the right not to wear a helmet on their own property and they have the right to pay their own medical bills. When they can't afford it, state and federal taxpayers have to pay for it.
Money is the bottom line. Nothing to do with "rights"

Where people miss the point is here... It is about money... it always comes down to money. Dead people cost money... traffic injuries cost money... long term or lifelong care costs money. People for the most part, have the right not to wear a helmet on their own property and they have the right to pay their own medical bills. When they can't afford it, state and federal taxpayers have to pay for it.

exactly. if you kill yourself w/o a helmet on while noone else is involved, then no big deal. if a cager kills you while you dont have a helmet on , then your family sues for wrongful death. sux you died, but maybe you would of lived w/ a helmet on. so is it wrongful death? thats the argument. think about it. its no different than tying your shoes or wearing your seatbelt...you do it cause you know its right. dont make a big deal outa deal outa doin something you do anyway. it protects us as riders, and it protects us as drivers. thats your government doin whats right for everyone as a whole, not just tryin to make one particular group of people "happy".

Can someone show me the statistics on how unhelmeted riders cost more money than helmeted riders??

Helmeted riders get brain damage too, it isn't a magic helmet. Death rates are logically higher, but are you trying to tell me death and a funeral costs more than a lifetime of neurologic disability?

I bet you, hey... I bet you that motorcycles cause more death and disability, as a percentage, than cars. So... Let's just go ahead and outlaw motorcycles too. Yeah yeah, I know, this will make some people mad because it takes away their "liberties," but lets face it. Motorcycle riders are a burden on us tax payers. There is no reason why a motorcycle should be allowed as a civi liberty, we have cars!? Wait, lets make a concession, we'll allow Cruisers, it is that sportbike group that causes the most damage, so let us outlaw those dangerous fast bikes. This isn't about what is good for YOU, or for me, this is about what is right for the country as a whole. Let us all be more responsible.... You get where I'm goin with this? (I actually think an MD congressman was attempting to outlaw sportbikes a short while ago, this isn't just some ludicrous stuff I made up).

You're missing the point. It has everything to do with rights, states rights. I am not denouncing helmet laws. I am denouncing the role of the Federal Government in mandating those laws. The states should retain the power to enact these laws, not the Federal Government.

Helmet laws are fine when put into place by the state.

Last edited:
I think you're all correct in your opinions... This is what I would do...

States should create helmet laws and allow riders to sign a waiver that says they can't get disability from taxpayers if they scramble their brains if they don't wear a helmet... If they do wear a helmet they can be covered for long term care...

The family would surely want them to wear a helmet, the rider now has the information in front of him knowing what the consequences are and the burden he is putting on his family...

There, everyone is happy now...

State reduces deaths
Taxpayers are paying for long term care
Riders can be Free and ride with no helmet if they choose...

it has everything to do with Rights....rights derive from property and I own myself and you nor no man have a claim to my person...the state and federal govt have absolutely no rights they only have privileges and only those that you and I allow it to have...

The states do have rights though, the Constitution is very clear about that. However, we grant those rights to our state by means of election. I suppose I'm splitting hairs, but it's an important distinction.

States should create helmet laws and allow riders to sign a waiver that says they can't get disability from taxpayers if they scramble their brains if they don't wear a helmet... If they do wear a helmet they can be covered for long term care...

I would be in favor of this, but our government would never permit it to pass. For some reason, personal responsbility is a lost trait these days.

Back