looking for advice on cold weather gear!

bradbusa

Registered
hey guys, full time rider here.. i travel about 180 miles a day for school. i'm looking for some cool weather gear to keep me warm on the interstate. i know, florida doesnt get that cold, but i cant seem to keep my fingers from freezing!
I need some advice from the guys that ride up north where it actually gets really cold!
i'm looking at a few items from frank thomas, the antifreeze balaclava, and glove liners. has anyone tried them? opinions?
cash is tight so i'm trying to find the best product for the lowest price of course, otherwise i'd consider going with heated gear. i just cant afford it at this time.
GLOVE LINERS
BALACLAVA\

if you've tried something else that works or might work better, feel free to pass it along! thanks in advance for your input

the best thing you could do is move closer to school...why so far away

i live with family currently. the branch i go to is the closest location, and i moved to tampa from naples to be closer. believe it or not, it's actually cheaper for me to travel to school, than it would be to move to orlando. i'm using about 3 gallons of gas per day round trip. a vehicle is not in the budget either. if i had that kind of money, purchasing better gear wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Look for gear that uses the "Wind Stopper" fabric. I have it in a new Joe Rocket Ballastic 8.0 and in my balaclava (can't remember the brand). The stuff works great...

:laugh: as i type this, it's snowing at my house :moon::laugh:

im guessing you probably don't need to get whall blizardproof or carhart coveralls. if ya do, they rock! and will keep you toasty warm in sub 0 temps.

for cheep gloves, check "cheeper than dirt" they are a surplus outlet. get yourself some army shooters gauntlets. they are mittins with a shooter finger, they have wool liners that go inside them, and run about $20. i have also got some french riding mittens that work well, about $15.
cabellas has saved me more than once! gortex gloves w/gauntlets, and break-n-shake hand warmers by the case! In the middle of a blizard i found a cabellas in northern Idaho, better gloves and some handwarmers in my boots helped me make it to the coast:thumbsup: Cabellas rocks! but some of thier stuff can be kinda pricey$.
really the army has good stuff for cold weather, and most of it is dirt cheep.

there are a few threads on here where other motorcycle snowmen like me have posted pics of gearing up to ride.

:poke:say warm. :laugh::moon::laugh:

snowing.jpg

Find you a First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket, you will sweat to death in 30 degree weather. Not sure about pants, I have tried wrap chaps, leather, layers, etc. If you want real comfort, maybe electric liners would be in order.

Ski gloves or snowmobile gloves work great. I've rode with ski gloves and heated grips down in the lower teens with no problems. Ski pants work great over bluejeans, just take the ski pants off whenever you arrive at your destination. Found mine on sale a ****'s for $20.

^^ Like he said above, snowmobile gloves work pretty good. I was really suprised at how much warmer they were. They are a little bulky, but nothing terrible.

Schampa Technical Wear: Headwear, Balaclavas, Facemasks, Thermals, Skull Wear, Cold Weather Gear

Schampa has some good cold weather gear. I have their Pharaoh Balaclava and really like it. I have a little bit lighter weight one from someone else also. I only break those out when temps start dipping down into the lower 40's or 30's. If it's above that I just go with a neoprene half face mask to help keep my neck warm a bit. Plus it fits a bit better with a helmet. Neoprene 1/2 face mask

Schampa also has some neckgaiters that go mostly just around your neck but that really helps keep the cold wind from getting up into your helmet or down into your jacket to much. They're fairly cheap and always nice to have around.

Damn...you got me....I was gonna advise you to move to Florida., but I see thats not gonna help ya!!! So much for bein a smart ass!!:rofl:

I plan to go by my local Cycle Gear on Thursday and pick up a set of the Antifreeze liners linked above. They look like a solid product and I could use a set for the cold mornings during my 60 mile ride one way to work.

I will post up my thoughts once I give them a shot.

antifreeze_innergloves_MD.jpg

I am in north GA and it was in the high 30's at 7 am this morning on my way to work. It would not be too bad, but 90% of my ride is interstate.

snoopy wore a scarf & so do i.:rofl:

i forgot to mention sap gloves! they are great, the lead sand over the top of the hand totaly stops the wind. i've used 6 & 8oz sap gloves. both were great. i think the weight helped with hand buzz too.:thumbsup:

I use a set of deer skin leather gloves. They only cost me $20 bucks. Some of the Harley Dealers may have some.

^^ Like he said above, snowmobile gloves work pretty good. I was really suprised at how much warmer they were. They are a little bulky, but nothing terrible.

Schampa Technical Wear: Headwear, Balaclavas, Facemasks, Thermals, Skull Wear, Cold Weather Gear

Schampa has some good cold weather gear. I have their Pharaoh Balaclava and really like it. I have a little bit lighter weight one from someone else also. I only break those out when temps start dipping down into the lower 40's or 30's. If it's above that I just go with a neoprene half face mask to help keep my neck warm a bit. Plus it fits a bit better with a helmet. Neoprene 1/2 face mask

Schampa also has some neckgaiters that go mostly just around your neck but that really helps keep the cold wind from getting up into your helmet or down into your jacket to much. They're fairly cheap and always nice to have around.
Great site,thanks for posting!!!!

Back