Turbo Busa or Turbo 1000??

06limited1st

Registered
First of all, Hello to everyone! Haven't been on here in a looooong time! Sold the Busa last year and haven't posted on here since. Although I do browse the threads and see what's going on still..

So here's the idea I've been tossing around.. I love the prospect of a turbo Busa. Super fast and reliable. This is the way I've been thinking I want to go next year when I am in the market for a bike again. There's plenty of info on turbo Busas so I don't need any more info.

My question is essentially in the turbo GSXR-1000. Anyone have any experience with them or with the turbo systems that are offered? One of the reasons I'm drawn to the turbo Busa is the ease of installation and reliability that everyone preaches about. I can't dig up too much info on a turbo 1000 addressing installation, reliability, all the good stuff. Not looking to boost for than 6-8 psi either way..

Thoughts?? Maybe this should be in the turbo section? :moon:

what do you want to use the bike for, street or strip? wouldn't reliability be similiar to the bikes in general, without the turbos? i read something similiar recently on pb forums.. basically saying, busa is solid, 1000 you just look at it the wrong way and you're replacign rod bearings. anyways.. i would think on the street, turbo busa would be the more enjoyable choice.

i wouldnt do a turbo 1000. as was stated the motor isnt as tough. they wrap a lot faster then the busa and it is way choppy. I have ridden a turbo 1000 and i didnt want it after that. You really sacrifice ridability i thought anyway. The busa handles the power way better as it was built like a tank anyway.

I have been riding my 05 Turbo for 5 years so I can chime in on reliability. Love it, if you are looking though for something more flickable the 1k chassis is going to be easier to move, but learning to modulate the power in the turns and other places is going to be a big challenge.
last year a friend was riding my 05 turbo (he is quite skilled and rides a big bore 07) He complained that he had almost killed himself when the rear tire broke loose in a turn. Then it dawned on me that I had spent my first month with the bike gingerly learning to ride around the turbo. I can only guess how volatile a 1k would be with the extra boost would be.

And that's why I want to go big bore
Big Bore is a solid choice, and has the advantage of not having to add 50lbs to the bike.
That said you can get a more HP out of a turbo but you have to learn the machine, and maintain it.
The other issue that seems to be out there and I am no expert. Is that people seem to try and tune them to bleeding edge of performance than are surprised when something breaks. this is true of both turbo and BB bikes.

Plus 1. I like twists and don't want to spool in a corner. I'd love the turbo power and much better power per dollar, but it won't corner at speed under boost well. That gixxer will be way revvy and choppy. Busa for sure.

Deep down you know your own answer but we will help you vocalize it. :rulez::beerchug:

Lol. I figured the Busa would be deemed the most reliable. The GSXR is lighter and more agile in the twisties, so I've been looking for a reason that would convince me to buy one over a used Gen1 that I can turbo.. Planning on getting a new scoot next summer sometime so we'll see how Suzuki rolls out the newest edition of GSXRs maybe....

looks like ace has 1316cc motor kits for the 00-07 gsxr 1k. just saying, may be kinda cool to have a high compression, big bore motor in a 1k chassis.

That's not a bad idea Ogre. Still not going to get the reliable, bulletproof busa motor but... You have a link or additional info on that? 1316 seems like a big jump from 999..

How about to swap a Busa motor into a 1k frame?...Sort like what Lee Shierts did with his 600 Gixxy when he swapped in a Busa motor in it...It will make it heavier and less prone to get twitchy in corners, if you have enough balls to boost while leaning

Last edited:
How about to swap a Busa motor into a 1k frame?...Sort like what Lee Shierts did with his 600 Gixxy when he swapped in a Busa motor in it...It will make it heavier and less prone to get twitchy in corners, if you have enough balls to boost while leaning

God I love Lee "But he aint right"

Now that's the best idea there is. Here's a couple questions I would have; How 'easy' is it to get the busa motor in a 1000? Probably wouldn't have a need for boost at that point, but would there even be room to fit the dryer? Intercooler? Although I would still want to boost, even if at 5 psi... Is these setup feasible with a gen1 motor OR gen2 motor??

If this isn't an impossible task, I may just make this my project for the next year and a half. Gotta find me a nice k7 or k8 minus the motor, and a nice gen1/gen2 motor...

Now that's the best idea there is. Here's a couple questions I would have; How 'easy' is it to get the busa motor in a 1000? Probably wouldn't have a need for boost at that point, but would there even be room to fit the dryer? Intercooler? Although I would still want to boost, even if at 5 psi... Is these setup feasible with a gen1 motor OR gen2 motor??

If this isn't an impossible task, I may just make this my project for the next year and a half. Gotta find me a nice k7 or k8 minus the motor, and a nice gen1/gen2 motor...

I have not done this, However there are some very interesting pictures of an aussie bike that is a 1k frame with a stage 1 turbo busa in it over on Suzukib-king.org

God I love Lee "But he aint right"
Lord Bless his heart :)

Contact Lee Shierts directly if you are truly interested...Tell him you are looking to do something along the lines of his "Scud" project, i am sure he will help

Welcome to Lee's Performance

Lees Performance - #1 In Motorcycle Performance - Charlotte NC

Yea, that looks nuts. He did point out some issues with it tho.. Weight balance because of the heavy motor, having the stator cover sticking way out because of the size of the motor on the sides. I don't want to sacrifice any leaning ability either.. If only the 1000 motor was as reliable and solid as the Busa motor, I would have made my decision already! :cry:

hi i do have a 1300 turbo and also having a gsxr1000 k2 which i am going to turbo wanted to
put a supercharger on the 1000 but can only get 200hp on the back wheel looking at app 230hp on the 1000 and yes all depends on how well you do the set up have already stretched the swing arm 4" and done some other small mods the project should be up and running first week December can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!:beerchug:

GSXR1000 STAND.JPG

18.10.2009.03 054.jpg

Back