Busa for Ducati?

Rauzer

Donating Member
Registered
Been debating on trying to trade my 06 LE for a Ducati. Had an 05 Monster a while back and I ride with a guy who has an 1198. I dont use half the power my bike has and 80% of the riding I do it to work and back, a couple days a year I get out on some back roads. I absolutely love the Ducati sound with a Termi exhaust. Not looking for a new one, or another Monster, a 749 or 849 would be fine. Thoughts??

Ok I sold my 1098 for my Busa. My friends thought I was crazy but it was a great choice and I never look back.
Each person has different needs so there is no right answer. I was on a one year waiting list, bike was a piece of art. Hands done a beautiful bike. If you are over 5'10, if you ride in the city, if you hate repairs, don't do it.

I have a 15-20 minute ride to work. I didnt get the Busa for the "performance" aspect of it, I only ever wanted the 06 LE. Even in the summer, I might ride the bike 2-3 times a week. I only put just over 2K miles on it in a year, and probably most of those were during couple hour blasts around back roads.

Dont know that I'd call it "trading down" to an 849, how many people actually use all of the power the busa has? Really. Probably 1/4 of the people on this board.

Seems to me its a decision based on branding....

Nah. I had a Monster, sold it bought a HD, traded that straight up for the Busa, really just for the looks of it. Always loved the Ducati sound and the look of their bikes. Guess I'm getting bored with it.

I have a 15-20 minute ride to work. I didnt get the Busa for the "performance" aspect of it, I only ever wanted the 06 LE. Even in the summer, I might ride the bike 2-3 times a week. I only put just over 2K miles on it in a year, and probably most of those were during couple hour blasts around back roads.

Dont know that I'd call it "trading down" to an 849, how many people actually use all of the power the busa has? Really. Probably 1/4 of the people on this board.

Dude, like I said, get what you want. You asked for an opinion and I gave you mine. You don't like it, fine, don't ask on a public fourm. From what you state only riding 2k a year...get off bikes completely or like I said previous get what you want. It sounds like a recreation decision any way and you can afford to have one.
Yes, it would be trading down in my opinion, for me. I don't know you from a hole in the wall so I cannot make that judgement for you.You didn't get the Hayabusa for performance? What did you get it for? I got mine for performance and comfort and looks and and and....
You really shouldn't ask peoples opinions and the poo poo them even if it is to justify your indecision...and that's all I have to say about that.

Rauzer, if you're bored with the Busa, you should go get your Doctor to give you an EKG. - You may be clinically dead...

I doubt you will use all the power of the Duc on a 20 minute ride to work either.???

Perhaps a cruiser would better suit your riding needs?

Either way....enjoy whatever you get.:beerchug:

There are so many choices of exhaust for a busa.I am very sure one of them would win the sound of the ducrapi with a termi.Even you change to a ducrapi,the maintenance amd everything compared to a busa is way too expensive.That ducati cant go at slow speed it will jerk,using a v-twin engine its meant for track.My friend have the 748 pearl white ducati,sold it for the frazer 1000 to tour to places.To each of its own:whistle:

I've been looking the 848evo as a next toy. My father is insistent on a graduation present. I was considering asking for a new truck, or a vacation, but those are both things that would expire or lose sentimental value over time as the memories fade and the truck gets used and worn. I threw out the idea of a semi extravegant motorcycle that I could keep forever, something that is refined and art like. A piece I'll be proud to have in my garage 20 years from now. I love my hayabusas, but they're just not art to me. I would never use a ducati as a commuter unless it was a monster or a multistrada, but the 1198 seems to fit my bill for a rare weekender, functunal art that'll always have true sentimental value and wont be worn by the abuses of daily driving.

to each their own. I wouldn't use a duck superbike for what you're wanting. back road blasting can be done just as well on an r6 or an expendable commuter. If that's the case, sell your busa, buy a cheaper but newish 600 and pocket the difference. 600's are a dime a dozen, especially approaching the winter months. back road blasting is a blast (no pun intended) on any modern 600 with some gearing. bikes like the zzr600 are also great commuters because of their wide saddle etc. i put 16k miles on my zzr6 in 5 months.. it's a great commuter and actually handles very well when you're used to the heft of the busa.

enjoy and keep us updated.

Seriously u can't ask a busa board if they think you should trade your busa for another brand. That's crazy! It's a reason we all ride busa's

Seriously u can't ask a busa board if they think you should trade your busa for another brand. That's crazy! It's a reason we all ride busa's

No offense, but I don't think you can really say that. Some of us are general motorcycle enthusiasts of all kinds.

Judging by your mod list, you should be on an electra glide. The busa is a hyper touring bike/factory drag bike. it's overkill for what most everyone needs in a bike. If i didn't primarily drag race, I wouldn't own busas. I've considered selling my street busa as it's overkill for the street. I'd almost rather have a much milder bike on most days. It'd be hard not to have the available power, but it'd probably keep me out of trouble :whistle:

I've been looking the 848evo as a next toy. My father is insistent on a graduation present. I was considering asking for a new truck, or a vacation, but those are both things that would expire or lose sentimental value over time as the memories fade and the truck gets used and worn. I threw out the idea of a semi extravegant motorcycle that I could keep forever, something that is refined and art like. A piece I'll be proud to have in my garage 20 years from now. I love my hayabusas, but they're just not art to me. I would never use a ducati as a commuter unless it was a monster or a multistrada, but the 1198 seems to fit my bill for a rare weekender, functunal art that'll always have true sentimental value and wont be worn by the abuses of daily driving.

to each their own. I wouldn't use a duck superbike for what you're wanting. back road blasting can be done just as well on an r6 or an expendable commuter. If that's the case, sell your busa, buy a cheaper but newish 600 and pocket the difference. 600's are a dime a dozen, especially approaching the winter months. back road blasting is a blast (no pun intended) on any modern 600 with some gearing. bikes like the zzr600 are also great commuters because of their wide saddle etc. i put 16k miles on my zzr6 in 5 months.. it's a great commuter and actually handles very well when you're used to the heft of the busa.

enjoy and keep us updated.

Exactly the sort of response I was thinking of, Thank You! I dont have the commute that some other folks on here have. About 10mins thru town, 5-10mins down 95 and I'm there.

I have a thing for the Ducs as the Monster was my first bike. Riding with my friend that has the 1198 has made it worse. None of the other small sport bikes strike me. I think I'd be more likely to get another Monster or other naked bike before I got one.

No offense, but I don't think you can really say that. Some of us are general motorcycle enthusiasts of all kinds.

Judging by your mod list, you should be on an electra glide. The busa is a hyper touring bike/factory drag bike. it's overkill for what most everyone needs in a bike. If i didn't primarily drag race, I wouldn't own busas. I've considered selling my street busa as it's overkill for the street. I'd almost rather have a much milder bike on most days. It'd be hard not to have the available power, but it'd probably keep me out of trouble :whistle:

Yup! I know there's other people on here that like all kinds of bikes. I feel the same about mine. Being that I dont ride very much, I dont do any track time, and I dont drag race, the Busa is alot more bike than I need. Doing the back roads, I feel a smaller, lighter bike would be better for my skill. Kind of why I was thinking a 749/849, I dont really need a blazing fast bike, I'm sure they have plenty of power.

Based on your requirements, I suggest this:

Pink.jpg

Actually, that would be more reliable than a Ducati.

EDIT: Do you know how much it costs to service desmodromic valves? - That should be enough to put you off buying a Duc.

Last edited:
Back