Helmets

jtriron

Registered
I am sure this has been discussed over and over............. But what is your suggestion on a proper helmet for a Busa on the street??

Thanks
J

You'll get lots of opinions, but the best thing you can do is try on different brands. See what fits your head the best, and is the most comfortable. Snell rated helmets supposedly comply to higher standards. I like Shoei, and Arai. Arai actually has three different internal shapes too, not just different sizes.
Also, once you find what you like, shop around for the best price. Helmet prices vary dramatically for the same make/model from different distributors.

You'll get lots of opinions, but the best thing you can do is try on different brands. See what fits your head the best, and is the most comfortable. Snell rated helmets supposedly comply to higher standards. I like Shoei, and Arai. Arai actually has three different internal shapes too, not just different sizes.
Also, once you find what you like, shop around for the best price. Helmet prices vary dramatically for the same make/model from different distributors.

Yes...what he said!!

The latest poll on here (last time I checked) shows Shoei as the most popular. But, I will agree, try a few different ones on and see what fits you best. If your lucky, try to wear a friend's to judge wind noise and air flow etc..

I had a Scorpion 700... Visor would never fog up, and no wind noise, but it weighed alot and cramped my neck up during long trips...

I have a Shoei X-11 now, alot of wind noise and visor fogs up instantly, but it's nice and light.

Don't buy an RF1100 . I'm selling the one I just bought and going back to an RF1000.
RF1100 is too noisy and whistles way to much !

Riding w/ earplugs is a good thing.

And as far as helmets go.... ARAI 'till I die! :laugh:

Not cheap but handcrafted & most comfortable = peace of mind :thumbsup:

I've had Arai, Shoei and HJC. My Arai is very light and very comfortable but pretty noisy (common complaint about Arai) and my HJC is comfortable and quieter but heavier and also much less expensive than my Arai. Try them on and don't go cheap as your brain is worth saving some extra money to buy a good quality helmet. It goes without saying that a full-face helmet is the only choice for safety.

So many myths when it comes to helmets! I agree with sixpack.

The most important thing is that the helmet fits correctly, if it doesn't, might as well slap a leather helmet on.

Scorpion makes a great quality, cheaper product than Shoei or Arai, mine has held up great for three years.

Some research has suggested that, in real world conditions, DOT approved helmets are actually SAFER than Snell approved helmets. Just do a google search on motorcycle helmet research, there was a big test, and the safest helmet was like a $60 DOT approved helmet. You can draw your own conclusions.

all my helmets are quiet...because I wear ear plugs all the time :) Seriously though, I like all my helmets: Arai quantum f, Shoei RF-1000, Icon Domain Decay 2, Scorpion EXO-700, HJC Sy-Max (modular).

Some people have Arai heads while others have Shoei heads,so its best to try it on and have someone who is helmet knowlegable show how to properly fit it on your onion.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a few of each major brand and some not so major. As stated previous, try on many for fit then pick style/color.
For me, weight, comfort and the ability to vent hot air out are the most important features after safety specs of course.
Good luck in your search! Post up picks when you commit to one!:thumbsup:

I found a new 'Hayabusa' blue and white RF1000 helmet on eBay last night in my size for $199
Woot woot :)

Back