Exhaust removing

Martin.UK

Registered
Help needed please.......... I am just about to remove the exhaust off sabrina. but i can see that the header bolts are very rusty. before i even go near them, what can i use to help with there removel. as i dont want to have any bolts snap off in the head.

thank you......

Get some good penetrating oil like wd-40 and spray them down and soak for a bit.

+1 spray between the header and block, but given the downward angle of the bolt you won't be able to get any to seep down into the threads. Surface rust is normal too, don't panic...yet:laugh:. Should a bolt head break there may be enough of the threads sticking out to get vice grips on. If that should happen, a quick heating around(not on)the seized stud with a handheld propane torch can help. The idea is to heat the head(not glowing hot)just enough that it expands before the fastener, making it easier to remove.
If that would not work, any good machine shop should be able to remove it on the bike, there IS enough room to work there.
That's worst case though. Also, use an allen socket instead of an allen wrench. Tap the socket with a hammer, a few good hits will also help free up a seized bolt. As well as tapping the ratchet or breaker bar as you try to turn it loose, if it doesn't want to move. Be careful to keep the socket squared in the bolt so not to strip it out too. Good luck, and they'll probably all come out fine.

Liquid Wrench!

Do you have all panels and radiator removed? This way you can get a decent "arm" on each of those seized or nasty bolts. You want to get square on them and then use a break bar to get that bolt to SNAP free. With the Liquid Wrench, one might break free easier than the others, but it will certainly make removal easier than normal. The heat option is always a great fall back. Sounds like you have the rad out already from our previous conversations about a rad?? Yes?

they don't get much torque from the factory but ive also seen a few bikes brand new with bent header bolts and over torqued too. liquid wrench is a big +++ too...

well i got the exhaust off today. 6 of the header bolts came out ok. and 2 of them i had to weld my best allen key to the bolt as it was that rusty it rounded inside. then the bolt that held the mid of the system to the underside snapped off.

so i now need to get a new Radiator, new oil cooler and new exhaust system as my link pipes have gone. so its a good time to fit a 4 into 1. and replace all the rusty bolts.

Start the bike, let it come up to full operating temperature. Shut it off and let it cool down to were it is warm (about 10-15 minutes), then try and remove the bolts. Do not spray liquid wrench on a hot engine (especially the head or headers!), or before you start it to warm it up. Use those sprays on a cold engine only and as a last resort.

My 2-cents

P.

here are some photo's of what poor sabrina look like in my garage, plus the 2 header bolts i had to weld my allen key to.

Photo0590_WEB.jpg

Photo0592_WEB.jpg

Photo0594_WEB.jpg

Yep, no starting this one I see. Warm the bolt with a torch then (not very long, maybe 30 seconds). How many miles does the bike have on it?

P.

OMG...déjà vu...lol you had better luck with yours than i did with mine...just did all that myself, good luck with it.....as it was 12 years ago, hope you have finished it by now lmao :lol:

God i remember this like it was yesterday. The fun of not having a bench lift to work on. And how unsafe does that look with just a 2 ton jack under the bike. How it use to be before i bought my first Abba stand (have 3 now).

Back