Selling My K7 1k and buying a 350Z- Am I crazy?

AD Johnson

Registered
I got this crazy idea. I mentioned to my wife selling my Black and Orange 2007 GSX-R 1000, and put a few grand with it to buy a used 2003-2005 350Z for around $10-13k. It would be a hardtop, 6 speed, with leather.

I'd be keeping the Gen 2.
Our other cars are:
2009 Maxima- that I mainly drive
2008 Sequioa- that my wife drives.

The 350Z would be a date/work/errand/weekend car. I love the idea of what I'm gaining, but damn I can't help but think about what I'm losing. The wheelies on that bike are crazy! But it just never pulls like the Hayabusa! Also I love the fact that I have 2 bikes to chose from, but I guess I'd have 2 or 3 cars to chose from.

The 1k has about 10k miles.

M4 Titanium/Carbon Fiber half-system- sounds incredible
Fender Eliminator Kit
Frame Sliders
Brand new Pilot 2CTs Front and Rear (dammit)

The bike was invovled in a low side and has a prior salvage title as a result.

It's in excellent shape, but has minor scratches here and there.
Turns heads everywhere I go, and runs like a beast.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

AJ

Top 3 things to keep in the garage truck sports car and BUSA .
I like having a good second car over a second bike cause no matter what the other bike is its always gonna be 2nd with the busa in the garage
I keep a stang in the coral though :whistle:
- 350z vs Mustang GT[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
370 Z's look way spiffier. :whistle:

I've got my 'maro, my 'yota, and the 'busa...wife has the 'hoe. :laugh:

DSC00551.jpg

Did they ever work out the tire wear issue in the early Z's?

The car is heavy, it doesn't make all that much horse power, and it doesn't handle as well as it should for a "sports car". The interior is also lackluster.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the Z. The 370 is nicer, but it still isn't 100% in my book.

How often do you ride the 1000 vs the Busa? If most of your time is on the busa then go for it!

Hell no you arent crazy. You arent getting rid of the busa. Sounds like a good decision to me and one i would do if i had the money

or find another "sports car". maybe an 05-06 evo. they can be had in good shape for 13-15k, and are much faster than the Z. i'd say look for a supra but the prices are so inflated it's not even worth finding one. maybe an 02-03 Z06 vette is in your future, same price range as the nissan, much faster.

How does your wife feel about your dating?.....................

The Z cars just don't do it for me........no power, road noise, poor handling, etc............

Last edited:
I was always a huge Z guy going back to the 80's
Had a 70 73 79 83 turbo 84 turbo 86 turbo & a 93 twin turbo
(the straight 6 of the 70-83 cars may be the most reliable ever built IMO)

Loved them but then I had kids moved to a 98 M3 & then a quick sting with a 01 Audi S4 (worst car ever) till I bought my 02 M5

Still have a soft spot for the Z's would love an old 240Z again but with the 2 kids I need the 4 seater & the M cars have been stone reliable

If you want it go for it if you are unhappy with the deal you can always sell the z & buy another 1000

I find that with more than 1 bike.....one usually ends up collecting dust.

I personally would be looking at a used Cobra, or a Corvette....or even a clean Boxster if you want something a a little classier....

but if you like the 350Z go for it.....make a smart purchase and you can always sell it.

Get it. I have my Gen I, I have my truck, and when the trucks paid for, its M5 time! :cheerleader:

Go for it! You will still have the busa to satisfy your 2 wheel lust and the 350Z is a great car. Asking this question on a motorcycle forum is just asking for trouble as its clear some posting here don't know squat about 4 wheelers. The Z is a great handling car and there is a huge amount of aftermarket bits in case you want to bump up the hp....the sky is the limit. My brother has a Z Spyder and he loves it even though it doesn't perform as well as the coupe. Yeah, the 370 is nice too but not in the price range you are talking about so be happy with the 350 and just have fun. BTW, Nismo stuff is amazing quality if you can afford it over the other aftermarket parts.:thumbsup:

350z are ugly as all get out...the Infinity g35(or whatever its called looks alright) but ive had a few Nissans and they have been plagued with electrical gremlins...ill not buy another one

Go for it! You will still have the busa to satisfy your 2 wheel lust and the 350Z is a great car. Asking this question on a motorcycle forum is just asking for trouble as its clear some posting here don't know squat about 4 wheelers. The Z is a great handling car and there is a huge amount of aftermarket bits in case you want to bump up the hp....the sky is the limit. My brother has a Z Spyder and he loves it even though it doesn't perform as well as the coupe. Yeah, the 370 is nice too but not in the price range you are talking about so be happy with the 350 and just have fun. BTW, Nismo stuff is amazing quality if you can afford it over the other aftermarket parts.:thumbsup:

Just because we have different taste....does not mean we are ignorant in regards to cars.

Go for it! You will still have the busa to satisfy your 2 wheel lust and the 350Z is a great car. Asking this question on a motorcycle forum is just asking for trouble as its clear some posting here don't know squat about 4 wheelers. The Z is a great handling car and there is a huge amount of aftermarket bits in case you want to bump up the hp....the sky is the limit.

I take offense to your remark. How would you know our background with cars? Some of my sports cars include two Porsche 911s (993), a Porsche 944, and my latest was a RX-8.

If you want to talk handling, the RX8 is amazing. Everything it does is natural and flows. The 350Z an OK handling car. All you need to do is look up the platform the Z is built on. With Nissan, it's all about the lowest common denominator - shared components with their other sedans and SUVs. It's not a purpose built machine, and it shows with it's handling. Like I said, it's OK, but I wouldn't say it's great.

The only problem is that the 8's are low on hp (something Mazda tends to do with their vehicles...) Problem solved with a 3071R @ 16 psi = 360 whp. Daily driver that way for 2 years without an issue, before I sold it. Bikes are more fun.

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Last edited:
I'm not dissing anybody but to say that the 350Z is not a good handling car seems to contradict pretty much every autojournalist who has ever reviewed it since its intro. Of course there are better handling cars but this member isn't asking for opinions on what cars are better he is asking if he is nuts to sell his Gixxer to buy a 350. I have narrowed down my choice of next-car-to-buy to either a G35 or RX8 with the other option being an STI. The thing that has me hesitating on the RX8 is its common knowledge that it has cold start problems (yeah, I live in Canada) and hot start problems when you only run it a short time and then shut down. Also buying a used one brings up the oil consumption issue and whether or not the previous owner was diligent in having it at proper levels....lots of owners seem to sell because it is too high maintenance for them. Getting back to the Z, this car has the rep as one of the best-bang-for-the-buck cars you can buy and it looks great. Nissan reliability is way above average as well, despite the feelings of one of our members. I still say go for it....

i had a g35 coupe which is the infinity version of the z and let me tell you it handled like it was on rails stock. Then i went and upgraded the suspension with skyline parts and turboed it out and the power was unbeli8eveable. It way out handled any other sports car i have ever drivin including the 911 or the vette. It had viper like power and was way cheaper. I have seen some of them modded to well over 600 hp! About the only trouble i had with it was i couldnt get a good alignment on it no matter how hard i tried or who i took it to.

Back