Busted 'busa

herooo

Donating Member
Registered
Hi all,

Just got back on-line yesterday after @ 11/2 months. I e-mailed Black Sheep (who I bought bike from earlier this summer) and prepared him for the bad news.

My bike is busted.

2001, 10,000 miles, Yosh 3 slip-ons, meticoulisly cared for, run a little hard, always warmed up first, oil and filter last around 8000m. Coolant flushed and tuned up around 4000m, no other problems.

I was running at around 120 in 3rd and holding (guessing) at around 9000 rpm (?) for about 20 secs. As soon as I came off the throttle......whack, whack, whack from the motor. Clutched it, then 3 secs later oil light came on, and I shut it down. .... it then seized. DONE!

I've moved to a really remote part of the country and only have one Suzuki dealer around. He seems ok, but I'm not sure what to do. He says that bike probably wasn't broken in right, but that seems like a lame reason for failure after 10,000 trouble free miles. Never leaked any oil, never had an oil light on, no previous noises etc. Bike has aleways worked great!

He is telling me the crank is to far gone to be turned, bearing is gone, rod and the oil pump is done. The top end apparently is O.K.

He wants 5000.00 Canadian (3500.00 American+-) to fix it. Says he wont put in used parts. It's hours away from where I am and I can't even go to see it. Shipping it somewhere else is not really practical just to compare prices as it will cost at least 1000.00 and a LOT of time (@30 hrs ). I'm on a job anyways so not really an option. He tells me 5 weeks before I will get it back.

Why is my 'busa busted? Is it really that far gone? I have looked at a lot of posts hear and haven't seen anything like this posted.

I was looking at tuning it a bit previous to this, but now I am contemplating a whole new engine? Was considering buying a tuned engine. I am worried about just fixing this one...can I trust it again? What can I expect with a tuned engine etc...$$$.

Help, I'm dying over here!

Not so "Cheers" this time.

Thats what happened to mine not exact but similar 10,000 miles and then knock knock knock spun 3 main bearings and a rod bearing so my block was hashed so i ended up getting a new block in the end i almost wish i bought a diffrent bike but my bike overboard and carrilo rods and hopefully bulletproof now sorry about your luck about your only other cheaper option is to possibly buy a complete motor off ebay for a bit less possibly i guess if it's rebuild time thought be a good time to over boar it and build it stornger thats what i figured

Thanks,

Any idea why it crapped out? What happened to yours?

&^%& this just sucks!

I've been looking on the net for a performance engine, but to no avail. I think I'm either gonna pony up the dough, or put away till next year and sort it out properly.

The fellow working on it will fix it, but I'm not really sure he's "the guy". No interest and seems horrified I would want more power etc..( you know that guy, don't you). You all seem to know so much about them, it kind of makes me feel really, kinda, duh..

Revillis suggested I rebuild (Thanks for repy, I dont feel so lonely now).....but, Revilis dosesn't know me! That really isn't a good idea.....

I'll put the $$ into it, and wouldn't mind lying to wife about how much it costs. Good opportunity to stuff some horses into it, but need advice. I love to ride (15,000+ miles in last few months (two bikes), but no way I could re-build by spring of 2007.

Good web sites, a buddy of yours who wants an even stronger engine, anything... C'mon guys help me out here, I really am dying over this. I MISS IT!!! I MISS MY BABY!!

Look at me, I'm begging to the world.
I'm going to cry now

Not so "Cheers"

Sounds like your weren't getting oil throughout the engine...Had a friend with a zx11 have a similar problem...If your gonna rebuild you may as well build bigger...The head is good you just need to be concerned with the bottom...While it's down have the transmission checked also...No since in putting it back together to have a gear start slipping...There are several companies that may a bore kit for the Busa...Just check them out...
evil.gif

The motor grenaded at 10,000 miles?!

Holy eff! I've run bikes well past that point and never had a problem.

You're either harder on your machinery than you indicated in your post or something went terribly wrong with that particular motor. That GSX mill should have proven sturdier than that!

My .02 only.

Hard to say with mine it was down at 2000 miles and i had to replace the stator and stator cover I flushed the system well but mabey i didn't do enought it's really hard to say the guy that tore it down didn't know either but it was pretty smoked when he got it granted it still ran but knocked alot if ya really can't afford bigger then just rebuild it better install the higher volume oil gear do some carrilo rods and some head work and cams then in about another year or 2 you can put boost to her thats what i considered but with no real turbo tuners near me i didn't want my bike down for a long time if something did go wrong so thats why i went motor granted i am toying with the idea of turboing this motor and buying a new busa or another one as a back up

Thanks guys,
Had a good "heart to heart" with the fellow who is going to rebuild my bike.

He dropped price a little and seems to understand my need for perfection. Still, he will not do any mods to the engine while it's down. Sticking to a power commander and full exhaust. Anything after that and I'm on my own again.
4-5 weeks from now and it should be back on the road....

...4-5 weeks......4-5 weeks.....owwwwww
Cheers

Thanks guys,
Had a good "heart to heart" with the fellow who is going to rebuild my bike.

He dropped price a little and seems to understand my need for perfection.  Still, he will not do any mods to the engine while it's down.  Sticking to a power commander and full exhaust.  Anything after that and I'm on my own again.
4-5 weeks from now and it should be back on the road....

...4-5 weeks......4-5 weeks.....owwwwww
Cheers
Heart to hearts are cool but their also worthless if you don't believe in the builder...If I were you I would search for a builder that had a reputation of building a quality engine...If your a true perfectionist then you understand what I'm saying...
evil.gif

Can pick up a Bare engine for around two grand US. Someone may even buy the engine busted as it is.

Hi Mark
Just checking out your posting and holly poop
That must be some fisherman in NFLD that looking at your bike
Please check out the address below that is the bike you looking for and he will take yours as a trade
Don't let the fisherman mess it up or it might never run again
Because I think that he is full of fish guts that bike was broken in very well and maintained properly
Even if you don't buy this bike but Richard could fix you up I would just take my time for this season
and have it ready for the spring One thing I know that for the kind of money his looking for to fix it
you could get a high performance motor complete
Keep in touch

If there is one thing I know about motors is the busa has one.
If you don't get it the best medical care for her, you will regret it even further on.
Buy the new motor , you will be happier.

Hi Mark
You got my phone number just gave me a call
Did you get in touch with Richard His bike got your name on it
Let me know how you making out with the bike
Take care

Back